Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Maybe that was mentioned before and I missed it. Thanks for the info

2. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I may be jumping the gun with this one but I'll touch upon it anyway.

So this movie has gotten some very good early reviews after it made its debut at a festival a little over a week ago. While some people write that Kurt Russell's son share the lead with Jovan Adepo, most seem to think of Adepo as the true central/main character. He has been getting raves for his performance too.

Anyway this is one of numerous films I've been keeping an eye on ever since Adepo was cast. I was particularly curious if he would have anything to do with the young white actress who was also in the film. Turns out he does. Let me backtrack a bit to explain that the film is a horror-action flick that takes place during WWII. Adepo is part of an American squad who make an emergency landing inside France and as they hide from the Nazis they come across some survivors of a devastated town. The main character of these survivors is played by that white actress I mentioned, Mathilde Ollivier. In some of the released scene photos from months back I noticed that Ollivier was typically in a shot beside Adepo, not any of the white actors. This suggested at the very least that the two of them formed some kind of a team or their characters had to work together a lot. Well, then I started reading some commentary from a few reviews about Adepo's character being very tender with hers. Now no one wrote there was a romance or anything and considering it is a movie about soldiers and citizens hiding out from and then fighting off enemy soldiers and zombies, considering the characters just met and that there probably isn't time for anything heavily romantic to develop, it wouldn't make sense for there to be a romance under such circumstances. But could there possibly be an undeniable attraction, a sweet bond, a kiss between them? I don't know. It could be that the two end up surviving the whole ordeal and make it out alive with the possibility that something could emerge later on (after the film is over). Then again I don't want to get anyone's hopes up because either one or both may end up dead. Just saying there may be something between them. With the reviews the movie seems worthy of being checked out regardless. Also of note Adepo and Olliver are almost always together when there are interviews being uploaded. This is something you do when your characters are the leads or at least interact with one another more than anyone else. Check out a link to one of the vids below.

Adepo is getting more and more work. Some of you have been enjoying him in "Sorry For Your Loss" which I have not seen.

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I agree this film looks regardless. I didn't even know it would even be suggested by the trailers and scenes I have seen. Hopefully I will get a weekend to check it out.

You have not seen Sorry For Your Loss yet?
    [​IMG]

lol...

It's the Adult show with IR in it we need for a break from all these YA IR shows. My only worry about it is if this is suppose to be on going story how do they make this show work from season to season. I hope this is just one of those limited series like Sharp Objects. They way it's written it works that way in my opinion.

4. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

HOLD UP, HOLD UP!! That's Jovan Adepo in that press run interview clip @JamalSpunky posted? That dude plays the brother-in-law on "Sorry For Your Loss". This whole time I've been watching "Sorry For Your Loss", I assumed the late Husband was being played Jovan Adepo, while the Brother-in-Law was being played by Aml Ameen. If Jovan Adepo is actually playing the Brother-in-Law, who the hell is play the late Husband?

5. JamalSpunky

IMDb is your friend.

Can't believe you got Adepo mixed up with Ameen. This is like mistaking of the Not Chiwetel Ejiofor all over again. :)

6. JamalSpunky

7. darkcurry

Mamoudou Athie
    [​IMG]

8. ColiBreh1

No Homo, but when I see Jovan Adepo on "Sorry For Your Loss" & in that press run clip JamalSpunky posted, It looks like he grew up into Leading Man looks compared to when he played the son in the black family on HBO's "The Leftovers". On "The Leftovers" he kinda looked like a nerd.

EDIT:

I just saw on Wikipedia that Jovan Adepo is gonna be part of the main cast on season 2 of Amazon's "Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan".

9. JamalSpunky

I barely watched that show although I hear its quite good and got better starting with season 2. Adepo caught my eye with those trailers for "Fences". I asked myself who is this dude. I realized he had to be impressive to star alongside Denzel and Viola. Then I learned he was British and laughed. Those black Brits KILL on the screen and fuck the African Americans who whine about their presence. I wouldn't be far more concerned about the state of black actors if we didn't have the foreign pools to pull from. White Americans generally embrace white performers from other countries, but many African Americans remain to short-sighted to understand how beneficial it is having a larger selection of black actors that Hollywood can pick from.

That's the least of his new jobs that I'm enthused about (okay maybe second to the bit overrated Ava DuVernay Central Park Five project). I'm not interested in the current Tom Clancy season and don't figure my enthusiasm growing just because Adepo is going to come aboard playing supporting star. Even at this early juncture if Adepo was white Hollywood would be testing out his chops by giving him more lead opportunities rather than saddling on some streaming show playing support to a lead who isn't even as good an actor as him.

10. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I hope there would be some loving in that flick.

11. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

It appears that Julia Roberts's character is married to Courtney B. Vance's character

I think this might be Julia Roberts's first on-screen IR role. (even though the movie clearly isn't about their relationship)

12. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Well, it helps that British people actually speak good English and don't talk like mumble rappers

13. darkcurry

Correct. Reading the character's names on their IMDB page they are the Burns Family.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7545524/

Julia Roberts Holly Burns

Courtney B. Vance Neal Burns

Lucas Hedges Ben Burns

Kathryn Newton Ivy Burns

Mia Fowler Lacey Burns-Beeby

Jakari Fraser Liam Burns-Beeby

They appear to be a blended family. My only problem here is why couldn't the older children been mixed race? Including Ben. I think Justice Smith would've done just as good of a job. I know that there is mixed families that exist like that, but I would've loved to see a biological IR family on screen. But I'm not hating because blended families like that does exist and it seems like the older kids took the Father's last name so this could be a good representation of a black male character on screen.

Kudos to Julia Roberts though, In her film last year her character's daughter was in a relationship with a black boy.

14. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

1. I think they got Vance's name wrong. It looks like his last name should be Beeby. Otherwise, the children's names make no sense lol

2. Which Julia Roberts movie from last year do you mean? I may want to check it out.

15. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Yes, they are a blended family. It's my understanding Courtney Vance's character, Neal Burns, is Ben and Ivy's stepfather and the husband of Holly (Julia Roberts).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  16. darkcurry

Julia Roberts' character's maiden name is Beeby. What's odd is that their biological kids are Beeby-Burns but everyone else is just Burns. lol. Something tells me due to the subject matter they probably won't explain that.

And the the movie I'm talking about from last year is called Wonder.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. ColiBreh1

Based in what I've heard about Julia Roberts in the past, I'm actually suprised this his her 1st IR onscreen

18. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

What exactly have you heard about her?

19. ColiBreh1

Earlier post from this thread:

Blind-item internet gossip forum from another forum:
    Everyone came to the conclusion this had to be Julia Roberts.

P.S. From what I understand, you can throw Nicole Kidman in the same category:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  20. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Wow, I did not even consider that option lol. So the black stepdad adopted the white kids, and they didn't keep mom's name. Fascinating.

Is 'The Wonder' worth watching for that relationship alone? I'm not up for a sad flick about a special needs kid otherwise. Too painful.