Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Saw it on one of those HBO channels weeks back.

2. hunterkil

hunterkil Member

anyone know which movie !!

3. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

I saw it too and remember being disappointed that with the crossover commercial success of the original that the studio couldn't get a bigger name White actress for the sequel (smdh).

4. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

An intoxicated Depp, her ex, made an off-color joke about Blacks in a June 2018 interview with RollingStone magazine that surprised me and went unnoticed by the press. Fuck his punk ass.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

LInk? But yeah I don't get the obsession with defending Depp lol. Yeah he was good as Jack Sparrow. He very much comes across as an asshat.

6. SilverSmith

Here is the article I read 3 years ago. Unfortunately, Rolling Stone has the full piece locked behind a paywall.

• List
  7. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less about Johnny Depp or his acting career and me liking him or not, has no bearing on why I'm not a fan of his ex-wife.

Every detail I've read (in articles and news sites) about her abusive and manipulative behavior is eerily familiar to the toxic manipulators I've run across in my own life.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. SilverSmith

If the details from Heard and Depp's libel lawsuit in the United Kingdom are to be believed, they are awful, damaged people. That will not deter me from seeing the next Aquaman movie.

9. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

98% of people in Hollywood has some awful toxic men and women of every race. It would be hard press to find a mainstream star that doesn't have some skeletons. I just found out last week that Madonna called her son the N-word. And did you guys hear what Matt Damon confessed to? lol.

Anyway I don't want to derail the thread because we can go on and on with the shady characters in hollywood so I'll stop there.

10. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

From my recollection . . . Madonna playfully and proudly used the five letter N-word ending with "a" while showing off pictures of her son. When a White woman has so heavily immersed herself in Black culture over several years . . . I allow them a revocable oral license on that word . . . but it isn't a permanent license though :)

11. Jeffrey Tripp

Jeffrey Tripp Well-Known Member

No she should have no license at all.

12. darkcurry

They can EASILY switch up. There have been other white women that immersed themeselves in black culture and then switched up and went back to their white spaces. She apologized for it and I do buy her apology over most of these other celebs because Madonna does love black people as much as she loves black culture. But that word is a no no and she herself admitted her ignorance of it.

13. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

One we might have missed Omar Sy stars along Virginie Efira in NightShift(Police)
    Its an interesting film told from three difference perspectives over the course of 24 hours.

3 french police officers are assigned to transport an illegal immigrant who had just been denied assylum to the airport. The plot starts to turn as the officers learn that the man they are transporting to the airport is a politcal refugee and upon returning to his home country will be arrested and most likely executed. One of the being side plots is that Virginie is married she is no longer in love with her husband and really does not want to be a mother to her newborn son, she and Omar in addition to partners at work are also having an affair. She finds out that she is pregnant with his child and has decided that she is going to get an abortion, she is wrestling with telling Omar's character while all the events of the film are happening

• List
  14. darkcurry

I did. Nice find.

15. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I'm an hour into "The High Note" so far & despite the fact Dakota Johnson & Kelvin Harrison's characters kiss in the trailer, this movie is another example of a film that completely downplays the IR in the trailer. This film could've legit been marketed as a romcom film starring Dakota Johnson & Kelvin Harrison with Tracee Ellis Ross & Ice Cube as just supporting characters. That's how much they downplayed it in the promotional material.

EDIT:

LOL at this big reveal in the last 10-15 minutes of the film.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. darkcurry

But that's what Genre it's under and youtube clips are also dubbing it as a romance. I seen it awhile back and overall it was an okay IR rom-com.

BTW Dakota Johnson did not want her and Kelvin's character to be together. I read an interview I think she did for NPR or whatever where she went full hollywood feminist with her character not needing a man, the film should be all about the woman and didn't want them to be together; and she just did it for the sake of a happy ending for the movie and audience.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Jeffrey Tripp

Yeah I remember reading that interview and it kind of pissed me off. She had just got done doing raunchy ass 50 shades with white dudes but when she has a black love interest she want be on a girl power trip.

18. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Wow! That seems like such a weak dumb argument from Dakota Johnson, I'm suspicious if that's really the reason she didn't want them to be together.

To be fair, didn't Dakota Johnson previously do a RomCom film where Damon Wayans Jr. was her love interest? It was the 2016 film "How to Be Single".

19. Jeffrey Tripp

Yeah she did and it was incredibly chaste, they barely kissed.

20. darkcurry

Ironically in that movie she chose to be happy an single over being with David in that movie. lol.

I don't know if she is like Ali Larter or not, but you would think a woman who is in a relationship with a musician(she's dating Chris Martin) would relate to a movie about falling in love with a... MUSICIAN! lol.

But that interview was just another example of how even though we are seeing more IR between bm/ww on screen it's still not very respected in hollywood including by the very people playing the roles. I guarantee you if her character was lgbt she would've took every second of that interview to pander and recognize the beauty of lgbt relationships and PROUD to put it out on screen.