Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Wished it was because l saw the movie more than once.

2. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I just got done watching "Let it Snow". Was anyone else turned off by the fact that Shameik Moore's love interest just looks too damn young? Their relationship onscreen just looked like a college-age dude messing with a chick in middle school.

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Not really. I didn't see what you saw. lol. I thought they both worked fine.

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Agreed. I thought it worked. I really liked the story.

5. ColiBreh1

ABC finally put up a full trailer for "Same Time, Next Christmas" on their official YouTube channel:

6. darkcurry

Favorite IR movie(s) or movie(s) involving IR of the year?

Mines was

The Wedding Year and The Pretenders

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT:

Oh and IO
    [​IMG]

Even though it was tough to follow it turned out to be a really good movie when you finally process it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  7. Soulthinker

Wished l saw those flicks.

8. Target 02

Target 02 Active Member

I got to see the scenes on Youtube. It looked like Kate Hudson slipped the tongue. A nice scene, just not long enough. Nicely told, though.

A Rhythm Section comes out at the end of January. Blake Lively and Sterling K. Brown will be a pair in some form, currently unknown how much other than the first trailer's brief interaction.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. darkcurry

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Well, damn.
    [​IMG]

That looks sexy.

I'm getting 9 1/2 weeks vibes minus the unnecessary water. lol.
    [​IMG]

10. Target 02

Target 02 Active Member

@darkcurry

Definitely curious what happens in this movie with that scene and if there's any more. :)

11. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

So back in late November or early December I was able to catch "Waves" in the theaters.

upload_2020-1-6_3-33-30.jpeg

What an experience. It was easily one of the more powerful pieces of film I've seen this year and perhaps the last few years. Of the so-called "black" motion pictures in 2019 this, along with "Luce", may rank as the best, even though its writer/director is white. It was far superior in my estimation to "Queen and Slim" which I got around to viewing just a few days later and was thereby able to make an easier comparison. Unfortunately for "Waves" the box office turned out to be a disappointment. I get that. This movie isn't for everyone, much of it is hard to digest. I don't understand however why it has gotten such few awards recognition. Apparently despite its critical acclaim it is divisive among those making these decisions.

SPOILERS follow. You've been warned.

I knew going into the film that the film would be split into two halves: the first one to focus on the teen brother of the black family played by Kelvin Harrison and the second to focus on his sister who is a year younger played by Taylor Russell. I was also aware that family strife would be at the center of the story as a result of some issues involving the son and a tragic death that occurs.

That first half of the film is nothing short of stunning. Filmmaking at its freshest and bold. Great direction, great camera work, great acting, great music. An explosion of colors.

Harrison plays Tyler, an accomplished wrestler who is hiding from his family and his coach that he has sustained an injury that should cause him to shut it down for the season. But this is his final year and the sport defines him too much for him to let it go. The person he wants to share the info with the least is his dad (Sterling Brown) who is loving but also highly demanding. So he keeps it all to himself and his life starts to unravel as he can no longer perform in his arena like he once did. Matters are made worse when his girlfriend that he is passionate about (Alexis played by Alexa Demie) tells him that she is pregnant.

upload_2020-1-6_3-51-52.jpeg

upload_2020-1-6_3-52-31.jpeg

Tyler supports her, takes her to an abortion clinic and waits while she goes in to have the procedure. But they are both unnerved by the abortion protesters who pester them as they arrive. Later when Alexis is done and is ready to go the couple gets confronted by another protester who says vile things to them, setting Tyler off a bit. Both of their emotions are frayed. As Tyler drives them back home Alexis tells him she didn't go through with the abortion. This leads to a heated exchange and Tyler says something to her so upsetting she gets out of his vehicle and walks home. Once he is unable to convince her to get back into the vehicle, the two continue their shouting match, him in the vehicle and her on the sidewalk.

Sometime later, maybe a day or two, when he is more calm and texts her she ends up sending him texts through which she breaks up with him. This gets him rattled. When he tries to text her back he finds out she has blocked him, when he calls he only gets her voice mail. Skipping ahead somewhat when the prom takes place Tyler appears to be out of luck. He has no date of course and he is staying in his house mostly to recuperate from his injury (after losing a match badly his physical situation became apparent to everyone, including his parents). He is in a very bad mental state and he doesn't help himself by checking on social media. He sees some mostly live videos of his friends and teammates having a great time. His ex-girlfriend is also at the prom looking to be enjoying herself with some new guy. He tries to block it out but he can't. So he starts to leave the house when he is confronted by his stepmom and then his dad who tell him he can't leave.He is able to get past his father (I forgot how it went down but it was executed believably) and get into one of the family vehicles.

You can guess where this is heading. He arrives at a house being used for dozens of kids at the after party following the prom. Included at this gathering is his sister, Emily. From a distance he sees his girlfriend go up the stairs with the guy she went to the prom with. Later on when she comes back down and walks towards a garage, he follows her. There are so many kids around and so much loud music no one notices. She is shocked to see him when the two are alone, asking why he was here.He asks her about the guy she was with which leads to another heated exchange. Turns out the guy is gay and one of he oldest friends but she pointedly says he wouldn't know that because he never took the time to get to know her friends. He winds up saying to her that he wants to be with her and that he wants them to keep the baby (she had told him in the texts that she would go back to the abortion clinic with her parents). But they are so angry with each other that she shouts she doesn't want to have his child or anything to do with him. This hurts him so he lashes out verbally. That hurts her so she stars hitting him repeatedly. He responds by striking her hard sending her to floor, head first. He didn't mean to do it, he definitely didn't try to kill her. He lost control for on moment and forgot his strength.

To wrap it up....she dies. Tyler gets arrested. Tyler goes to trial and is convicted, getting 30 to 40 years for the death of Alexis and her unborn child.

Yes, the black guy kills his girlfriend and goes to prison.

Before I comment on more on this let me briefly go over some of Emily's story which makes up the second half.

upload_2020-1-6_4-19-21.jpeg

It is almost a year later. The family is largely torn asunder after what occurred with Tyler. The mom blames the father for Tyler's situation, talking about how he pushed him too hard. Their relationship fractures and isn't repaired until the end. The father is dealing with so much at work and at home that he can't give Emily enough attention (she never blames him). The step mom is too distraught over Tyler to worry over Emily and ends up shutting herself off from the world. At school Emily now eats alone in the cafeteria. I'm not certain if she is in a new school or not but regardless she is a bit of an outcast at school and on social media because of what her brother did. So she shuts off from all of it. But a person comes into her life. A fellow student takes an interest in her, a boy named Luke played by Lucas Hedges.

upload_2020-1-6_4-26-8.jpeg

Luke is also a wrestler but kinda shy. He and Emily bond quickly. They become an item. They fall in love. Luke has issues regarding his father who was abusive towards his mom. But his father is dying so Luke and Emily travel across state lines to visit him. As Luke learns to let go of the past regarding his dad, Emily does the same with Tyler whom she had come to hate because of not just what he did to Alexis but to their family. She comes to understand forgiveness.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

CONTINUED....

The two teen relationships are very different.

Tyler and Alexis' relationship was very passionate, exciting, colorful, a tad mercurial. They were teenagers in love in a way only teenagers can be. Great chemistry. But we only got to see them when the relationship had already been in play for awhile, maybe a year or longer. He would go to her house and have dinner with her and her parents. There was a lot of kissing and obviously they had sex. But there was never a sex scene.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The relationship between Emily and Luke was drastically different, at least on the surface. They were more quiet, softer, sweeter, gentler, maybe even more adult considering their tragic family situations. Since we see the beginning of their courting we get to see them actually fall in love and thus there was more tenderness. They were given a love scene, which I'm sure was the first sex that either character ever had. They had no arguments (unrealistic I know) and at least from a high school teens perspective they got a much happier ending.

[​IMG]

Now you may wonder why I would be praising this film if it does the very thing a lot of us hate : destroying a black man's relationship with a non-black woman, making the black guy do a horrible thing; pair a black woman with a white male, make the WM/BW pairing seem ideal. Well, putting aside how fantastic the film was done, it is important to know that the first actor picked to be in the film by the writer/director was Kelvin Harrison; they had worked together previously. And the writer/director gave Harrison a choice. He could either play Tyler or Luke. Harrison chose to play Tyler because he felt it was the far more interesting role. And he wasn't wrong on that. But because of that choice the main family of the film went from being likely white to a black family. If Harrison had chosen to play Luke he would have been the sweet black boy to fall in love with the white girl from the broken family. From where I stand I do sort of wish Harrison had chosen to go that route. Even Sterling Brown was worried about the implications of him playing the black jock that kills a woman. However Harrison responded that he didn't think the decision should be determined by racial dynamics. From a career perspective I understand why he chose the part of Tyler. Harrison has gotten fantastic acclaim for his performance and most consider his half of the movie to be the strongest part, the half that lingers with you the longest.

By the way we do see some of Tyler later on in the film while in jail. There is no doubt he is suffering more emotionally for the loss of the woman he still loves.

Anyway this brings me back to a debate I had over this film in this thread months ago. As I mentioned back then I have no issue with people including IR involving a black male and a non-white woman despite the tile of the thread emphasizing "BM-WW couples". I get that. At this point we are happy with any hetero IR relationship involving a black male no matter what form it comes in. But the point I was making then and now was to NOT sell this movie on this site and in this thread as one that involves a black male and a white female. Alexa Demie is not white. She is a brown-skinned Latino in real life and in this film. Her folks in this movie are brown Latinos too, the ones you don't mistake for being white judging by their appearance. The ONLY black-white in this movie is the one played by Taylor Russell and Lucas Hedges. BM-WW onscreen pairings don't get a point for this flick, WM-BW pairings on the other hand do. Period.

Also a little note that does not have anything to do with what occurred on screen: I think Kelvin Harrison and Alexa Demie are dating. They may be keeping it a secret mostly but there is some evidence of it. They have gone often to some Q&As for the film together without other cast members. During Q&A with the entire cast Harrison and Demie made some comment that both humored and intrigued the audience about them getting to know each other "very well" before shooting started, They have appeared on each other Instagrams or twitter accounts travelling with one another (one location was not for a Q&A), leaving heart eyes underneath the pictures of one another, writing stuff such as "I' so lucky". I found this through some quick searches at times coming across fans pointing it out. Again, nothing has been confirmed but I do remember Harrison saying in an interview a year back that he had fallen in love and insinuating it happened on set. As long as he wasn't gay I could think of only two possibilities, two projects that would have occurred around the time he made this claim. At first I thought it was the white chick from Godfather of Harlem whom he hung out with a bit. When I came across a video of Harrison and Demie goofing around on set for this movie though I could see that the two of them really liked each other and that she seemed especially interested in her. Can I confirm they are an item however? No. I just thought I'd toss it out there.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. ColiBreh1

Looks like we missed on another Christmas Lifetime movie that aired this past holidays starring 2 former CW actors (Percy Daggs III from "Veronica Mars" & Jana Kramer from "One Tree Hill"), "Christmas in Louisiana":

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  14. darkcurry

Seems kind of similar to one of those other Christmas movies mentioned here.

Jana Kramer is a beauty too.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. Soulthinker

I am glad you mentioned the synopsis of that flick. The negativity of BM/WW relationships are apparent. I would not spend a dime on that movie.

16. Target 02

Target 02 Active Member

Another sneak peak from The Rhythm Section with Blake Lively and Sterling K. Brown.

Via IMDB's photos

[​IMG]

17. darkcurry

I got to read the synopsis of this film again.

18. Soulthinker

I read the Wikapedia on the character played by Jamie Foxx. The prisoner before his arrest had a IR with a ww as well as his son.

• List
  19. darkcurry

As I was trying to search for the synopsis of The Rhythm Section online a commercial for it just came on when Evil went to a break. So I remember now what it is about. I might go see this film. But one of the things it's Rated R for is "Strong Sexual Content". The last movie I seen in theatres with Strong Sexual Content in it was The Mountain Between Us.

20. Target 02

Target 02 Active Member

I think Jude Law ends up being the villian and from the trailer, Sterling Brown finds her in distress and tries to help her find redemption. I find solace in the fact the sex scene in the alley isn't a one-off thing between them and they are more heavily involved.