Kamala Harris' "blackness" is questioned

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DudeNY12, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

Their problem with pharmaceuticals is accessibility, cost and genuineness. Lots of fake drugs from China that scare people. Usually they try all sorts of home remedies before scratching the money together to go to the hospital.

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Yet they won't try something simple as weed smh.

3. Madeleine

You may want to organise a weed campaign informing them of all the beneficial effects of it. They just don’t know it has that medicinal side. They associate weed with Fela Kuti kinda crazy. (You know him?)
    I think they are open to that sort of thing though. My sister in law was telling me some sort of medicinal property of some odd plant or food on a daily basis when she was here. Cassava cures cancer, garlic does this and that, kola nut is for impotence, raw Shea for arthritis, bitter leaf for liver and Malaria, it goes on and on...they are hard core into phytomedicine so get your weed campaign there, you might be very successful. I’ll connect you to people when you are ready.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I'm talking the past. Remember the western world as we know it was colonized by a bunch of puritanical Christians who didn't believe in pleasure

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Nah I'm not interested in saving humanity. I only seek to understand what I can.

Donating when I can is as good as it's gonna get.

I'll look up Fela Kuti for the sake of gaining more of an understanding.

I pass on knowledge when I can but i won't make it a mission.

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I considered that, but when I looked deeper, I don't think that's the issue.

Take religion for example, it didn't wipe out their traditional beliefs, they just added it on to what already dominated the culture.

7. Madeleine

Fair enough, I’m just saying cos you said „they won’t try something simple as weed“...they might if they knew...

Fela Kuti is the father of „Afro-Beat“ and resistance musician.

8. Madeleine

Long and short story is, if ganja had been an actual African thing before colonisation it‘d still be there. But it’s an Indian thing, it came from Hinduism as far as I know. Indians brought it with them to the Caribbean where the Rastafaris incorporated it into their religion.
    That’s not to say there aren’t any weed smokers. I used to have some weed smoking African neighbors when I was at uni. It’s not an actual cultural thing though, it’s just something they learned through reggae and liked.

9. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Yes, but since it's from India, maybe there just isn't the culture that has evolved around it in the west. I imagine that even in Africa, it's probably something more associated with urban areas, and not really viewed as part of indigenous African culture, or outside their cultural norms.