Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

Wish Spike Lee had been hired to direct this movie lol. He would have delivered something timeless for a film that no one really saw or remembers because of its wasted IR potential and unbelievable lack of romantic realism. Its worse than that Tiger Woods parody financed by Adam & Eve where Kayden Kross is cast as Elin Woods but refused to do a love scene with her black husband . . .I argued that such a scene would serve as the emotional pivot/catalyst for her vengeful angst and outburst when she chased Tiger into the driveway while brandishing his favorite 5-iron and breaks his windshield . . . without the legitimacy of their love scene on film how was the audience to connect with them as a couple and her righteous outrage when she learns of his repeated betrayals with Waffle House waiteresses?? She said" Don't worry about who I choose too fuck on film" or something to that effect. Bitch, you are supposed to be his loving yet wronged wife and the mother to his kids . . . they should have cast someone else SMDH.

2. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Tiger's Wood? I had not seen it but saw the poster.

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Charlize Theron has been done in kind of the same way. Don't forget about the deleted kissing scene in Hancock with Will Smith. And her thrown away sex scene with Idris Elba in Prometheus.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

They be thinking about what racist people are comfortable with when it comes to portraying black men, white women interracial relationships onscreen. Instead of you know, interracial relationships.

4. darkcurry

I meant to mention this when we first started this conversation, but I seen Annihilation last week and turns out I was right

http://www.whitewomenblackmen.com/f...al-sightings-on-tv.9970/page-103#post-1079974

Her short and terrible sex scene with the brotha she was having an affair with shouldn't even be called a sex scene because they weren't even in the same shot. So you can pretty much say they probably wasn't even in the same scene. She was seen from the back nude on the bed in the cowgirl position suppose to be "riding him" but you never see him not even hands on her hips or back. Then they showed a shot of him laying down looking up at her with no sign of her in the shot whatsoever. But she was kissing and frolicking around in her underwear with the latino guy playing her husband. Pointless sex scene if you don't want the actors in the same shot. Hell what was the point in even making him black if you didn't want to be in the same shot with him in a intimate scene? Well, critics did praise this movie for it's female characters and RACIAL DIVERSITY! So there you have it. Remember she was a producer on this movie as well. Let's not lose sight that some of these actresses, especially mainstream ones with some power think like the racist white men in hollywood when it comes to black men. To me that sounds like they had a discussion in casting and came down to a compromise of what would make Natalie comfortable with a black man being her lover in a affair.

But when you get critics not only blinded to that, but applauding it for it's diversity you can get away with it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

I saw annihilation in the theater and enjoyed it. Not sure if a graphic sex scene was necessary. Not having the characters have any intimacy was a contrast to her relationship with her husband.

6. darkcurry

I kind of agree, but I'm talking about how the sex scene was more than likely filmed. Not even in the same shot speaks to what I said that Natalie Portman probably didn't want a black man touching her in any intimate way, especially when she is nude and in a sex position. But I think they threw it in there so that viewers could see what was they alluding to about her saying "she owed him that." She cheated and had an affair. They handled an affair that went on for awhile in such a cold manner too. She was so standoffish to him during their entire scenes together he should've been just a fuckbuddy. lol. But they failed at capturing their relationship, even though it was an affair there are feelings in affairs. Any other time we seen those captured with more substance. And seeing it as too much to have a black man and a white woman even in the same scene of intimacy was more unnecessary than a graphic sex scene.

7. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I don't know about this, my man. You seem to be suggesting that Portman was in control of all of this. She was working with an auteur who had total control of the film as well as final cut. If anything he was the one calling the shots. Look, the script was always what it was, these characters were always what they were, their actions were always what they were. I'd be willing to bet that the man her character had an affair was not initially conceived as black in the script. They likely gave him the role because he was able to audition for it and won out. Now if you want to point out that it is pretty convenient and gutless for them to give the black guy that part rather than say the husband role then I can see where you're coming from. That being said I don't think the intention was to ever have some sex romp scene between her and the dude she was cheating with; it wasn't that type of film. It doesn't matter if their "sex scene" didn't have them in the same shot. It was all about evoking memories and the director chose specific angles to best convey the mood IMO. The scene was shot with blue light if I remember correctly to convey a coldness. My counter to your critique is that in the past 30 years they wouldn't ever allow the implication of a white female lead having a relationship or sex with a black guy at all; that would have been seen in the past as a sure way to for audiences to lose sympathy entirely with this character for good. So this is a glass half empty/glass half full scenario. It depends on the person observing. You think of it is an intentional slight that ended up being insulting. I think of it as baby steps in the right direction, a slow but sure sign of progress in that even if the affair was deemed a mistake, the film presented a scenario in which a black male lover was an option at all for a central white female character.

Last of all I can't accept this theory that Portman was the one who made demands that the black actor would not be allowed to have physical contact with her. Unless we have proof of that why go there? Portman isn't someone known for love scenes anyway, especially not of late, so I could buy her being uncomfortable with such things but not because of the race of the men she will have scenes with. Her being a white feminist is not solid evidence of anything. There is no evidence that no-sex-with-black-men is some widely known stance of white feminist actresses. Hollywood's double standard racism on the other hand is another story entirely.

8. darkcurry

Are you saying this in support of her and the film because you liked it? I'm being totally neutral here. The affair played a major role in her decision making throughout the film again remember she said about being there in the first place was that she owed him that, the exact words being “I owed him, so I went in." and that is when they cut away to the sex scene. The black guy(Daniel) alluded to them having an affair for an extended period of time and was even still pursuing her in the beginning and sold the affection better than Portman. In their final scene together she was cold as if that was the one night stand when they have been carrying it on for awhile. That is not progress my friend, would you call the movies we talked about prior as progress. Again this is one of the comfort levels with some of them. Take away the interracial would you be okay if hollywood wanted to keep screen time to black co-stars at a minimal and call it progress. Be careful what you are good with as it could very well stay like that and matter of fact that is one of the reasons why you still have some producers in Hollywood doing IR between black men and white women how they see fit, especially with lead roles. What you would call progress they could very well turn into and HAS turned into "The Ceiling", another barrier. Racist are good for putting up barriers. Do you really think they would've done it the same way if it was a white man she was cheating on her LATINO husband with. That could very well what they want you to believe, be careful what you turn a blind eye to. Filmmakers has mastered the art of illusion and psychological advantage over their audiences. On the TV show Life Sentences her character had a fantasy of having an affair with a white Doctor on her black husband and they filmed the fantasy sex scene between her and the white doctor she had feelings for with kissing, fondling and clothes being tore off. So think about that, brotha.

And Natalie Portman, what you just said was kind of a contradiction(I highlighted it.) if you could buy her being uncomfortable with sex scenes as to reason why it was filmed the way it was then that means her demands were met. Plus again she had an intimate scene with the guy playing her husband; in her panties, him shirtless frolicking around and kissing each other. She's not shy from love scenes. Now you could point to the fact she was nude from behind in the sex scene, then why not argue that with the producers? Again if her comfort demands were being met? Some say the "sex scene" was unnecessary and I see a attempt at a sex scene that was done poorly due to behind the scenes issues... because the the affair was presented to the audience in such a poor way! And that's why some people like you guys probably think it was unnecessary, not paying attention to her and David Gyasi's mysterious scene in the beginning where he invited her to a cookout over his family's house, their long affair being mentioned and her alluding to the affair with Daniel which led to the sex scene. They had to give the audience something about that encounter with Daniel(David Gyasi) in the beginning and give meaning to what she meant by she owed him that, as that was the reason why she went into the shimmer. That was the main reason why she went in. This was just done poorly so I understand how some missed it and didn't understand the "sex scene."

Natalie Portman has very little to do with racial diversity in Hollywood when asked a question about it I think a year ago she categorized people as "women and minorities". Her crack at the all male nominees at the Golden Globes was tone deaf as she then awarded the best director award to a Mexican Director. You could see that in a different way, but to me when people talk like that as if women and minorities are two separate groups and failure to notice those MALE minorities it speaks of
    BLITHE RACIAL IGNORANCE. One of the problems with #MeToo and #TimesUp are the blithe racial ignorance that some of these white actresses behind it have. Don't forget Emma Stone tried the same "All Male" thing at the Academy Awards in a category where Jordan Peele was one of the very few Black Directors nominated. Some of them don't understand or care that Hollywood is a WHITE man's world not a black man's world. And because of that blithe racial ignorance they think they know what they are talking about.

We can't be blind to mainstream white actresses just because they're white and pretty... and in the spotlight and are having very little interaction with a black man and think that means something. It isn't just white men in Hollywood. Hell it isn't just white men overall that are uncomfortable with black men and white women being together.

but out of curiosity what white mainstream actresses do you see that are white feminist?

9. Young Herschel

You guys are making some very valid and compelling points about "Annihilation" lol. I have to see it fr myself before I weigh in though. In regards to another sci-fi release recently referred to Alien Coventant (sequeal to Prometheus) had an IR nude love scene in it but . . . .

SPOILERS ~

The brotha got ate by the alien monster as he was just about to slip his tip in her oh la la la (SMFH)

10. darkcurry

Yeah, that was tough. But at least while they were kissing in the shower they were in the same shot. lol.

11. Young Herschel

^^ True indeed . . . yo that ending was so predictable to me that it was anti-climatic in a way but it was still a decent release and I like it better than Prometheus because it had the old feel at least in the beginning of 1986 Alien.

SPOILERS!!!:

How do they justify though having those full-body space suits & helmets on board the Covenant . . .
    . . . but no thought it would be proper protocal to wear them during the initial foray into this alien bio-sphere and ecology???? I was screaming at the damn DVD lol and I had to pause the damn thing. Like I don't care if it seems similar to earth . . . it ain't earth dammit so follow proper procedure!!

12. JamalSpunky

I thought the film was fine but no masterpiece. I don't see how what I thought of the quality of the movie itself would result in me dismissing racism if I legitimately felt there was ample evidence of it.

Yes, in the screenplay her character did feel she owed her husband because of her betrayal. That's logical, it makes perfect sense. We never got to see how the affair developed between her and Daniel, what led to it, etc. But that's okay. What this film pretty much alludes to is that in the mind of Portman's character the affair was a mistake and she has moved on from that whole thing. She's not apologetic enough about it to tell her husband what had occurred, but she's leaving that part of her life behind. Daniel, even though he was still married to, has not moved on. With her husband's disappearance he probably has renewed hopes that they can initiate the affair again. This suggests that he may have always had more fondness for what they shared than she ever did, that he has emotionally connected to her more than she did him.

Not feeling you with this. You tell me to not be lulled into being fooled about what is progress but I think I'm as acutely aware of what is happening in the industry as anyone on this site. If this type of interaction between a black man and a white woman had been going on in the same manner for the past ten years that we see in Annihilation for the then you would have a stronger argument. But as I pointed out before the suggestion of any type of intimacy between relatively young white women and black men, even as friendship, has been so scarce for the last four or more decades that this history between Lena (Portman) and Daniel is almost revolutionary (as a first step) by comparison. Take the scene in which we first see Daniel. He is talking to Lena, expressing his concern about her mental state, blah, blah, blah. I'm going to guess that MOST people who watched the film initially, would have never thought that Daniel and Lena had had an affair. It would have been more of a possibility of foregone conclusion that this was a possibility if Daniel were white because audiences always give white guys the benefit of the doubt of being able to woo leading ladies, win the affections of women or be accepted as sexually desirable. But a black man in a scene with a white chick, particular the lead white chick? Unless the overtones were explicitly obvious or unless the black guy was played by a huge star like Idris Elba, audiences are going t be caught off guard by a plot point that deals with this black guy engaging in an affair with a white woman. And audiences will likely be caught off guard because that is not the type of scenario they expect so far as black men are concerned. Say what you want about Daniel he at least has a libido. Not the insinuation of beastly lust that used to be depicted of black men with white women in all forms of the media. No, this was something more human and adult. Daniel had an unapologetic sexuality that Denzel Washington in his prime wasn't allowed to infuse within his characters. Which further proves to me that the character wasn't black when originally written into the script. That's just my opinion.

Yes. Because such scenes have been done like that for decades even with all white casts. You act that this is the first time directors have pulled such a stunt. Hell, for all any of us know there is an extended version of this scene that is more physical that may have been cut for time (something else that happens a lot)

Trust me I'm good.

Why do I need to think about it? Are you trying to actually educate me on the double standard when I've been raging about double standards for ever on this site? I can list plenty of examples that support what you are saying for sure. Nonetheless it is arguably unfair for you to compare two totally different types of work in two totally different type of mediums by two totally different type of creative teams who made it for two totally different type of audience. You might as well as compared the latest Power Rangers to this movie. Also Life Sentence is an hour weekly show which means it has more time to go into the details and sow moments that a motion picture can't. Plus that show is a bit of a soap opera which counted on relationships and romantic triangles to keep things interested and viewers engage.

By the way I must ask that some of you guys need to step back from the ledge so far as Life Sentence is concerned. You get way too upset at a so-so show which despite your complaints did have an attractive black male-white female couple as the main focus. Since we hadn't gotten much of that previously that too is progress.

They're not mutually exclusive.

Man, I don't even recall those sex scenes which sows you how much they didn't stand out to me.

You'er pretty much providing reasonable explanations yourself why possibly they did the scene the way they did. Here's my further thoughts. They made a decision to show the last night of the affair, just before it was ended. By it being at the final night between them, with her probably knowing it was going to stop after this last romp, there was no need for any presentation of hot, lustful sex. That's better suited for the earlier part of an affair. There was no need to show her being happy or anything because we can ascertain she probably always ad guilt about the affair and she never loved Daniel in that way. She needed some human contact for the times she got lonely. Her seeking out sex outside of her marriage made her more human because she was flawed. Making Lena more three dimensional and giving her a credible reason why she thought she owed her husband so much was likely why the affair with Daniel was written in the first place.

Now with all that out of the way you still haven't provided enough evidence IMO to back your assertions regarding racist overtones in this film. There are so many legit examples in so many films that I'm curious that you would go after this movie. I still doubt Daniel was envisioned as black when created for the screenplay so all of the faults of the character in terms of how he is viewed would have been there even if he was white. So all that's left is debating whether racism had a role in how the sex scene was portrayed.

13. JamalSpunky

I'm all aware of what Portman did and what Stone did. Nonetheless that is not clear evidence of racism or any discomfort among black men. When people accused some porn stars of being dodgers they were justified because so many of those porn stars owed up to their discrimination. These white feminists in Hollywood that you are deriding have never made such similar remarks. Hell, they don't have to because the are almost never put int a position in which they had to be intimate with a black male on screen. Now is that because of their own stipulations or is that just Hollywood being Hollywood? Granted there is legitimacy in noticing how many of these women worship at the feet of black females while seemingly having little to no relationships with black women. That said I won't jump to conclusions without more proof before I start branding them as some type of bigots. Are all of those ladies in Hollywood (who fall under this classification) racist. As much as I'm frustrated them in terms of who they date, I still can't go the distance and think of people like Portman in that way.

14. darkcurry

Have you ever seen The Mountain Between Us, FOCUS or Fahrenheit 451? I consider that progress. I consider those movies belonging in such a Thread. Not Annihilation.

Remarks? Are you waiting for racism to actually come out of their mouths? Are you aware that some racist people will argue that they are? Racism isn't actually taught as racism. That is one of the reasons why pornstars are comfortable with the excuse of saying they have the right to choose not understanding it has nothing to do with them CHOOSING who they work with. All that means is you are CHOOSING who you work with based on race and skin color you are still judging or misjudging people by their race on unproven facts that they didn't even try to look into. Just doing whatever people in the industry told them to do. Evidence BECOMES clear! It isn't outright clear especially when people would know there views might not be accepted to the general public. Not every racist in Hollywood is going to go full Roseanne Barr. Racism goes much deeper than remarks it is a culture, theory, ideology, ect.

Be careful what you are defending it can be used against you. The movie which I did like btw isn't the argument here. Two different mediums can share the same type of characters in movies, plays and shows. What if you heard about a movie with one of my favorite actresses right now the BEAUTIFUL Alicia Vikander and a black male actor and they decided to make their intimate scenes in the same way that they did with Annihilation by writing the story of the characters in the same way that you defended it being with Annihilation. Would that be okay since it's okay with this movie? Is it still progressing if the story. Do you think the racist people in hollywood hear audience feedback with the same sentiments you have in thinking "there was no need for any presentation of hot, lustful sex. That's better suited for the earlier part of an affair. There was no need to show her being happy or anything because we can ascertain she probably always ad guilt about the affair and she never loved Daniel in that way." That they wouldn't write characters in interracial relationships with the same personalities and the same type of feelings and type of relationship that they seen people to be okay with and shoot any intimate scene including sex scenes between the two in the same way because as long as the black male character and white female character are like Lena and Daniel audiences would be okay with it.

And nowhere did I say or that guy that made the youtube video exposing this say that there was need for hot, lustful sex. Even though that is how Hollywood does affairs anyway. Again they weren't even in the same shot not even hands shown so you could say they weren't in the same scene together because it was literally two solo shots of both actors. That is MY argument if it was just them in bed together after sex or cozied up and she lied there for awhile awake and decided to get up and then walk over to the window like she did that would've been just fine because there would be nothing there, but as SOON as they cut away to a sex scene and they weren't even in the same shot, I could see in the beginning when they showed Natalie from the back because they obviously wanted to hit a surprise on the audience, but if you remember they revisited the sex scene later after it was first revealed it was Daniel she was having sex with. What would be the point of the two solo shots when the audience already know who she was fucking. Look I'm opened to giving the benefit of a doubt, but what I'm not open to is labeling such a sex scene like that, progress. No, @JamalSpunky. LOL. Can't do it, man. So we are going to agree to disagree there. I can not defend that sex scene. I wouldn't even put it in the IR Sex Scene Thread. lol. Don't you dare do it. lol.

But before I go, I really need to take my ass to sleep. Just curious again, what do you mean by "people like Portman."?

15. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

That entire film made me feel itchy as hell, but I enjoyed it in spite of the ending.

16. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I was kind of surprised it was even in the film. It also seemed like they used a body double at one point. It seemed very out of place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was necessary at all. I wonder if their scenes were storyboarded that way or edited to what it was in the film.

18. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

An ensemble comedy starring a whole bunch of people, (IR between Common and Jennifer Gardner)

19. JamalSpunky

Common has become the go-to black guy for IR storylines. Maybe the first black male actor who has had more white onscreen love interests than black ones.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  20. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

What other movies has Common done where he was involved in a IR? I can't think of any off the top of my head.