Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Watched the Netflix Movie The Week Of with Chris Rock and Adam Sandler last night

By reading some of the wording from the reviews I see another movie where I believe the critics are just showing how they aren't use to these stories being told with a more diverse cast, especially with an IR couple so you guys would have to judge for yourself. Me and my gf liked it.

If you liked Our Family Wedding you will like this film too. Same kind of premise, but done in a different way. Funny and touching IR comedy.
    [​IMG]

2. darkcurry

Taye Diggs again. lol. This time with Lucy Lui... so I guess she doesn't count. lol.

It looks okay, but I'll let you guys judge for yourself

Set It Up | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix

3. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Saw the French film "Let The Sunshine In" starring Juliete Binoche and in one scene she was dating a brother played by Alex Descas. To my disappointment his character wants to be careful after she held his hand and kissed. Wished there was a love scene.

4. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

RIDE

5. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Wait......what? Ludacris adopts a 20-year-old man and teaches him to ride a bike?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. darkcurry

7. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

Weird that like 20 years after hooking up on Fox's Ally McBeal . . . Taye & Lucy reunite ???

8. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

9. darkcurry

Cool casting. But let's be real this is considered the modern day safe IR pairing. Because they will be the parents of the main stars. Focus won't be on them, only to sell the film like they are doing now. But I love this because it probably is going to be a big movie and it is kind of in a way the BM/WW version of Ava Duvernay's casting for AWIT. Directed by a white woman too.

So it has my support. It would be funny if this turns out bigger than AWIT. I can hear the jealous anger of bw now.
    [​IMG]

10. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

True indeed . It is just safe roles with no it lovin.

11. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Let's hold up for a moment. There has never been a "safe" pairing of a black man and white woman in Hollywood films before. Not just with lead characters but in supporting roles or bit parts too. Any suggestion of a black man and a white woman being in a relationship of any form has pretty much been taboo. This casting may seem blase safe to you guys but it is a step in the right direction.

That being said this isn't even the biggest Jolie news this week. It has been confirmed that Chiwetel Ejiofor has been cast as Jolie's love interest in he sequel to "Maleficent".

http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/05/exclusive-chiwetel-ejiofor-in-talks-to-join-disneys-maleficent-2/

Tyler James is cast as the boyfriend of a white lead in a romantic comedy

https://deadline.com/2018/05/tyler-james-williams-sarah-hyland-the-wedding-year-movie-1202399230/

And its fullsteam ahead for an updated Jack Johnson film which will of course deal with BMWW relationships too.

https://deadline.com/2018/05/jack-j...reen-oren-moverman-giannina-scott-1202401310/

12. darkcurry

Hollywood has become lenient towards as long as it is done in a way that doesn't show any affection, love, ect. it's acceptable to those certain white males in Hollywood. Family movies are usually safe with any couple is the main reason I said that. But remember even though Guess Who's Coming To Dinner is considered groundbreaking they too had to make sure the relationship was done to obviously a white man's comfort. That is why the one and only kiss was silhouette. That pleased white men especially white men in Hollywood that was allowing this film to take place. Do you think a black man would've done a kissing scene like that? And have it be the only kiss?

It's the same with some of these TV IR couples that seem to be unstable, hardly romantic or involve a love triangle with a white man. That is their comfort level involving bm/ww IR couples. Not every racist wants black men and white women COMPLETELY away from each other. Some of them have this comfort level to what degree they are okay with IR couples.

But with that said like I said I'am looking forward to it sounds good on paper. Looking forward to those other movies as well, but the Jack Johnson project might be difficult to make into a biopic feature film. If you ever seen Unforgivable Blackness you would know how complex this man's life was with SO MANY layers to his story and really good and important stories as well. I personally would love to see it turned into a mini-series maybe like in the way Ryan Murphy does his American Crime Story series.

13. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Last year in this thread we discussed a theory about Hollywood is more willing to allow big name film actresses to be involved in IR onscreen when she's older & past her physical prime. These 2 Angelina Jolie casting announcements keep in line with that theory.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  14. darkcurry

Almost forgot about that part too! Your right. Although some mainstream actresses in their prime made it through those cracks. lol. Margot Robbie is a good example.

15. Young Herschel

I found myself thinking the very same thing when I saw young and tender Angelina Jolie as a nude love interest of old ass Danny Aiello of "Do the Right Thing" and "Harlem Nights" fame back in the 1990's . . . but they made sure too put Denzel's ass in a wheel chair when they starred together just a few years later in "The Bone Collector" lol. Angelina even did that Civil War made for TV movie back in the 1990's where she played a plantation heiress but no IR love scene was tenable for her and her favorite slaves (damn the powers that be all to hell!!)

For me the prime Angelina was wasted doing vanilla movies while married to Billy Bob Thorton. Imagine if this movie were set in New Orleans, LA with a predominantly black cast rather than Montreal, CN: ~ just replace the mother of the antagonist with Ruby Dee and replace the antagonist Ethan Hawke with Don Cheadle and what a box office hit this movie may have been! That IR love scene with Angelina's white, creamy blessings clapping together as Don puts it to her would have been SPECTABULOUS!!!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  16. darkcurry

^^ Now that you mentioned that film Bone Collector she also had a black love interest in the movie Hell's Kitchen. It was Mekhi Pifer where it featured a topless sex scene with a white man, but not only no kissing or love scene with Mekhi, but if I remember correctly they had very few scenes of affection overall for them to be lovers in the film.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But this is what I mean by Hollywood having a comfort level with black men and white women onscreen. There are things they're comfortable with and there are things they are not comfortable with black men and white women interracial relationships being portrayed in films... especially with mainstream actresses. Now days you still see certain things like this, but now some of these racist in Hollywood don't mind showing affection & intimacy between a black man and a white woman onscreen just as long the relationship either doesn't work out, involve cheating or it is a love triangle with a white man.

17. JamalSpunky

But here's the thing...even that's a rarity. Also isn't it ironic that this mirrors interracial dating of white hollywood actresses : they are more prone to step out with black men, those rare times they actually do, once they are well into middle age.

18. JamalSpunky

Beat me to the punch on this one. I always remember this movie because Jolie was at her hottest during that time. This was a blind rental for me and I was caught by surprise to find out early in the film that she was playing Phifer's girlfriend. But I grew disappointed as I realized someone (studio, director) wasn't too comfortable with this and gave Jolie the hot scenes with everyone other than Phifer. The closest to physical intimacy she got with Phifer came in a crowded car scene just before a robbery. The two characters kiss but it was blocked in such a way you couldn't really see it or tell if they were kissing at all. Utterly ridiculous.

19. JamalSpunky

You can't blame that on race though. The film was based upon a series of books in which the protagonist was in a wheelchair and white as well. They did racebend casting and picked Denzel for the part and kept the story the same. Now, what you can say is that sine there was no chance of sex between the two characters, casting Denzel was not that risky of a move.

20. Young Herschel

WHAT
    IN
    THE
    WORLD?!?!?!?

I had this movie in my hands years ago at a store but wouldn't buy it because I was cynical about its IR content as I knew for sure that if such IR content existed that this movie would be better known . . . that was my logic for not purchasing it. So there was no romance at all for these two newlyweds?!?!?!? Now I have to watch it on Kodi because the box never even implied that Mehki Phipher and Angelina Jolie would be paramours at all!!

Damn . . . damn . . . DAMN!! That fat old fucker Danny Aiello gets to have casual sex with Angelina back in the same decade of the 90's but Mekhi doesn't even get to kiss the bride?!?!? Newlyweds should credibly be fucking and sucking their hearts out so how did this transpire?!?!? I have to watch it now lol