IR in Music Videos thread

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Nellie, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Jeremih's 2009 hit "Birthday Sex":

2. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Has anyone remember Tara Kemp's videos like Piece of my Heart and Hold Me Tight? I remember in 1991 when she flirted with Don Cornelius on Soul Train.

3. ColiBreh1

Chris Brown's 2007 hit "Kiss Kiss"

4. beeehave

beeehave Active Member

I remember her performance from that episode. She really got hot and heavy with one of the dancers, so much so that Don Cornelius almost stopped the performance. I have searched for years for that footage but have yet to succeed. I still have wet dreams when I think about her appearance on that show.

5. ColiBreh1

Chris Brown's 2008 hit "Forever":

6. ColiBreh1

Chris Brown's 2013 hit "Fine China":

BTS

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  7. ColiBreh1

8. ColiBreh1

Chris Brown's 2012 single "Sweet Love"

BTS

9. Summerred

Summerred Well-Known Member

Jojo. I'm not so sure about it because there is also a WM in this videoclip. She seems confuse about pick the BM or pick the WM, i guess one of them is an old love and the other guy is a new love and she end up the video alone, so the audience don't have a real "winner".

10. Jeffrey Tripp

Jeffrey Tripp Well-Known Member

The Black dude is the ex that she couldn't get over.

11. Summerred

Summerred Well-Known Member

Right. I'm just thinking that this isn't exactly a perfect BM/WW music video because there is this other guy between them. So you don't have a couple but a love triangle and personally i'm not big fan of love triangle.

12. beeehave

beeehave Active Member

You are not alone. Most of us here do not like such triangles, especially where the conflict involves the black male/white male dynamic. As history has shown inevitably the black male is the loser of such triangles.

13. ColiBreh1

Just watched it. I'm surprised to see Jojo is now using explicit lyrics in her music. It was shocking too see Ariana Grande start doing it with her current album. But if arguably the biggest female pop star is doing it, it gives the greenlight to other female singers to do it.

14. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I odn't like love triangles regardless, but it will rarely be between two black guys unless it's Zara Larsson. lol.
    [​IMG]

Someone involved with the video probably told JoJo it will be "offensive" or people will get upset if you had two black men as the love interest. Because something tells me she wouldn't mind. lol.

15. ColiBreh1

In 2021, in this post-George Floyd ultra-woke era we live in now? Especially with Jojo basically being an irrelevant quasi-independent R&B artist? IDK about that.

16. darkcurry

Interracial between bm/ww is frowned upon no matter what era. No matter what is consider mediocre. R&B is apart of the 'black community'.

It's not far fetch to think that those in making this video was careful to how they displayed this white girl doing R&B with two guys vying for her affection. Thinking how a certain some will take that. I personally think with JoJo it wouldn't be a big thing, but when you are afraid of backlash or probably against having a white girl be the love interest of two black men yourself people will use that as an excuse.

17. ColiBreh1

LOL, who are you assuming the backlash would be coming from, though? What is the demographics of Jojo's fanbase?

18. LucasBanner

LucasBanner Member

For real. Her fan base is almost exclusively younger white girls, something tells me they wouldn't mind lol

19. darkcurry

I don't think you know what I mean. This is the last time I'll break it down because I don't think you understand where I'm getting at. R&B is 'black' music. There are and will be those within the R&B fanbase that will feel some type of way about a white woman being the object of affection played out with two black men. If you honestly think there wouldn't be a section of R&B fans not okay with seeing white women being the main love interest or object of affection of two brothas I don't think you've been paying attention. lol.

It don't matter her fanbase demographic. The genre has a fanbase as well. But the backlash wouldn't come from her fanbase anyway because of well it should be obvious. lol.

20. ColiBreh1

For real? I would assume most of her fans are millennials.

I mean...she just won a Grammy last year for a song she did with a black male singer & she was his love interest in the music video.

Jojo is basically an indie artist. I don't think she's big enough for anybody to care.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021