BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

That's a reasonable assumption but consider me a justifiable cynic after all of these years of seeing networks try avoiding giving a black male lead a white female love interest or a white female lead a black male love interest. I'll pose this theory again: if it was a black female lead, let's say a track athlete, who was going from the inner city to Beverly Hills do you think the showrunners would have cast a pilot without at least one possible white love interest to show off in the promos? I don't think so. Besides if they cast white actresses later on in the season, if it last that long, those characters would likely be recurring characters because the main cast has already been chosen for the pilot. Of course a recurring character could be bumped up to a regular cast member, but why wait?

Also let me call out how one of the biracial chicks seems to already be going out with one of the white football players. Let me be a bit blunt....I see less black women hooking up with white football players than I see hooking up with British royalty. I'm exaggerating a bit of course but the sight of a black football guy with a white chick is far more common whether it be at the high school, college or pro level. Yet this show, to no surprise, went with the rarity instead. And I doubt they did this because the showrunners felt it would be more artistically daring. They did it for the typical reasons: America's fear of the black dick. They are less comfortable pairing black boys with white girls. Its the same old story.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. JamalSpunky

I gotta say "God Friended Me" should not work at all but the trailer does do a good job of making it out to look like a well-executed feel-good show. Or at least a very good pilot. The lead already looks far more compelling than he did in that Mayor sitcom.

3. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Why do you put Ivy & Dixon on such a pedestal? Of Dixon's 3 IR on "90210", Ivy & Dixon is the 1 I care about the least.

Having discussed the show with other brothas who watched the show a few years ago, I get the same sentiment.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  4. JamalSpunky

Yeah, I didn't care much for Dixon-Ivy either.

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

So happy he got another shot. Its rare to see a black dude get that

6. The Dark King

Yeah I was a much bigger fan of Silver on every level.
    Shes gorgeous

7. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Yeah, but be aware of this industry giving these shots at scripts they wouldn't give to white guys. I'm not saying this will be a bad show, but usually they give too many black guys the real good roles. Mehcad Brooks coming off of desperate housewives fame was suppose be the next hot ladies man in TV and movies, but he just didn't get those roles and scripts. Derek Luke got the Denzel Washington seal of approval when he was a young up and comer and same thing happened with him. They still give these good roles and scripts mainly to white guys.

8. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Royal Wedding where biracial woman marries white man was on Malcolm X's birthday

Make of that what you will

9. RicardoCooper

Will Smith and Martin Lawrence would like a word

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. RicardoCooper

Your taste is in question not the quality of "Bright." Just the kind of mid-level matinee flick we would have gone to theatres to see in the early 2000s before huge superhero block busters took over

11. RicardoCooper

Both Michael and Donald Glover are having big cultural moments right now. Great to see

12. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

I was so passionate about the potential of DIVY because their relationship developed so naturally . . . they were friends for five months before they began to truly date and that gave them such credibility because teenagers do develop like that when its really real love. Go watch the last three episodes of season 2 on NETFLIX and tell me that DIVY's teen relationship felt forced, rushed or artificial like ADDIXON of season 4 who basically ignored one another for three whole seasons???

The reason it probably didn't resonate with most people was because it was so poorly produced after the season 2 finale. If the original executives of 90210 had been miraculously restored to power then the Dixon & Ivy build off that planetarium scene and Dixon keeps Ivy safe and secure all summer in AUS. Ivy's mom Laurel is such a liberal she lets them share a luxury suite at the Sheraton in Melbourne and/or Hilton in Sydney. Basically what I'm getting at is they were CLEARLY sabotaged by Rebecca Sinclair and her writers as Dixon was emasculated, denigrated, and humiliated deliberately to make the other guys look better - he abandoned Ivy in AUS because his parents were breaking up?? For 91 days she was left at a luxury summer resort where in the best scenario dozens of dudes would hit on her in his absence . . . worst scenario Ivy becomes the next nightly feature on "Nancy Grace Live" as the new Natalie Halloway!!

Basically Dixon violated his core values (his libido was an essential aspect of his identity in season 1 & 2 remember?? So by the fourth or fifth night they fucking or the second week of sharing a luxury suite together as teenagers with natural hormones are apt to do right?) and all his suffering and misfortune stemmed from a choice neither he nor any other healthy heterosexual black teenager would make (plus he turns 18 over that senior summer and Ivy doesn't fly back to Beverly Hills for her boyfriends big, birthday?? She clearly has the money to make the mission as the aforementioned episodes make apparent)

They introduced the unforeseen love triangle with a white guest star (recurring motif most recently seen on Life Sentance) and his teenage sex drive is in full throttle while DIVY foresakes an unbelievable opportunity to consumate their newly declared love for one another at the first major UNSUPERVISED house party of the school year where multiple luxurious bedrooms are first come basis (Naomi gets one where she stripteases three dudes). Teddy walks in and breaks up the festivities before a drunken gangbang ensues but what if when Naomi comes knocking she finds that room already occupied as Dixon is dick deep in Ivy's abdomen as she chases the biggest wave of her life while riding her boyfriends big, black surfboard??

See the lost potential that was purposely omitted by Rebecca - 90210's EP. She wanted you to grow disinterested in DIVY so she made them lame & boring whereas her predecessors Gabe Sachs & Jeff Judah wouldn't have short-changed DIVY or sabotaged them in favor of a misguided personal agenda. I long for the potential that was so apparent over those last three aforementioned episodes of 90210's second season . . . and because Dixon never recovers as a major character on the series on which Gabe & Jeff cast him from Mike on "The Wire" to be the "Black Brandon Walsh" and male lead of the first season *sigh*

Of all his loves . . . Ivy Sullivan clearly loved Dixon Wilson the MOST . . . a teenage love so deep she would shame most black girlfriends if faced with the same hardships . Silver swallowed all Dixon's boys . . . ran thru his whole crew and even his brother too (remember Marc ??) Where was the love or even respect when Silver was fucking and sucking everyone ?? Ivy never did Dixon like that she respected him all summer and even after they broke up she didn't fuck his friends and family plan like Silver did to taint the memory of SIXON

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  13. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

The point is that they have discovered something very unique and magical happens when BM and WW hook up.

14. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

What did he say?

15. darkcurry

16. darkcurry

Welp, there goes part of my Summer Night TV plans. lol. I wasn't working at all at night this summer neither.

Midnight, Texas: Season Two; NBC Series Expected to Return This Fall
    [​IMG]

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/...-two-nbc-series-expected-to-return-this-fall/

IMO They should've kept in familiar territory instead of moving it up to the primetime Fall TV schedule with all those heavyweights. I know what they are trying to do with it airing in October, but it gave a summer night feel last season. They'll have to change the vibe. I wonder what time slot they are giving it.

17. The Dark King

Damn that sucks

18. darkcurry

lol. Summer Bummer. I hope they give it a fair time slot and not try to compete with AHS.

19. JamalSpunky

Meh. Never understood why you dudes cared for that show. I'm more bummed (although not devastated) over the cancellations of "Life Sentence" and especially "Falling Water".

20. The Dark King

Just saw the season finale of Timeless. So damn good "You guys want to get Rufus or what" dopest line of the series. I pray there's a season 3