INTERNATIONAL AND CULTURAL MUSIC

Discussion in 'The International Perspective' started by z, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Inner Beauty

Inner Beauty New Member

Jews are often identified as belonging to one of two major groups: the Ashkenazim, or "Germanics" (Ashkenaz meaning "Germany" in Medieval Hebrew, denoting their Central European base), and the Sephardim, or "Hispanics" (Sefarad meaning "Spain/Hispania" or "Iberia" in Hebrew, denoting their Spanish, and Portuguese, base). The Mizrahim, or "Easterners" (Mizrach being "East" in Hebrew), that is, the diverse collection of Middle Eastern and North African Jews, constitute a third major group, although they are sometimes termed Sephardi for liturgical reasons.[32]

Smaller groups include, but are not restricted to, Indian Jews such as the Bene Israel, Bnei Menashe, Cochin Jews, and Bene Ephraim; the Romaniotes of Greece; the Italian Jews ("Italkim" or "Bené Roma"); the Teimanim from Yemen and Oman; various African Jews, including most numerously the Beta Israel of Ethiopia; and Chinese Jews, most notably the Kaifeng Jews, as well as various other distinct but now almost extinct communities.[33]

The divisions between all these groups are approximate and their boundaries are not always clear. The Mizrahim for example, are a heterogeneous collection of North African, Central Asian, Caucasian, and Middle Eastern Jewish communities that are often as unrelated to each other as they are to any of the earlier mentioned Jewish groups. In modern usage, however, the Mizrahim are sometimes termed Sephardi due to similar styles of liturgy, despite independent development from Sephardim proper. Thus, among Mizrahim there are Iraqi Jews, Egyptian Jews, Berber Jews, Lebanese Jews, Kurdish Jews, Libyan Jews, Syrian Jews, Bukharian Jews, Mountain Jews, Georgian Jews, and various others. The Teimanim from Yemen and Oman are sometimes included, although their style of liturgy is unique and they differ in respect to the admixture found among them to that found in Mizrahim. In addition, there is a differentiation made between Sephardi migrants who established themselves in the Middle East and North Africa after the expulsion of the Jews from Spain and Portugal in the 1490s and the pre-existing Jewish communities in those regions.[33]

Despite this diversity, Ashkenazi Jews represent the bulk of modern Jewry, with at least 70% of Jews worldwide (and up to 90% prior to World War II and the Holocaust). As a result of their emigration from Europe, Ashkenazim also represent the overwhelming majority of Jews in the New World continents, in countries such as the United States, Canada, Argentina, Australia, and Brazil. In France, emigration of Mizrahim from North Africa has led them to outnumber the Ashkenazim and Sephardim.[34] Only in Israel is the Jewish population representative of all groups, a melting pot independent of each group's proportion within the overall world Jewish population.[35]

2. Paella

Paella New Member

Sephardi Jews are Jews who define themselves in terms of the Jewish customs and traditions which originated in the Iberian Peninsula before the expulsion of Jews from that area in the late 15th century (after Islam was replaced by Christianity as the governing religion), and usually defined in contrast to Ashkenazi and Mizrahi Jews.

3. Paella

Paella New Member

[YOUTUBE]d5QCm3uDDN4[/YOUTUBE]

4. Paella

Paella New Member

[YOUTUBE]X-pvo2lFByY[/YOUTUBE]

5. Paella

Paella New Member

[YOUTUBE]vMHcqBDUz9o[/YOUTUBE]

6. AnMDBCartoon

AnMDBCartoon New Member

7. z

z Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]nrWC5nOtTjw&list=RDnrWC5nOtTjw#t=117[/YOUTUBE]

8. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=RNYC3kAsPiw[/YOUTUBE]

9. Be-you-tiful86

Be-you-tiful86 Well-Known Member

I love this German song :)

She sings about her favorite person and describes what makes their friendship so special.

[YOUTUBE]3ryohiCVq3M[/YOUTUBE]

10. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

BYT86,I can't see that video in the US,however I heard and saw the lyrics that was in German. On the lyrics video it is mostly of WW with no brothers.

11. Be-you-tiful86

Yes,of course. Not all Germans date interracially.
    Nevertheless a very beautiful song with good lyrics.

12. guychoy

guychoy New Member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  13. Be-you-tiful86

Some German amateur rap. I think it sounds pretty cool even without a complicated beat system or fancy music video. One of the guys took a breath from a balloon filled with helium :)

[YOUTUBE]LbLfg5m3tns[/YOUTUBE]

14. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]MSE_-IHfbjU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]mqTMfbjAfnI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GoRFOtdaHOA[/YOUTUBE]

15. Morning Star

[YOUTUBE]MXajpkR5cGo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7gaQMUecZQc[/YOUTUBE]

16. Morning Star

[YOUTUBE]hVqrW-fPOQ0[/YOUTUBE]

17. missshyness

missshyness Active Member

This reminds me of an old record in the family that is of Bulgarian folk music, my mom would play it, and I loved their voices, it is hard to describe, beautiful, and ethereal.

So beautiful, the singing and the colorful clothes they wear.

thanks for posting.

18. Morning Star

Indeed. Meeting many of them actually helped cemented my love for this sort of music, on top of Celtic music. I'd say with all the music in the world, these gems ought not to be forgotten.

19. missshyness

missshyness Active Member

I have been a bit curious about Celtic music, maybe I should check it out more, get in touch with my heritage, I supposedly have a little bit of Irish.

This music is unique, not in the mainstream, so it tends to get overlooked.

I do remember the guy I think it was Micheal Flatly not sure if that is right, it was the guy who danced with all those Irish dancers who only moved their feet and have their arms and hands at their sides.

The dancing looked a little funny to me at first, but upon watching more, it must take a lot of strength, endurance and coordination to dance like that. I think there is a story to why they dance like that, was an expression of repression or something.

20. Morning Star

I did a little Riverdance myself, though very basic and not nearly as grueling as the performances shown. It requires fast footwork, concentration, and above all, a great deal of patience, since you need to invest in a lot of time to get your body in a hyper-ballet mode. But, the music is just phenomenal, though the Celtic music you hear from them are more pop-oriented. If you want to hear some real Celtic music, look to someone like Enya, Celtic Women, Aoife Ni Fherraigh, Sinead O'Connor among many, who can bring out a great deal of passion and classic bits of Celtic music.

[YOUTUBE]HW1ILAVHtis[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]spBU4mpJA1c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]upIVMjnEm9c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]IfngXJMyoS4[/YOUTUBE]