GOOD COP / BAD COP

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bliss, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I have been coming across thought-provoking stories the last few months that have outlined the opposing (handling) behaviors of two cops facing the same situation.

Starting with this one...more to follow.

Police Officer fired because he DIDN'T shoot an armed black man

[​IMG]
    Ronald RJ Williams

A rookie cop who joined his hometown’s police department after serving in the Marines was fired because he didn’t open fire at a black man who told him: ‘Just shoot me.’

Stephen Mader, 25, had responded to a domestic incident on May 6 – and found himself in a confrontation with an armed black man on the street in Weirton, West Virginia.

[​IMG]

But Mader used what he learned in the Marines and his police academy to assess the situation - and did not shoot Ronald ‘RJ’ Williams.

‘I saw then he had a gun, but it was not pointed at me,’ Mader told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He said it was by Williams’s side and pointing to the ground.

Mader said he began to use his calm voice urging the 23-year-old, of Pittsburgh, to put the weapon down while standing behind the man’s car.

‘I told him, ‘Put down the gun,’ and he’s like, ‘Just shoot me.’ And I told him, ‘I’m not going to shoot you brother.’’

Mader said Williams started flicking his wrist to try and get a reaction – but still he didn’t shoot.
    ‘I thought I was going to be able to talk to him and deescalate it. I knew it was a suicide-by-cop situation.’

But before he could, two other Weirton officers arrived on the scene. When Williams walked towards them and brandished his weapon – which was later discovered to be unloaded – one fatally shot him.

An investigation by West Virginia State Police concluded the shooting was justified.

Mader also believes the other two officers were justified in shooting Williams, adding: ‘They did not have the information I did.’

He added: ‘All they know is [Williams] is waving a gun at them. It’s a shame it happened the way it did, but, I don’t think they did anything wrong.’

On June 7, he was handed a notice of termination saying that he had ‘failed to eliminate a threat.’

It also mentioned other incidents in which the city deemed Mader behaved inadequately.

Williams’ family, however, believe the decision to fire Mader shows the nature of the police department’s policy.

‘Not only do they think he should have been shot and killed, but shot and killed more quickly, an attorney for the family told the Post-Gazette.

Mader had grown up in Weirton and was ecstatic to land a job in the police department after four years in the Marines, which included a tour of Afghanistan.

[​IMG]

He married his high school sweetheart Kaycie Mader five years ago and the couple have two sons, aged one and four.

After his firing, he sought legal help to fight the city’s decision – only to be told there was no point because he could be fired for any reason in an ‘at-will’ state.

They told him he could ask to resign instead of being terminated, but Mader refused to admit wrongdoing.

‘To resign and admit I did something wrong here would have ate at me. I think I’m right in what I did.’

His wife agrees, saying she is ‘extremely proud of her husband.’

[​IMG]

I'm proud that he noticed what the situation really was and didn't shoot, I'm proud that he's standing his ground, and I'm proud that his side of the story is finally out,’ she said on Facebook.

2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Good for that cop and I hope we see more cops speak out on this incident if not, handle situations the same way.

3. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Shocked?

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Fired for not shooting an unarmed black man? What. The. Fuck?!

When I was in corrections, an inmate made an escape attempt. The tower officer first ordered(through a bullhorn)the inmate to stop or he will fire. The inmate kept running and climbing the fences lined with razor wire. The officer fired a few warning shots. The inmate kept running. The officer grabbed an AR-15 and fired at the inmate. The inmate was hit in the femur and chest and died. All the inmates had to return to their cells for an accurate count and to learn the identity of the inmate who tried to escape.

It was ruled a good shooting except for one detail; while the tower officer gave the inmate a verbal warning, he said, "Please don't make me kill you."
    That sent ripples throughout the prison. In the academy, we are taught to provide care, custody and control of the inmates. We are not told to kill inmates. This bit of news also sent a message that the tower and perimeter officers, whom are are armed, are ordered to kill all inmates.

Tower and perimeter officers do not get to advance from that duty.

I am sure that this cop will be hired somewhere else.

I salute him.

5. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

My goodness. One of the changes I think need to be made are the people that do the hiring of these law officials needs to be changed to like a board or group. Do cops go through psych evaluations?

6. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Sickening.

I still am trying to wrap my head around why that 25 year old police officer was really fired.

Why is negotiating with a suspect from a safe distance not considered an option, just to get him to put his weapon down??

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

After I resigned from the Department of Corrections, I went to Wackenhut Security to get a job. After I signed the application, I was given a test. It was designed to determine your personality. I was sent to a counselor to explain the answers that I had written. I found out that I was going through a bout of PTSD after leaving Florida State Prison. So, based on the counselor's recommendation, I was not hired.

I believe that law enforcement does offer counselling, if it is needed. However, based on the needs of the precinct, and if an applicant is fully qualified(I,e military), they will take that person in a heartbeat. Security companies also grab these folks because of their training, discipline and dedication to duty.

However, unlike Wackenhut, counselling services are not provided for officers. These services are out of the pockets of the security officer.

I needed counselling during and after my time as a CO.

8. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]a4nJhjGRuzg[/YOUTUBE]

officer gets head while driving.

Does this count as good/bad cop:smt043

Good cop: he was getting head.
    Bad cop: he swerved a little .

9. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

That cop should be congratulated. You will not hear that on Fox News.

10. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Not on CNN either

11. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I was horrified when I heard about this. It's yet another example of how police culture has gone terribly wrong. It's like they've shifted from "protect and serve" to looking for reason to use force/deadly force.

Kudos to the ex-officer for doing the right thing.

12. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

To me, this is what a cop HERO looks like.

When you can SAVE a life by not ending a life, you deserve utmost praise.

Agree 100% DudeNY12 the culture of law enforcement and the criminal justice system is totally upside down, to the point it would require federal intervention to correct it.

I just can't fathom how it seems to be general operating procedure and FIRST option for a cop to murder someone instead of deescalating a situation so deadly force isn't necessary.

13. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

This story verifies everything.

Where's paniro?

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Texas police officer fired after he tried to feed a feces sandwich to a homeless person

4 November, 2016

A police officer in Texas has been fired after he gave a homeless person a fecal sandwich, officials say.

[​IMG]

San Antonio Police Officer Matthew Luckhurst bragged to a fellow officer in May that he had picked up some feces, put it in between two slices of bread before placing the 'sandwich' in a Styrofoam container,My San Antonio reported.

He then sat the container next to a homeless man, police officials said.

The officer reported that he told Luckhurst, a five-year veteran of the force, to go back and throw away the container.

The officer said he watched Luckhurst go back and assumed that he threw it away, but it's not confirmed that he did.

Authorities searched for the homeless man, but have not found him as his identity is unknown.

Another officer reported Luckhurst's actions to his supervisor, who then notified internal affairs of the shocking incident in July.

The case was investigated and presented to both civilian and sworn review boards in October, which recommended that Luckhurst be placed on indefinite suspension from the police force.

Police officials said Luckhurst had been assigned to downtown bike patrol for about a year before he was fired this week.

Police Chief William McManus met with Luckhurst and said that 'type of behavior will never be tolerated.'

'This was a vile and disgusting act that violates our guiding principles of 'treating all with integrity, compassion, fairness and respect,'' McManus said in a statement.

'The fact that his fellow officers were so disgusted with his actions that they reported him to internal affairs demonstrates that this type of behavior will never be tolerated.

'The action of this one former officer in no way reflects the actions of all the other good men and women who respectfully serve this community.'

In a statement, San Antonio Mayor Ivy Taylor said that the firing 'was the right thing to do.'

'His actions were a betrayal of every value we have in our community, and he is not representative of our great police force,' Taylor said.

Luckhurst reportedly plans to appeal the indefinite suspension and declined to comment.

His attorney, Ben Sifuentes, said that his Luckhurst never actually gave a homeless person an excrement sandwich, claiming that it was a joke.

'The 'joke' spiraled out of control, he said, and has turned is client into the subject of unfair persecution,' Sifuentes said. 'It didn't happen.'

He added that there are no eyewitnesses or video recordings to prove the incident is real.

'I'm confident that in arbitration, we will prevail,' Sifuentes said.

Joke, my ass. Bet he was waiting for the "punchline" when the homeless guy took a bite.
    Thank God the two other cops worked to remove him from the force.
    See ya, fucktard.

15. archangel

Mark my words, he will get his job back or go to another department.

16. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

UnBelievable! :( Update on story l've been following

'Corrupt' ex-cop SET UP slain Baltimore detective so he would find a stash of planted heroin and frame a drug dealer that he wanted off the streets
    By Jennifer Smith For Dailymail.
    01 Dec 2017

[​IMG]
    ^ Good Cop........................Bad Cop ^
    • Sean Suiter was going to testify about a 2010 search of drug dealer Umar Burley's car
    • He carried out the search at the request of Wayne Jenkins, one of the seven former officers now on trial for federal racketeering charges

• Jenkins allegedly planted 28 grams of heroin in Burley's vehicle then told Suiter - who he said was 'clueless' about the plot - to look inside it
    • The discovery of the drugs led to Burley being sentenced to 15 years in prison
    • On November 16, Suiter, 43, was shot in the head as he canvassed about a year-old murder case he was working on
    • His partner took cover and did not see his killer who is yet to be identified
    • Suiter was due to testify before the grand jury in Jenkins' case on November 17
    • Federal prosecutors have now charged Jenkins with additional charges over the 2010 incident
    • As a result, the Baltimore PD finally relinquished their murder probe into Suiter's death and asked the FBI to take over
    • Suiter was never suspected of being involved in the corruption scheme
    • It is now clear when he learned the drugs he found in 2010 had been 'planted'
    [​IMG]
    Victim
    Before he was murdered, Sean Suiter, 43, (above) was going to testify about how Baltimore PD officers used him as a pawn to frame an enemy drug dealer they allegedly planted heroin on in 2010
    An ex-cop under investigation for corruption set up a slain Baltimore detective so he would find a planted stash of heroin in a drug dealer's car, senior police officer say.

Wayne Jenkins, who was part of a disbanded police unit, is said to have duped Sean Suiter into finding the drugs when he searched Umar Burley's car in 2010.

Suiter, 43, was shot dead with his own gun while canvassing a neighborhood in Harlem Park on November 16 - just days before he was due to testify about the search.

The father-of-three was wearing a suit and had been going door-to-door to speak to residents about a triple murder the previous year.

His partner has since described how he was shot in an alleyway after being lured into it by a man who was behaving suspiciously. No other description of his killer has been given and he has not been found.

Suiter was due to testify the next day at the trial of seven former Baltimore PD colleagues who are accused of drug dealing, stealing money and widespread racketeering while running the Gun Trace Task Force, a disbanded unit of the department.

The FBI has now taken over the investigation into Suiter's death because of the overlap between the homicide probe and the corruption case.

He was going to give evidence about a 2010 search he performed on the car of convicted drug dealer Umar Burley after a high speed car chase which Wayne Jenkins, one of the defendants, allegedly asked him to carry out.

Burley, a prominent crime figure who prosecutors had been desperately trying to pin down, was jailed for 15 years as a result of what Suiter found in his car - 28 grams of heroin, neatly stuffed into 32 individual packets.

Prosecutors now say Jenkins, determined to put Burley away, planted the drugs in his vehicle after he crashed it at the end of the chase to ensure a heavy sentence.

He then asked Suiter, who was 'clueless to his plot', to look inside the vehicle, knowing he would find the heroin and that it would be enough to finally see Burley go away for a substantial amount of time, they claimed.

Though he had been convicted of drug offenses in the past, on the night in question, prosecutors say Burley was innocent. He nonetheless spent seven years in jail, half of a 15-year sentence, for the discovery that Suiter made.

Now, not only is the US Attorney's Office in Maryland asking that Jenkins be convicted of additional charges but they also want Burley's drug conviction for the 2010 raid to be vacated - a humiliating request for an office which spent years tirelessly trying to put him behind bars.

[​IMG]
    Disgraced Baltimore PD cop Wayne Jenkins (above) allegedly planted the drugs inside the car of convicted drug dealer Umar Burley (below)
    [​IMG]
    in 2010 after Burley crashed at the end of a high speed chase. The discovery put Burley - who prosecutors had been trying desperately to nail - behind bars for 15 years and was hailed as a judicial triumph

On Friday, Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis revealed that the crime is what Suiter planned to tell the federal grand jury about when he was killed as he asked the FBI to take over the murder probe.

Jenkins now faces racketeering charges for his role in the alleged corruption scheme and an additional charge of the Destruction, Alteration, or Falsification of Records for the 2010 incident. If convicted, he could face an extra 20 years behind bars on top of any conviction yielded from the corruption trial.

For local investigators, it further complicates the ongoing murder investigation into Suiter's death.

IMO, the partner taking cover and not getting a description raises a question, but he may have not been near his partner..
    As for the bad cop, he sucked at his job so bad, he had to trick another cop to frame a drug dealer...THEN had the innocent cop-turned-detective murdered when he blew the whistle on him? Despicable and unconscionable. Death penalty if MD had it!

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

This is CHILLING... but not surprising. Good on him for speaking out but a damn shame he waited...

Former commander exposes NYPD’s corrupt disciplinary process that often gave cops special treatment

By GRAHAM RAYMAN
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    MAY 28, 2018

As the commander of a unit that investigated detectives' misconduct, Warner Frey got a harsh education on the unfairness of the NYPD's disciplinary system.

Frey, who retired in 2015, told the Daily News earlier this month that as head of the Detective Bureau investigations unit from 2012 to 2014, he saw firsthand that high-ranking NYPD officials routinely meddled in internal probes and cops with the right connections often got special treatment.

Frey said chiefs overturned his recommended punishment for cops who had juice or influence...

For the rest of his expose....(it's not long but well worth the read)..
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...dynews&dc_data=645923_mp-metropcs-metroweb-dc

19. archangel

lmao
    not only should he not be an FBI agent but should not have a gun.

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

OMFG! Unacceptable. He could have killed someone.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018