Game of Thrones & GOT Spinoffs

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Max Mosley, May 26, 2011.

1. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

It looks like House of the Dragons has begun their casting search and is due to begin production in January with a target date of 2022 for premiere. From the looks of it the focus of the series will be Targaryen civil war known as The Dance of the Dragons. There have been rumors for months that HBO has been trying to cast Alicent Hightower and Rhaenyra Targaryen, but nothing confirmed but a casting call has now apparently gone out for Daemon Targaryen as well.

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/08/17/house-of-the-dragon-prince/

PRINCE DAEMON TARGARYEN (Male, 40-50) – The younger brother to King Viserys, Daemon wasn’t born with “naked ambition” for the throne despite being in line for it. He’s less methodical and more impetuous. Not to mention easily bored…stumbling from one distraction to the next with the subconscious yet singular obsession with earning the love and acceptance of his brother the king. Most of Daemon’s joy is found at sword-point. But even as the most experienced warrior of his time, he vacillates between vile and heroic, making him the true rogue of the series.

SERIES LEAD. OPTIONS ESSENTIAL *This role is currently scheduled to film between January – December 2021*

Fans of the books series Fire and Blood and the Rogue Prince are very familiar with Daemon who is probably the most interesting Targaryen to never sit on the Iron throne and who is actually quite pivotal to the ASOIAF universe since every king to sit the Iron Throne after the Dance is his direct descendant. He is also the one of the most polarizing characters in all the books.

If it is true that this time frame is being used as for the show I think it should be pretty good as the Targaryens were at the height of their power at this point, there were more dragons than dragon riders, they controlled 6 of the 7 kindgoms and were generally well regarded and over the course of a couple of years we see the beginning of the end of the Targaryen Dynasty as the dragons died out, a string of ineffective, corrupt, or short lived kings, and further war chipped away at their power. We would also get to see some of the other powerful houses of Westeros that we did not meet in the GOT series. House Hightowers of Oldtown in particular as well as the other family of Valerion blood in Westeros House Velaryon of the Driftmark. There are also a bunch of interesting characters that you see during this time frame as Criston Cole, Aemond Targaryen, Nettles, Cregan Stark(small part), Plus all the other cool events that took place within that time the death of Viserys I and the coronations of Aegon II and Rhaenyra, the murder of Prince Jaehaerys by Blood and Cheese, The Butchers Ball, the storming of the dragonpit, the moon of the three knights, Rhaenyra death at the hands of her brother Aegon, and then Aegon death and the subsequent trails. Oh then there are the battles that we could potentially see in the series from the dance over shipwreck that ended all doubt there would a peaceful solution to crisis to the battle above the God's eye. So if HBO puts the money in and does it right it could be an epic series.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

IMG_20190429_220500.jpg
    IMG_20190429_220519.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

I wondered when & where he actually died. GRRM purposely left the issue so unresolved. I'm convinced though that his unaccomplished brother Viserys I should have NEVER been permitted to sit the Iron Throne . . . King Jaeherys should have been more assertive & decisive rather than leaving the issue of royal succession to a Great Council . . . the Queen Who Never Was Princess Rhaenys had all the grace and majestic mentality of her dearly departed grandmother the Good Queen Alysanne and was her favorite granddaughter. She could have ascended to the Iron Throne if the Old King had just put his foot down and proclaimed that she was the most well suited to rule and was sure to fulfill all the benevolence and magnimosity that his late wife had embodied during their distinguished reign. Viserys was not even a viable contender in comparison to Rhaenys and his only claim to fame was a brief ride on Balerion the Black Dredd before he finally expired. The entire Dance of Dragons could have been avoided, crises and civil strife avoided if Jaeherys the Wise puts his royal foot down and proclaimed Rhaenys his successor as she has been trained and educated by Queen Alysanne for such a prominent role . . . hand picked even while Viserys was like the predecessor to King Robert Baratheon (a drinking good time).

Plus all the power of the House Targaryen & the House Velaryon dragons so the nobles and common folk would just have to accept the decree of Jaeherys the Wise and deal with it :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  4. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I haven't kept up with the new GoT news at all. Are there supposed to be any black guys in this one?

5. Young Herschel

Blood moon was a total failure!! However the cast had several blacks . . . the desire for diversity was apparent but poorly allocated. Like U I am wondering if HBO will again seek to hire a diverse cast . . . only make better assignments. I`ve read "Fire & Blood" though and honestly I cannot see 4 black character roles as "Bloodmoon" the cancelled prequel had. Archon of Tyrosh perhaps with a manufactored storyline. Princess Viserra Targaryen, the most beautiful of the huge family took a liking to the Ebony-skinned Prince from the Summer Isles but it was only fleeting in her thirst for a realm to rule of her very own. Maybe HBO could expound upon her curiousity crush and make an IR storyline . . . give us Black men SOMETHING!!! Bad enough Daenerys Targaryen did not have IR sex on the show while she does in the source material "A Dance with Dragons"

6. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

7. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

Small Council Meeting circa 129 AC

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Young Herschel

In the lower left corner . . . is that Young Ned and more importantly who is he swordfighting?

9. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Ser Arthur Dayne

10. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

R.I.P. to Diana Rigg AKA Lady Orleena from the House Tyrell. The quality of the show diminished without badasses like her.

\[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

Capture+_2020-06-02-15-27-10(1).jpg

12. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

Capture+_2020-06-02-15-21-51(1).jpg

13. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

14. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

He was the only "villain" I liked. I really hated the way they took him out.

15. Tamstrong

I liked him some of the time, but the rest of the time he irked me. lol I actually enjoyed the way they got him, mostly due to the surprised look on his face when he realized what was happening.

16. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

Nah I never liked that dude. The only noble thing he ever did was when he secretly arraigned for Sansa to flee from King's Landing after what happened to Joffrey.

Only for us all to later find out what his true motives were which was real fucked up; (everything that happened at The Eyrie plus dealing with The Boltons).

I was cheering when Arya sliced his windpipe because of how she did it with no remorse whatsoever.

17. Tamstrong

What I liked about him was his acting; he was also funny sometimes with his snarky remarks and facial expressions. The character he put off a slimy vibe from the get go, which made my skin crawl though. The way he talked, what he did to Ned, the creepy kiss he gave Sansa are some of the other things that annoyed me. I was glad to see Arya execute his ass.

He was one of my son's favorite characters, and like Thump, he didn't like the way they took him out at all.

18. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

He was despicable and creepy but I liked what he represented. The idea that really smart people can be as powerful as an army.

GOT laid a foundation for his character over the years that really had my believing that he was going to have a significant role in the final fate of the series. To have him miscalculate so badly there at the end was very uncharacteristic of the man he was for the first 7 seasons.

19. Tamstrong

You have a good point, but I think his cockiness was what led to his undoing. He was so used to being the one playing everyone else, that his arrogance made him blind to the fact that the people he thought he was so masterfully manipulating, were actually playing the hell out of him at that point. I was glad to see all his lying and scheming finally coming back to bite him in the ass.

20. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Yeah, he was always going to go down, and it was going to be his ego that caused it, but I just think his death would have been more poetic if it came when he was at arm's length of getting what he wanted. The death they gave him came across as more of season 8's gratuitous fan service.