False Rape Accusations

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Stinkmeaner, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Stinkmeaner

Stinkmeaner New Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/tawana-brawley-hoax_n_3709058.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

[​IMG]

The nation was stunned in 1987 by an African-American teenager's accusation that she had been brutally gang raped by a group of white men, including a local prosecutor and a local police officer. Those accusations turned out to be an elaborate hoax -- and decades later, one of the men wrongfully accused in the fabricated horrific crime is finally receiving reparations payments.

Eleven years after Tawana Brawley's sensational story was disproved, former prosecutor Steven Pagones successfully sued Brawley, her attorneys and Rev. Al Sharpton -- who had gotten involved with the case -- for slander, according to the Poughkeepsie Journal. Although the others paid up, for years Brawley refused to pay the $185,000 in damages, worth closer to $400,000 with interest.

Brawley now works in Richmond, Va. as a nurse at the The Laurels of Bon Air nursing home, under a different name, Tawana V. Gutierrez, according to the Journal. A court has ordered Brawley's employer to garnish her wages in order to begin paying Pagones.

So far, Pagones has received around $3,700, the Journal reports.

Brawley was just 15 years old when she told her family -- and later reporters and police -- that she had been raped by six white men, who scrawled racial epithets on her body and left her in a vacant lot, according to The New York Times. Her case, which was widely publicized by an up-and-comer named Sharpton -- inflamed New York City, but was dismissed after a seven-month grand jury trial found her allegations unfounded, the Christian Science Monitor reports:

The grand jury concluded that Tawana was not abducted, raped, or sodomized, noting that her sexual assault kit showed no evidence of such an attack and that physicians found no signs that she’d been outside in the woods for a prolonged time. The grand jury surmised that the teenager might have faked the attack to avoid punishment from her mother and stepfather for being absentee for several days. No charges were brought in the case.

After years of living under the radar, Brawley and her family were tracked to Virginia several years ago, according to the New York Daily News. The Daily News found her parents in 2007 living in a rural area of the state, where they broke their silence in order to defend Brawley.

"How could we make this up and take down the state of New York? We're just regular people," Brawley's mother Glenda told the Daily News. "We should be millionaires."

Unfazed, Pagones and his lawyer Gary Bolnick decided to file for the wage garnishment in January, according to the New York Post. Pagones said he's waited a long time for vindication, adding that it's not simply about the money.

“It’s a long time coming,” Pagones told The Post in a recent interview. “Every week, she’ll think of me. And every week, she can think about how she has a way out -- she can simply tell the truth.”

Still, Pagone and his attorney aren't optimistic that Brawley will be able to come up with the cash.

“It’s not going to change anybody’s life,” Bolnick told the Journal. “The fact that she is forced to pay something is very important and very symbolic. It would be nice if she would pay off the entire judgment. Obviously, she’s going to make us work for that.”

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

wow. smh

3. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

Cool. She should pay. She didn't care a lick about the people she was accusing nor about the people who trusted her and stood up for her. She didn't care about the atmosphere of racial animosity she was contributing to and how she was undermining the credibility of genuine victims of racial (and sexual) violence.

It was "all about her" and her subjective morality makes everything she does "okay". Her shit doesn't stink. Too much of that around. Let her pay. Make her poor.

4. Archman

Archman Well-Known Member

......Don't forget her out-front mouth piece with the shakedown microphone, the pinstripe suits, and the 1960's slick-back process hairstyle........he shepparded her case as far as it could go before it collapsed and back fired...

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

dont forget he went on the orielly factor and said it was a mistake because he believed her. u know its funny yoiu never went into the thread where he forgave the guy who stabbed him at a march.....has Rush apologize for his racists remarks.....hhmmm nope. he gets a pass because _______________

6. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

dude, your side hates sharpton because he stands up for black folks. Here in the east, Sharpton led marches through neighborhoods where black men were assaulted just for passing through. He organized for my (and your) right to free travel and other mobility.

Your side (the "conservatives") would have me (and you) sitting at segregated lunch counters, in segregated schools and with zero right to mobility of any kind.

Instead of carrying yourself like a trained attack dog, being sic'd on whoever the "conservatives" point to, you need to "come over to the dark side".

The people you're following aren't even real conservatives. Real conservatives are principled, not doctrinaire.

Your side even hates people like Dr. King and Nelson Mandela. Wrong side of history, dude..

7. z

z Well-Known Member

Could not have said it better

Repped

8. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

she obviously wasn't looking out for women in her own race by making this false accusation...it is unfortunate but true that crime against black women is often times not reported or reported and then put on the back burner...black children go missing and it stays in the local news...black women are killed and it stays in the local news....let a white child go missing and it is national news...if a white woman is killed it gains national attention...

making false claims is never a good idea...it junks up the system that we need working on real legitimate crimes

9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I recall a black police officer went into the hospital to interview Brawley. He figured that she would open up to him instead of a white police officer. During the interview, the officer studied Brawley closely. Whe he asked if she could identify her assailants, Brawley replied,"White cop." He asked what did this white cop look like, again, Brawley replied,"White cop." The black cop told a tv news reporter about his visit. The officer stated that her behavior was not like those who have been kidnapped and raped. This officer had seen those indications and even questioned her mother and saw that her behavior was unusual, also. He then said,"She's lying. I don't care what that asshole Sharpton says." It was from that point, I did not like Reverend Al Sharpton. He has to relive this all over again.

10. Redex

Redex Member

Alison Gray never doubted her estranged husband’s innocence. Even though they were on course for divorce when Trevor was charged with rape, she remained convinced the allegation was false.
    ‘I was shocked when I heard; floored, flabbergasted,’ she says. ‘I texted Trevor and said: “For what it’s worth, I don’t believe it.” I knew Trevor was a man who does the right thing. He helps people. I never doubted his integrity. I knew he wasn’t capable of rape.’
    The case went to court and Trevor, a detective police sergeant with an exemplary record, was convicted and sentenced to eight years in prison.
    But Alison’s faith in her husband of 24 years did not waver. ‘I attended every day of the trial, and when they sent Trevor down I thought, “He has to know I’ll support him,”’ she says.

[​IMG]

Reunited: Alison and Trevor. Alsion never lost faith in her husband of 24 years and attended every day of the trial to support him

‘Our two daughters did too. I sent a note via his barrister saying, “Stay strong. We’re here for you.” I said I loved him, because I did. Despite our differences, we’d never actually stopped loving each other.’
    Alison’s faith has been proved to be justified. Trevor, 49, was released from prison on bail in July last year — after serving 13 months of his sentence — when three Appeal Court judges quashed his conviction. And two weeks ago he was completely exonerated when a crown court jury unanimously cleared him of rape, attempted rape and sexual touching.
    But he would never have regained his freedom were it not for his wife’s extraordinary detective work.

For when Trevor was falsely imprisoned, Alison, 48, turned sleuth and traced a vital witness, whose evidence proved crucial in overturning his conviction.
    And as Alison pieced together the truth and visited Trevor in prison, she realised she didn’t want to divorce him. Their decree nisi was rescinded, and they reunited ten months ago.
    The couple sit side by side, their hands often clasped, as they tell their extraordinary story for the first time.

Continue............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...urned-detective-clear-man-divorcing-rape.html

11. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

if you click on the link the rest of the story is amazing:smt023

12. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Now that's an ride or die chick right there! I hate stories like this, woman who scream false rapes should be put in prison and have the book thrown at them immediately so shit like this will seize considerably.

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Beautiful love story amidst a horrid false conviction story.

IDK, but the British Detective work here sucked and would've embarrass Sherlock Holmes. While reading it, I kept waiting to read the Taxi-driver's testimony at trial, wondering did he somehow corroborate the accuser's testimony? But he was never even sought out to be questioned? Which would have exonerated the accused from the start?? WTH?!

Like his wife said: It was such an obvious line of enquiry but it had been overlooked.’’
    Crappy detectives, crappy defense lawyer.

14. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Beautiful, beautiful story despite some terrible pain and injustice. A lot of the focus is on her undying loyalty, but I applaud him for being a man of such integrity that his wife's trust in him is airtight. Both are amazing.

15. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Agreed. We need to get the point across that this behavior will be met with the strictest of sentences, in the hopes of deterring some of these crazy ass women from making such reports.

As much as I've been through with my ex, I'd still fight for his innocence any damn day if need be. Sometimes you just know a person inside and out, what they're capable of and what they're not. Happy to see this beautiful couple make it through such a horrible injustice with a positive outcome :heart:

16. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Wonderful story of love and true friendship. Really nice that they were able to work out their differences.

17. GQ Brotha

GQ Brotha New Member

LOL, well said bro.

18. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

It also begs the question....
    That if the Police can treat one of their own in such a shoddy manner, what hope does the rest of the population have when falsely accused.

Thank god he didn't get the Bus, otherwise that lovely wife of his would have had nothing to look for.

A copper in the nick, bet that was some kind of living nightmare, hope he gets some kind of compensation.

19. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Amazing story, sad that the worst has to happen to us to realize that we should stay with the people we love.

20. goodlove

goodlove New Member

well stated