Crisis of Faith

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by Bookworm616, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

It's not what you think.

Even though I feel at times being an atheist would make life a bit easier, I just can't NOT be a believer.

With that being said, my "crisis" is my embarrassment with the fundamentalist Christians.

I've been feeling weird for quite some time now about telling anyone that I believed in God for fear that I'd be lumped in with the very vocal fundamentalist group.

But, now with the Supreme Court ruling it's gotten really bad. So many people on my Facebook newsfeed are proclaiming that to be gay is a sin and because of that sin they're going to Hell, and spouting off Bible verses, etc.

Is it wrong that I want to be a Catholic, but not tell anyone because I fear that people will think I'm as bad as the only group of Christians who are vocal - the fundamentalists?

This is such a crazy topic to me. LOL.

2. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

edit...

My post was a long-winded mess, so I decided to take it down for the time being. I may re-post it later when I've had more sleep and can edit it to the point where I don't sound like a rambling fool.

I do understand where you're coming from though, Bookie.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  3. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

I've already had to defriend a couple of people over the Obergefell decision. All of them have used religion as a basis for keeping legalized discrimination in place and while they are entitled to their opinions, those opinions aren't automatically entitled to respect.

When it comes to religion, the loudest Christian voices are often the most hateful and judgmental. Mike Huckabee, Bobby Jindal, Rick Santorum, and Ted Cruz are just a few examples of what happens when people want to double down on bigotry and hide behind the bible to do it. In 2015 those attitudes are pretty embarrassing and it does a lot more harm than good.

As far as being Catholic, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being religious so you don't have anything to be ashamed or embarrassed about. I grew up Baptist and over the years I've learned to judge people on the basis of not what the loudest voices say but with what they say.

4. K

K Well-Known Member

More importantly.....how and what they are doing.

Books - please remember that faith is not about believing and trusting in human beings, it's about believing and trusting in God.

People will say and do all sorts of crazy things and say it's because of religion (or whatever other reason), that doesn't mean it's true or valid in any way.

As far as being embarrassed or concerned about what others would think.....that's something you need to deal with within yourself. I really don't give a rip what anyone else thinks especially when it comes to what a believe in. Why would you allow the words or actions of a few embarrass you? Clearly you do not believe in the same things they do. Don't give them any power.

I don't do FB or any of the other stuff. But I would think there was a way to keep that bs out of your space if you wanted to. Remember, you only know what people think if you choose to allow it in, and they only know what you think if you offer it up to them. It's YOUR choice.

5. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

really as catholics what won't send you to hell.....
    am I right...

As I like to say all are sinners and none are saints.

also don't we have a purgatory. even if being gay is a sin you kind of get another shot at it there. any how my catholicism is weak. Life is short be a catholic if you want.
    Don't let people stop you from what you want to do and what makes you feel good within reason and moderation.

6. Bookworm616

I have to admit, I had to Google that term. LOL.

That has been my biggest issue with religious people for several years now. On Friday, a few of my uber-religious Facebook friends, of course, commented on the Supreme Court decision.

They didn't agree with it. (That's fine, not everyone was going to be happy about it)

They claimed they love everyone. (If only they'd stopped there)

They quoted Bible verses about marriage being between a man and a woman. (still fine)

They quote Bible verses about how homosexuality is wrong and an abomination. (Starting to get judgmental)

They then claimed that God was going to smite America for this and that the gays were going to Hell. (And that's where I began to see these "Christians" for who they really were)

How can you claim to love everyone in one breath and then turn around and expound that all gays were going to Hell? It's so incredibly intolerant.

And my biggest problem with all of this is, humans love to put people in categories.

Women, men, black, white, Christian, Atheist, etc. etc. etc.

You cannot tell people you believe in God without them thinking that you're a "Westboro Church" type believer. To most people, there isn't a difference between the tolerant and intolerant Christians. All Christians are intolerant, to them.

THAT is my biggest problem. The tolerant Christians aren't getting their voices heard.

7. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Cause then u have to defend ur christianity.

Its a big hassle

8. K

K Well-Known Member

If this is the case, then the people you are trying to convince are just as intolerant and not understanding as the so called "Christians" you are talking about. Why would you bother with such people?

"Most people" as you say may not really be most people. Again, it's your choice as to who you are around in your life. And this is all based on what you are choosing to share with other people. How is it their business as to what you choose to believe? They only know if you tell them. Not that you need to be hiding anything. But truly, if you can't deal with other people's bullshit opinions, don't open the door for them to be giving them to you. You are the one who is giving them power in your life.

I don't agree with you on your statement that the tolerant Christians aren't getting their voices heard. The positive things that have been happening around the country would not have happened if that were the case.

9. K

K Well-Known Member

Oh and by the way.....you better realize that the haters will continue to get louder because they are LOSING.

So again....why give them any attention?

10. Since1980

In that case, it's time for the moderate, non-judgmental Christians to stand up and be heard. The problem is that this decision came down right before election season, so expect to see all of the conservative Christian candidates talk about how much of an abomination homosexuality is. It will only get worse before it gets better.

And this is all despite the fact that the court's decision has absolutely no impact on any straight marriages that currently exist. Nothing in that majority opinion destroys, dissolves, nullifies or otherwise impedes anyone else's right to marry whoever they want to marry.

11. Since1980

They will get attention regardless. Remember, we have an election next year lol. Those voices are only going to get louder and louder over the next 16 months.

12. Bookworm616

Exactly.

Unless you completely become a hermit and "go off grid" there's no way to avoid these a-holes.

Look at Bobby Jindal. That guy needs to go away, but before he does, he's making a huge ruckus about the gay marriage decision.

That's just one example.

13. K

K Well-Known Member

Of course....but my point is...why give them room in your head? She doesn't have to be allowing that crap in her personal life. From what she has said, she's not just allowing it, she's inviting it. And not only that, she's allowing that to embarrass her when it truly has nothing to do with her.

14. K

K Well-Known Member

Books - it is your choice what you engage in or not in the world. Things will still exist, but it's your choice as to how you react to it. You have many options. One is, if you don't like that the more tolerant aren't as loud and noisy then become louder and make some noise. But bitching and whining about it and allowing it to actually get to you and your own faith.....you are doing just exactly what they want.

15. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

There's a certain psychological dilemma that is being dismantled, regarding this issue. And not really just this issue, but it would extend to any area of labeling or identity. When you lack the ability to control or keep people down or under your cusp, a fear component does kick in where, not just their worldview is being broken and challenged and lost, but their sense of superiority is slowly eroding thanks to a little thing called empathy and logic.

This is commonplace for a lot of people, including those who uphold reactionary (and unhealthy views). When that same attitude is being thrown back at them, it's more likely that they will remain standing, but in cowardice, expecting you to bow down and cave in.

I see what she is talking about and understand your perspective as well. But, just simply allowing them to continue doing what they are doing is akin to allowing a virus or a cancer to keep festering, believing that it will go away. On this manner, the cancerous thing are the loud, homophobic voices who are pissing and moaning over their superiority complex being eroded because education and logic won over the majority.

16. K

K Well-Known Member

I'm not saying to just go into denial and act like it doesn't happen. There is a big difference between that and inviting it into your life though. Either use the upset to fuel doing something that will make a difference or stop allowing it to bother you. But allowing that crap to shake one's faith, make them feel embarrassed to be who they are, etc. just gives them power they don't deserve.

Why would someone specifically invite all that into their private world though? You can choose what comes into your home (on your computer, what you watch on tv, etc.) and not only who you interact with but who you give any credence to.

17. Morning Star

The "private world" you speak of is synchronized with the "public world." They are never completely separated, thus there will be conflicts which could invade into your private world, either by yourself or eventually the physical breaking of such. It's not something you can truly escape. While I get your point that Bookworm should not allow it to "invade and take over her mind," it does show that the influences should compel the recipient to either take arms and fight back for that world you live in and in turn, break into theirs.

A mental power struggle tends to be the issue at hand, but...I would say to Bookworm, and take no offense to this, but I doubt that you actually much of a strong faith to begin with as you questioned it years ago before anything significant happened. Seems like a circumstance in the moment where it could shake up your own life and resolve, will eventually fall back into place.

18. K

K Well-Known Member

I would agree with this. We are saying the same thing in different ways. If someone is strong in their beliefs, it doesn't matter what others have to say. If things are bothering us to that point, that's something that would be good for us to take a good hard look at. Often we can not change what others do or say, but we do have control over how it affects us and how we react to it.

I actually am one who thinks it can be a great thing when people have their faith challenged, often that's what causes them to become more grounded and stronger in their faith.

19. Morning Star

Sometimes, strong reactions don't always have to translate to stronger in their faith = good. There are challenges that must be questioned, especially when it is contrary to facts. I don't know...maybe I'm more cynical and don't buy into the whole "listen to (opposing view)" bit.

20. Since1980

Rick Santorum is also very, very anti-gay, as is Ben Carson. Strangely enough I haven't heard anything from Rick Perry on the issue. Maybe I just missed it. And Lindsey Graham has surprised me the most; he's basically telling the GOP to give it up, already.

I don't think that she's giving them room in her head so much as knowing that, for better or for worse, all the people mentioned end up speaking "for" her without ever really speaking for her. It's basically guilt by association at this point. If candidate X says that we should impeach Supreme Court justices over allowing gay marriage it's hard to get away from that kind of nonsense.