Covid-19 Central

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Madeleine, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

From all I have heard and read the past few days I’m sure a lot of people already have that virus and didn’t notice because it was just like a common cold. Based on that the mortality rate would be significantly lower than what they are assuming for now.

2. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

I don't know whether to panic or not

3. Madeleine

I have decided panicking doesn’t help. Just washing hands, avoiding crowds and staying away from people with symptoms.

4. Madeleine

4C296E9C-AD0D-4EA3-9E83-DD3829993D0D.jpeg

Official recommendations in Switzerland. Masks for the infected, not for healthy people.

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a germaphobe. I touch door handles with my pinky and stay away from people with the common cold. I don't like how it clouds my thinking even tho I almost never get sick.

Standard operations for me.

I've always thought that our species would be wiped out by either an asteroid, volcano or viruses. Once those ice caps melt it may expose us to ancient viruses that modern biologists have yet to study. Could end up being a Thanos snap.

The possibility of a rouge biologist scares me more than the thought of nuclear war. What if the Unabomber was a biologist? And most people worry about guns.....

6. Madeleine

Well yeah, washing hands should be standard but for all non-Monks it’s time to increase it even more.
    The rest, huh? You like those end-of-the-world films, eh?

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

It's a very real possibility. It may seem far fetched until you look at history. We live in a world that has terrorists and if they get their hands on a biological weapon it can be catastrophic.

Yeah I like those movies sometimes. Depends on if the writing is good or not.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Germs like Small pox, bubonic plague ect....

I don't have to convince anyone of this, it's been proven.

9. Madeleine

Yes in medieval time there were terrible plagues that killed huge numbers of people but even then they couldn’t kill all. However I certainly don’t want to be part of any such plague. From all I have heard about this one though it’s dangerous mostly for the people above 60 and those with preconditions.
    I just wish the Chinese could stop eating all this crap and dealing with living creatures in their markets. They caused SARS and also the “Spanish” flu. The chicken flu as well, if I remember correctly.

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Look at the death rate for Ebola. If it was air borne it shouldn't take much of an imagination as to what could happen.

The plague wiped out 1/3 of Europe and small pox killed 80 to 90 percent of the Indians. If you don't think that a virus could end the species I don't know what to tell you.

If Ebola was air borne (obviously it's possible for a virus to be airborne) and wiped out 90 percent of the population........then what chances do the others have that may survive? Everyone is used to electricity, modern medicine, and food being available at the store instead of hunting and many other luxuries that are taken for granted.

What then?

What happens when the death rate for something like the flu goes up 9000% because we no longer have modern luxuries? What happens when the child death rate goes up to the levels they were at 1000 years ago?

The writing is on the wall.

11. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

This current virus is indeed unnerving. I guess what worries me most is that it has taken root in Asia, whose enormous population and poor standard of public health create opportunities for rapid spread, mutation into multiple strains, and the like.

12. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

To me, the most unnerving part of the virus is the two-week incubation period, just imagine how much interaction the average person has with others in a two-week period.

13. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Is in contagious throughout the incubation period, or only once it's fullblown?

14. Madeleine

Contagious throughout incubation period.

So, I know of someone who is positive and she has mild flu-like symptoms. This is dangerous for people 60 and above and those with poor health.

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

That's so damn scary makes you want to stay in at all times.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

It's 27 days in China.
    3-27 days. So just live your life. You will be fine. Wash your hands, don't kiss strangers and remember to always keep things in perspective..

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season.

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Relax Chicken Little, and buy low.
    On the flip side, Reckitt Benckiser's stock must be exploding!, LOL!!

18. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Living our lives is all we can ever do. To tell the truth I'm more concerned for my mom, she's in her 70s, her immune system isn't great and she lives her life by the 5 second rule.

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I understand your concern for your mom. Truly.
    Still, she has made it this far living her life, her way. Maybe her immune system is more solid than you know.

Have you discussed it with her?

My mom is old too, but I will not bring it up with her. Explaining this "new" flu virus and the don't touch surfaces and then touch your eyes or your mouth, etc.. not even putting the over-blown fear in her.

20. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Apparently her church has set up a little virus precautions class that she attended after services today. So now shes sending out group texts to me and my siblings reminded us to wash our hands and use hand sanitizer. lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List