Covid-19 Central

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Madeleine, Feb 25, 2020.

1. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

I dismissed it like SARS or Bird Flu until I noted that the Chinese built a whole hospital to treat the epidemic FROM SCRATCH IN 10 DAYS

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51245156

And one of the frontline Chinese doctors that was the first to encounter the virus actually died

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/18/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates-china-death.html

There is video smuggled out from inside the Wuhan City quarantine zone where a woman says that everything the Chinese authorities are telling us is a lie

I'm concerned at this point. Just washing my hands like crazy and hoping for the best

In the TV show "Counterpart," a weaponized flu developed by our side got loose on the parallel Earth, killing millions. But what if WE'RE the parallel Earth?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I hate this and hate that it's happening but unfortunately we are too damn thick headed and need shit like this to bring humans back down to earth. We need things that touch the wealthy and poor alike to make everyone remember we are all the same and should be working on universal solutions to problems. Hopefully this can be contained and cured. It won't be the US to do it though

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The structural engineers in China are no joke. That's wild.

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Goes to your point of us needing to be a more science based community. The secret won't solve shit like this.

5. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

They don’t have the red tape that we have.

6. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Red tape gets a bad wrap. Just google "Chinese engineering disasters" to see why the "build now worry later" Chinese approach to regulations isn't a good thing.

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

That's the thing about being an engineer. You can't fuckoff and play dumb like most people. It's not a "practice." If you fuck up the whole world can see your mistake.

8. meowkittenmeow

I agree with you, it’s definitely a double edged sword.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Cool. Apparently they have masks that filter germs. At first I was thinking latex when you wouldn't be able to breathe well with that and would have to wear it too loosely for it to work.

The affected water vapor would be in the air and there is no way around that. Any opening would have defeated the purpose.

10. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

Disinfectant for hands and surfaces and anti bacterial soap is sold out in
    my local supermarket.:confused::eek:

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Easy to get around that. Alcohol and lotion.

12. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I've had experience with antibacterial masks and a lot of them are worthless. If you are going to buy one make sure it is rated N95, N99, or N100 or you are wasting your money. If you plan on using them frequently I'd also get a non-disposable one with changeable inner liners.

13. Madeleine

Yeah, most of them don’t work. I think ffp2 is the one, right?

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm thinking N95 blocks viruses maybe just only certified for blocking bacteria or maybe 99% efficient with bacteria and let's say 95 percent effective with viruses.

Perhaps they don't mention viruses for fear of a lawsuit.

Do I have the right idea here?

15. Madeleine

So my (pregnant) friend found out today that somebody she met on Sunday is now quarantined with Corona. So she’s been listed and waiting to be tested.she has symptoms of a cold, but not too bad.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  16. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

That's a European standard but its basically the same thing the higher the number the better

Yeah, the numbers mean percentage of leakage so N95 protects against 95% of leakage and N100, in theory, has 100% protection.

The vast majority of face masks are designed to block relatively large particles like dust and pollen. Viruses are so small most masks aren't up to the job so going with the N95-N100 or FFP2-FFP3 are the best options.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Thanks. Good to know.

18. meowkittenmeow

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Of course the masks come from China and are hard to find now.

One of the reasons I say government shouldn't be on front page all the time. The fact that people want to keep up with a bunch of useless, expensive bums says a lot. Thanks for nothing fuckwads.

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member