Chicago: Experiencing Shootings every week, Going Unnoticed

Discussion in 'In the News' started by tropolis, Mar 21, 2012.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Well here's the funny thing about NY housing the projects are sometimes blocks upon blocks of buildings where some buildings are actually middle class families but other buildings are straight up low income gang territory. A great example is Co-op city in the Bronx. Where she lived was in alphabet city and her particular building was all co-ops and her apartment was the penthouse that her grandparents bought in the 70s and is now worth millions, across the street were projects where cops were literally gunned down that week in a drug raid. There's far more activity than I was use to. Where I live is in the suburbs not too far from Yonkers (home of DMX and the Lox) the projects around there are like what you described, grimmey as hell and everything in the area is murderville. It's so bad dudes from the Bronx and Philly call it shitty. So when she told me she lived across the street from the jects and I saw that cops were killed that week it made me a little nervous. Until her and I dated more (we were together for 2 years) I didn't realize how different gentrification has made things. You can literally have poverty and high class right next door to each other. Where I live its completely sectioned off. Hope that makes sense.

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Your description makes sense. The reality of it is another thing. I would sell that place, take the money and buy one of these Florida islands, but that's just me.

Gentrification has made some places out to be quite odd but NY takes it too another level. It's pretty wild but interesting at the same time. I wouldn't want to live there but I do plan on getting back around to NY one of these days. Seems like forever since I've been. I do like the energy there.

I remember dosing off in the car when my friend made a quick stop while we were in the Bronx. I was fucked up at the time, will never do that again. The sound of gunshots woke me up. lol

One thing about New York is that it pays to visit with someone that is from there. There are so many people from NY that everyone should have at least one friend from there. I have a few.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Excellent post. Wish l could rep you.

4. K

K Well-Known Member

It's really hard to grasp this if you haven't been in it. I even tried to photograph it at one point to show the extremes right by each other south side of Chicago but it didn't convey in pics well enough.

I just couldn't understand how people could be living so well and look outside and see so much and just keep going on with their lives like everything was good.

5. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Yup! Even within Co-Op City for the longest time... You just didn't want to be over in Section 5. It's still ghettofab to this day, but I guess many would have to see it with their own eyes.

I rememeber when Alphabet City was an area you simply avoided totally, especially deep in like around Ave D. Nowadays, it's greatly improved, but there's still some pockets are aren't ideal areas to be in.

6. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member

I hate saying it,but the only answer is gentrification. Start buying up those 'Section 8' and HUD houses and pushing the 'bangers' out. Tear southside Chicago down and rebuilding it for the new yuppies and watch the crime decrease.

7. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

Judgement of you will be swift. Brace yourself.

8. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

They already did that. The Robert Taylor homes were demolished years ago, and the residents sent to other parts of the city and the suburbs.

However, August was the deadliest month in 20 years.

I'm not sure how much that helped with the gang problem.

9. The Dark King

Yeah I use to say the same thing. Her grandmother had this penthouse apartment worth about 2 to 3 million dollars. And I was like why doesn't she just sell it and move somewhere without harsh winters and some nice weather. She's NY till the death plain and simple.

You should definitely visit. The one thing I take for granted is that there is literally always something to do and delicious food everywhere. Like last night me and some friends diid Greek food a poetry reading and bowling all on the same block.

10. The Dark King

Glad to have another New Yorker on here lol
    You get it.
    Well she was by avenue A on Grand St.
    I saw pics from the 80s and that shit was a war zone but they refused to leave and it worked out huge for them.

11. The Dark King

Gentrification doesn't make anything better just shifts the problem somewhere else.

12. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Let me know if you find a poetry reading spot for French poetry. Seems like the point of poetry in English is for meaning. I like poetry for the appreciation in word play, therefore I prefer French poetry. Its so easy to sit back and appreciate how beautiful it sounds. Their point could be meaning but I enjoy the words and how they flow.

I like Spanish poetry too but more interested in French.

13. The Dark King

Actually the spot I went to was a Puerto Rican spot and it was a lot of spanglish
    One thing I do love is there are a lot of beautiful women everywhere out here.

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Yeah that's hard to miss. Women upstate are generally receptive to southern guys.

15. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

Ill be in ny the 23-25 show me! Lol hopefully they don't trip to hard on my accent. once I got to Milwaukee that's was the first thing every said " you sound country." Boots didn't help either.

16. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

This was really sad. He just moves back to his hometown to play for the Bulls and then this happens. A damned shame.

17. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

18. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

You do realize the nickname for Chicago is actually "Chiraq"? That would've made more sense for your thread title.

19. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

The thread title works if you think about it.....

Also the white man (system of white supremacy) is behind every shooting.......also what I really need to worry about is getting shot by police not by other black people.

And people then say well "the police get away with it" while 8 out of 10 murders and shootings go unsolved......

#WewuzWAKANDA

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  20. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Typical.

Paniro is one of those Negroes who had a problem with The Black Panther movie because it criticized the affects of colonialism on continents like Africa.

The reason most people are pissed when cops have a bad shoot is the same reason courts are much harsher on government officials when they commit felony crimes.

Like government officials, cops are supposed to know better because they're trained and a paid part of the system.
    Apologists like you Paniro don't see a problem with holding cops to the same standard as teenage gangbangers who attach no value to human life.

The murders and gang problem in Chicago is unlike any Black inner city problem in America. It's not a community crisis that easy solutions will solve.

What I don know is there are more guns in inner city Chicago than most Black metropolitan areas.

D.C. used to be the murder capital of the USA until there was a real crackdown on gun ownership.

It says a lot to me Paniro that you would casually diss a movie like Black Panther that really boosted the self-esteem of millions of Black kids and told them that your history is greater than the people who enslaved your ancestors told you it was.

I've argued with White nationalists online who don't believe there were ever empires, kingdoms and cities in Africa before the White Man arrived.
    These White dudes believe all Africans still live in mud huts and never made a single contribution to global civilization.

By casually dissing that movie Paniro the way you did, and I know it was a made up comic book movie, in not so many words my ears hear you saying, "Black people still ain't shit".
    And that's what most White supremacists mean too when they attack that movie for daring to elevate the psyche of Black folk.

But hey, I can't act surprised that someone like Paniro would shit on Black self-empowerment.

Last edited: May 8, 2018