Book Lovers Thread

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Tamstrong, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

I started reading this book by Andy McDermott called "Kingdom of Darkness".

It's an adventure book that deals with ancient history (finding Alexander the Great's long lost tomb) and archaeology. Right up my forte.

One of my all-time favorite authors is Clive Cussler and he finds an ancient (sometimes not-so-ancient) story and starts off all of his books that way and then goes to present day where his heroes must fight bad guys and ties it in with the stories he opens his books with.

Anyway, I love them. I love his heroes, I love his writing, and I love the ancient history that starts out each book.

Getting back to the Kingdom of Darkness. It turns out it is #10 in a series dealing with a husband and wife team. I was super excited to read the book because it "ticks all of the boxes". I slogged my way through 150 pages of the 500+ page book and decided life was too short to continue torturing myself with a book and characters I cared nothing about.

Do you guys have favorite authors that basically "ruin" it for any other author writing in the same genre??

2. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

I used to feel like that about Stephen King; nobody could even compare. I've always admired his writing style and twisted imagination, and I found him to be an inspiration for my own writing. He's still great, but he seems to have lost a bit of his magic touch.

I also think Anne Rice has done a better job in many respects with her Vampire Chronicles than other authors' vampire stories. I did read an awesome new take on vampires by Tony Bertauski called The Drayton Chronicles back in December that really impressed me though.

Nowadays I try all kinds of authors out without comparing them with anyone.

It sucks that the book turned out to be a dud for you. It's such a letdown when it's something you're so excited about.

3. Tamstrong

Another horror author I've come to enjoy is R.H. Dixon. I've read all of her books except the one I'm in the middle of right now. I also read several of her short story e-books I found on Amazon last night (including the free one offered at the end of her newest book The Cundy):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://rhdixon.com/

4. Tamstrong

5. Tamstrong

6. Tamstrong

7. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

I came acroos this on Pinterest. While this is true for me, one of the comments on the pic made an excellent point: "Why, when you can sell the diamonds to buy more books?" lol

8. Tamstrong

9. Tamstrong

10. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

This one makes me think of my mama, she's read so many books over the years. When she was a kid, she and one of her classmates had read everything their school library had, so the school would borrow books from school libraries all over the state for them to read. While I was growing up we went to the public library every week, and she'd check out no less than 15 books every time (which was the limit) and always finished them before the week was up. She also had the library borrow books for her from larger city libraries for her from time to time. She'd also read every night before bed. Her reading was an annoyance to my dad who was never much of a reader. Unfortunately her poor vision and cataracts keep her from seeing well enough to read. Hopefully when the doctor thinks the cataracts are bad enough to warrant the surgery, she'll be able to enjoy reading again. She's been wishing she could read to help occupy her mind since my daddy passed away.

I'm glad I inherited her love of books and reading.

11. Tamstrong

12. Tamstrong

13. Tamstrong

14. Tamstrong

15. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

When I was 25 (damn, just typing that makes me feel old, lol), I rented an old house with two huge walk-in closets. The one I used as my library had shelves on all 4 walls all the way up to the 13-foot ceiling. By the time I'd decided to relocate, 2/3 of the closet was full of books. Sadly I couldn't take a lot of them with me and sold them in a yard sale. Sometimes I wish I'd given up some of my furniture and kept my books. I miss them (and I miss that old house).

16. Tamstrong

17. Tamstrong

18. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

19. Tamstrong

20. Tamstrong

[​IMG]