BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Jeffrey Tripp

Jeffrey Tripp Well-Known Member

Evil's David and Kristen ended up being a 4 season waste.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  2. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

So it was like Cloak & Dagger? Lol

3. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

I'm going to confess something that might be controversial on this site. Also, I haven’t seen the finale so I do t have a complete picture of how the series ended. I preferred Kristen and David as temptations for one another - not lovers. He’s a priest and she’s a mother of four/five - they have commitments to honor that represent ideas I think are important, one of which is sacrifice. Conquering evil requires it - Rick’s decision at the end of Casablanca (1942). They were never in a love triangle, a romantic relationship was impossible due to circumstance, hence the real-world tension between them.
    The problem with this add-on, four-episode series closeout is that the tension had to be substituted for explicit suggestions (characters stating things as opposed to doing things), which for episodic television sets up a conventional romantic expression, ie “ending up together”. My fear is that the writer/producers failed to give adequate dramatic stakes to sum up their complex relationship.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024
  4. Jeffrey Tripp

Oh don't remind me lol but at least David and Kristen kissed.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Jeffrey Tripp

I get that and that makes sense but I like payoff and my thing is they didn't have to go there if they weren't really gonna go there.

6. ryanpaulstewart

100%!

7. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I mentioned some of those same complexities to their relationship when we first was put on to this show and got COOKED for it here. lol.

8. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Co-sign. I don't think @ryanpaulstewart's point is actually that controversial in this thread. I remember also expressing during the 1st or 2nd season that I didn't see how David & Kristen getting together could work due to the obligations in their personal & professional lives. From that standpoint, ending the series with 'ship status being open-ended makes the most sense.

9. mr.roboto

mr.roboto New Member

It is probably getting renewed though

10. ColiBreh1

Where did you hear that?

11. ryanpaulstewart

I read an article interviewing the Evil showrunners and they explained that the finale is intentional soft - stripping down the production to the essentials to position it for a few more seasons on a streaming service. They specifically cited its successful run on Netflix so fingers crossed. That might be the reason the finale is so understated.

The show was a financial casualty of the writer’s strike.

• List
  12. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

I have just renewed my Netflix account to catch up on everything at this Summer vacation from work. This latest season is the highest rated of them all via Rotten Tomatoes to my surprise as it is not as scandalous but there is some scandal to be sure. I have yet to witness any unambiguous oral interracial affectionate exchanges by either IR pairing though. It's crazy that they haven't kissed yet but they are a nice looking YA interracial couple engaged as they are to be married.

Correction there is scandal but just not the kind we like lol. Upon further review . . . the recast Francheska Bridgerton is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from the original actress and more suited for the mid-major role she fills in season three.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2024
  13. ColiBreh1

What about Showtime's "Penny Dreadful"?

14. Young Herschel

I tried it but couldn't get into it. Tried the spin-off staring Margery Tyrell set in 1950's Los Angeles too. It has promise and I lasted longer but the homosexual stuff just went too far and so I stopped watching.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  15. ColiBreh1

I'm surprised to hear that from you becuz the OG "Penny Dreadful" show has Very Good-GREAT critic & audience scores on both Rotten Tomatoes & IMDB.

As far the homosexual stuff ruining the 2020 spin-off series for you, is it as bad or even worse than the homosexual stuff on "American Horror Story"? LOL.

16. Young Herschel

On the Penny Dreadful LA spin-off . . . yes the homosexuality was extensive. I love AHS but I really only rep the first four seasons.

I only watched like two or three episodes of the original Penny Dreadful. It was just not for me. Perhaps it gets much better but I didn't have a high enough recommendation of it to tough it out. I didn't particularly love the first few episodes of "Breaking Bad" or "The Wire" either for what it's worth . . . they finally got good for me at the last two episodes of season one for both highly acclaimed series.