BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say never, but I get your point. lol.

We still have Shadow Moon, Chidi, Tyrone(Cloak), The Brothas From Legacies, Miles Finer, and some other ones I can't think of right now.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

Its not even about HBO or Sam Levinson at this point for me but its about the fans. It kind of amazes me that people are well threatened is the best word I can think of by a black male character that is not a stereotype. If the guy is black and he is not some thugged out gangster type ala ghost on Power, some none threatening funny man, or just gay then people just straight hate the character. I was on the boards and the question of why people hate him has come up numerous times and nobody can really give a specific reason why it is all general he is annoying, or he is boring, or he treat his gf crappy. I have seen people wanting the character dead or for him to turn out to be gay. It is really sickening that a black male cant appear on tv or a movie and just be normal have normal issues. I think people have this idea of what an acceptable black man in movies or shows is and if that is challenged they have a fit. The fact is I know more black men that are closer to the type of guy McKay is than any of those other stereotypes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. darkcurry

And with those black male characters I mentioned It's just more proof that it is a certain group. Because those black male characters that are straight and capture the hearts of female fans don't have those certain women(and men) hating on them. So yeah Euphoria seems to have attracted a certain audience of people in this country(and world).

But I put this on us because we should've been aware of a show where the lead is a black woman and a lgbt woman that it was going to attract the black gynocracy and these lgbt folks that hate straight black men who aren't getting either killed or isn't praising them.

AND putting a brotha with a thot was going to attract the thots to this show. lol.

The one black male character of the main cast was screwed from the start. They got over on us with the slick shit.

4. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Rewatching this BTS Algee Smith/McKay clip & seeing the new Sydney Sweeney thread in the Men's Locker Room subforum has me pondering an interesting question. Is the McKay-Cassie 'ship on "Euphoria" the 1st IR in a TV show where the chick is involved is universally considered the baddest chick on the show?

5. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I have no idea. They are all in their 20s, but they look young in the face. So, they all look a bit odd to me. So, the “baddest”, doesn’t really apply hear, not to me anyway.

Did you ever check out that show “In the Dark”?

6. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Hey, you're on to something since its usually The busty blonde reserved for WM on tv-shows.

7. ColiBreh1

Based on the online reception of the show, Cassie is definitely considered the baddest chick on the show by the male online audience (& based on that Algee Smith BTS clip, she's supposed to be the baddest chick in the show) Maddie is probably 2nd.

As for "In the Dark", are you talking about The CW dramedy show about the blind chick that takes place in Chicago? No, I still haven't watched it yet. I was expecting the show to be a quick summer binge of yet another short-lived CW/WB drama for me, but The CW ended up renewing the show for 2nd season (which was a surprise) so that ruined my plans for that. I don't know when i'll watch it. If the CW doesn't renew it for a 3rd season, I'll definitely probably binge it next summer.

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Funny you say that because I found myself annoyed watching Dear White People because this entire season was dedicated to bw/wm IR and LGBTQ relationships. They couldn't even stick to their black love narrative without making the only black male regular a basket case who worships another black straight male who turns out to be a rapist who rapes white women after building up a successful business where he tries to help other black people. So the take away was no matter what straight black men will be a let down. The only black male white women interactions are fetishized rape scenarios while black women white male relationships (oddly out numbered even black on black relationships this season) are tender and full of love. Even when a white dude straight up stole a scholarship from people of color his black bae fully supported him no questions. Then you look at the writing staff its clear where its coming from. At this point I'd rather watch bone white shows at the very least they aren't deliberate in either making black men total villains or weak sad to watch characters. It seems like British and Canadian tv are the only places where we can watch straight black male characters who don't make you cringe.

9. ColiBreh1

[​IMG] I'm so glad I never bothered with that show, even though I enjoyed the movie. Based on this plot you just described, I can see they're pandering to certain segments of Black Twitter. @JamalSpunky

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. darkcurry

It's all true too. I checked the hashtag of that show because I remember someone saying there is a IR on the show and everything @The Dark King said happened. Fucked up. This show is clearly anti-straight black male.

11. darkcurry

I wouldn't count this show especially with the writing, the fanbase did to this couple. She is bad as hell but they put her in a fucked up IR on the show and made her a thot. lol.
    So she maybe but it was a screwed up ship that the fans dragged.

But you have to remember The Baddest female male fans consider on a show that is involved in a IR are also Rosita from TWD
    [​IMG]

And the confirmed soon to be IR Olivia Holt from Cloak And Dagger in upcoming season 3.
    [​IMG]

probably some other ones too.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  12. ColiBreh1

1st of all, the IR having a happy ending doesn't matter to this discussion.

Anyways, I can't speak on TWD because I've never watched that show.

"Cloak & Dagger", nope. Plenty of BM think Evita is badder than Tandy. With "Euphoria" niggas aren't in denial about Cassie being the baddest & they don't try to prop up Zendaya/Rue as being finer.

I think another good example besides Cassie-McKay on "Euphoria" is probably Dixon-Adrianna on 90210. Niggas who watched 90210 loved them some Adrianna/Jessica Lowndes because she was legit PAWG when the show was on & it was obvious the show was hiding it by some the outfits she'd wear & some of the camera angles they shhot around her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. darkcurry

I don't know what crowd you watch it with, but as someone that watches this show and follow the hashtag when they are live I didn't say that because of favoritism because she's my girl. Are you saying that because Evita's your girl? lol. It always depends on what crowd you are talking about. Plus you said Universally I'm including all not just a corner of the web. If Evita was Universally badder than the main character then where is the Sydney Sweeney type love she is getting? Sydney steals the spotlight from the main character. And her career took off.

Search Olivia Holt and Noelle Bercy on youtube and Olivia has the "hot and sexy" video tributes her and not Noelle.

So if it's Universally then the receipts says Olivia Holt. But if you're talking about certain non mainstream sites or forums I'm pretty sure they think that. But again you said Universally and I think male fanbases count.

And if happy endings don't count and you're broadening that much...

Did you forget about Claire Holt
    [​IMG]

Lexa Doig
    [​IMG]

Lela Loren
    [​IMG]

Hayley Atwell
    [​IMG]

and I'm sure others. lol.

14. darkcurry

I know I forgot about Arielle Kebbel from Midnight, Texas because they cancelled the damn show. smh.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. ColiBreh1

I think I probably agree with you on Hayley Atwell & dude on season 2 of "Agent Carter".

I never watched "Continuum", so I can't speak on Lexa Doig.

Claire Holt/Rebekah on "The Originals" is debatable, maybe. I personally thought 1 of the other chicks that Marcel dated was finer than Rebekah, so that's gonna have to be a NO for me.

LOL at "Power" & "Midnight Texas". You're just throwing names out there now. Anybody who pays attention to the online discussions of "Power" knows the majority of niggas seem to prefer Tasha & Lala over Angela. I don't agree with them, but it is what it is.

As for "Midnight Texas", I don't need to read discussions to know that the biracial chick on the show (same chick that played Luke Cage's late Wife on the Marvel Netflix shows) is finer than Arielle Kebbel.

It just seems like you just listed random attractive actresses involved in IR when the criteria was specifically about the chick being considered the finest chick on the show.

16. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Man, when you have to pull this example of a couple no one cares about from a show no one really watches anymore you know we be in trouble.

And stop re-watching Euphoria because you're only torturing yourself.

17. JamalSpunky

Jesus, not this show again. You're hurting your own argument, sir.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. JamalSpunky

Come on. First you'll have to find a large sample of black dudes that actually watch "Cloak and Dagger" before claiming "plenty" of black men think Evita is finer. I don't doubt those types would be out there if the show had a really large black male audience because black me on social media are conditioned to like black chicks more and it leads to more "likes" and followers for them. But from what I can tell there really isn't that large of a fandom for Evita at all.

19. JamalSpunky

Yeah, about a month ago I did a twitter search on the character just before his so-called episode was going to air (which I only knew about because of these boards). I was curious to see what folks were saying about the character and I quickly discovered they were irritated with the idea that he was going to be the focus of an episode. They kept referring to another character they wanted to see instead and I would later learn that this character was the white drug dealer. I haven't watched a second of this show, only thing I've seen has been trailers and episode promos because I watch HBO. Glad I did not waste my time investing in it.

20. JamalSpunky

Justin Simien, the guy behind the movie and TV show, is a black gay man who has a fetish for Black female-white male couples. Probably because such couples involve his two favorite things: white guys and sistas. Fuck that asshole.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List