BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. There’s a difference between what an “adaptation” is and just straight up not respecting the soul and essence of the source material. Marvel changed things all the time but they ALWAYS respect the essence of what they’re adapting.

1.) they’re taking a concept that was very prevalent in the comics (ugly side of the streets/police brutality/ rape/ pedo) but that’s sadly ALL they’re doing. The C&D books had this strong message while still being a superhero comic, it didn’t deter the story or progression — it strengthened it. The show’s “adaptation” is taking the opposite effect.

2.) they barely have fight scenes or moments of intensity (granted not every superhero show needs to have fights to be interesting, just look at Legion, but C&D are street level heroes which means fighting baddies on the street ARE THEIR BREAD AND BUTTER! So if they’re not doing that then what are they doing?

3.) they don’t even have costumes. Ty kind’ve had his in S1 but he only wore it a number of times and pretty much every other scene for the rest of the show is just “Aubrey Joseph and Olivia Holt in street wear” lol

4.) THEY ARE LONER SUPERHEROES: pretty much since issue 1 of the classic C&D their whole thing is that not only are they two people from different races and classes but that they can only depend on each other. Tandy had a terrible relationship with her mom, so much so that she ran away from home & Ty ran away because he couldn’t take the guilt of watching his bro/friend be killed by the police — all their adventures throughout all their comics don’t really involve their parents or many side characters. That’s my point. By making Ty & Tandy these dependent kid superheroes it goes against the whole point of their backstory and why they came together and stuck together in the first place.

5.) I’m all for buildup and being patient but I atleast need to see some type of seeds being planted for future storylines. I’ve barely seen any, just a whole lot of social commentary which is nice but they need to bring more to the table.

6.) I actually defended this show before and after it debuted because I’m a huge fan of these characters and want them to succeed. It wasn’t until last week that I really got kind’ve annoyed, they managed to take something so new and exciting (The Darkforce Dimension inside of Cloak) and make it into the blandest thing ever, just pitch blackness where they showcased some more important social commentary lol you see what I mean? they could’ve taken that opportunity to shock the audience with some weird nightmarish imagery like in the comics or even like that scene from Season 1, But they didn’t. Wasted potential.

All in all, I’m happy there’s more IR representation on tv and the tv superhero sphere but I’m not gonna just act like everything’s perfect because we finally got a series where the IR pairing is the priority, why can’t we have both? Why can’t we have an awesome mixed race couple AND have it be fantastical and action packed like the comics? Why must we sacrifice one for the other?

And another thing: I usually am very understanding when it comes to interpretations and “adaptations” but if your definition of “adaptation” means “do whatever the hell you want with it because it’s your show” then I just disagree with it. Wholeheartedly.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

3. Tsharp99

Tsharp99 Active Member

This is not a CW type show...LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

See I don't see them doing those things I highlighted in your post in the manner you suggest. You do. So we're at a Impasse because we are clearly seeing two different things.

And your right everything isn't perfect so to be fair and not act like this show is flawless my problems with the show are:
    1) The whole Evita love storyline. Unnecessary.
    2) They're dwelling on this Connors storyline too long(but it looks like it's coming to an end.)
    3) at times they get a little too preachy with the social issues. Leave that to Father Del Gado. lol.
    4) I would have LOVED to see Mayhem keep her green eyes and have longer nails. But that's a light issue.

You got to understand they're kids with powers so as they're growing as humans so are they're powers. I see them letting taking the audience through the growth and depth of their powers. Their powers are more than just weapons. And I love that.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. darkcurry

A little throwback BM/WW IR Sighting For All Of Us Stargate fans.

[​IMG]

Christopher Judge and Musetta Vander in Stargate SG-1

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Shan'auc & Teal'c

6. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Wednesday night watching Whiskey Cavalier again. Got your unsolicited wwbm couple update lol.

Looks like the black nerd and the sexy spy are going strong. They referenced taking a bath together, so it sounds like they're officially physical. Happy for him lol

Edit:
    But uh oh! At the end of the episode, they previewed the plot that's going to end this relationship and probably her time on the show (or at least with the good guys).
    It looks like she assassinated another agent who was also the girlfriend of a team member.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

@qaz1 I'm watching the season 6 premiere of "The 100" that aired earlier this week and I also forgot that by the end of last season they established Lindsey Morgan's character Raven (1 of the main characters who's been there since the beginning) & Jordan Bolger's character Shaw as a couple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. ColiBreh1

SMFH. I've finished watching the season 6 premiere of "The 100" and for third time in this series.....

They killed off a straight black male character with a IR love interest. Shaw was stung to death by killer bees.

• List
  9. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

First Wells then Lincoln and now Shaw

10. Then stop watching and supporting lol it really is that simple. If they don’t fuck with us then why are y’all still fucking with them?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly. I've been known to lead many a one-man boycott lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. ColiBreh1

Naw, I can't quit "The 100". I've been watching it for too long & like I've mentioned before, it's arguably the GOAT CW show. I'm starting to think the Showrunner for "The 100" feels some type up way about straight BM. When Ricky Whittle's character Lincoln was killed off he revealed that him & the showrunner had beef:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/100-ricky-whittle-jason-rothenberg-881496

https://www.vulture.com/2016/04/100s-ricky-whittle-showrunner-bullied-me.html

https://ew.com/article/2016/04/06/the-100-ricky-whittle-criticism/

Besides Wells, Lincoln, & Shaw; every other notable black male character has been killed off. The only notable BM character left is the gay dude that's been there since Day 1 (I forgot his name).

• List
  13. Tsharp99

Tsharp99 Active Member

Yeah, he's gay with a white boyfriend!

14. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I can't remember where I read it, but I definitely recall reading some writer theorizing that Hollywood is in its current sad state because the white men who run it keep portraying their own fantasies.

If that's true, it makes sense that black men wouldn't consistently come out on top. It wouldn't even need to be consciously chosen. Implicit bias is real.

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

That's American tv and for some odd reason Netflix nearly all of their original content has the only black character as a gay dude

16. ColiBreh1

Watching the final season 5 premiere of iZombie that aired a couple nights ago:

Bazzio is now visibly pregnant, which obviously means she's human again.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

It’s mostly the female run shows from what I can tell. They all have that one gay black man. I think it is to not piss off the white men that are producing the shows.

18. darkcurry

That's the social conditioning of American Society. In every society they paint this idea of what kind of people those should be. In American Society they want black people that are docile and serve their political interest. Which is one of the reason why I don't think black people should be apart of neither one of these political parties. They only want black people that are going to be for them. They feel they can get that out of gay black men because gay black men (not all obviously) have an issue with straight black men and are known to ride bitch(be subservient). Feminist don't like a straight black man that thinks for himself and are alpha because they are afraid they might get in the way to them getting what they want.

TV and Movies reflect some of their ideals of what they want black men to be. Art does imitate life, so then you have filmmakers out there that will give us that unapologetic, alpha straight black male that just trying to do the right thing. So I don't see it as much of an issue within art because some of the best TV show and Movies involving IR especially as of late they make the black guy usually strong and a heartthrob without all the social stuff.

Just look at the fandom for Legacies. They want Hope with the strong, good looking alpha werewolf Raphael. That speaks volumes of how some of these girls are viewing black men. And really BM/WW relationships being though Hope is the strongest witch and Raphael is the strongest werewolf.

19. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean they aren't interested in a "good time", though. They just know to keep that fantasy off of the TV screen. They don't want to piss of that "white man money".

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  20. ColiBreh1

Finished season 4 yesterday, 1 more season to go. The very next episode after the 1st episode that Bow Wow guest-starred in, Adrian meets Bow Wow's older brother Omar (played by DeVaughn Nixon) and they end up dating the rest of the season. Looks like Adrian & Omar are endgame browsing the wiki site for the show. I think TDK also mentioned it in the past:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]