BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

You're obviously further than the rest of us. I just finished watching episode 4 , I'm about to start episode 5 right now.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I binged the whole thing. My only critique is he didn't have a black dad but then you realize everyone of them comes from a dysfunctional family so it works. The only one who ironically had a decent family was the gay kid. Him and his family had some really good scenes.

3. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  4. darkcurry

5. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

I'm posting this because I rep this show and the writers are allowing a black nerd to be romantic and desired all while remaining distinctly a black nerd. William Jackson Harper recently did an interview where he said he didn't think he would get this part because he thought he was too dark to be a love interest for Kristen Bell on network television.

You gotta watch the show to get the context of where they are and why Eleanor reacted the way that she did.

6. ColiBreh1

7. ColiBreh1

I just got done watching season 2 of "Friends from College". I wish @darkcurry & @The Dark King hadn't quit on the show so we can talk about it, but oh wells. I did not see that storyline in the last couple of episodes coming.

8. darkcurry

I'll give it another shot when I'm done with Sex Education.

9. The Dark King

Apparently he never saw her show with Don Cheadle because he's even darker and was paired up with her and several other white women

10. The Dark King

How you liking that so far?

11. darkcurry

And just like with Cloak and Dagger and other popular IR couples on TV and the movies recently America including some black women are falling in love with these couples. That number of black women against it is crumbling and falling. They had some power, but as I said as long as it's done right and you keep it away from white hollywood and black hollywood and in a diverse setting IR relationships between bm/ww in art has a strong fan base.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. The Dark King

Sorry I've gotten to a point in life where I don't give my precious time to things that are obviously not being created with me in mind. One thing I never enjoy about shows like that is dude didn't have any other black people in his life at least up until episode 3 when I gave up on it. Even taking his race out of it the clumsy nerdy guy trying to juggle more than one woman has been done to death. I hope you guys enjoy it and it continues to entertain you.

13. darkcurry

I just got done watching episode 6. Im having trouble finding time to binge this show, especially THIS type of TV-MA show. It's pretty cool. I'll give my full review when I'm finish.

14. ColiBreh1

You're not only 1, I remember folks on social media quitting on the show early in season 1 or not giving the show a chance at all because Key's character is the token negro in his social circle. IMO, the show entertaining enough that you end up forgetting about it.

15. The Dark King

Fair enough but things like that to me are so distracting. Even if that's your reality in your teens (it was certainly mine) there's no way you go through life as a black person not craving community. I don't care how close you are with the white folk in your life sometimes there are things they simply won't get and you don't make it to 40 not having close black friends in your life.

16. darkcurry

I finished watching Sex Education since I just realized it was only 8 episodes so I just went and finished it, so here is my review. (WARNING Contains SOME spoilers, but not much. lol)

It reminded me of those 80s teen rom-com movies like The Breakfast Club and what not. Overall pretty good show, but as far as the IR relationship goes it was disappointing and made me feel bad for Jackson. Meave was into Otis until the very end. Even when Jackson let her go after what she said to him, letting her true feelings out and still showed mercy with what he did she played him and was still interested in getting with Otis until she saw he was unattainable. This show was actually the other IR(bw/wm) friendly. If this show returns for a 2nd season they would do better putting Jackson with someone else or I'm not going to be watching it because it will become clear she would only want to be with Jackson because she couldn't have Otis. Maeve started off decent, thought she was getting better then the last 2 episodes showed that she was not very good to Jackson. She was not likable and folks in the hashtag on twitter I kept trying to avoid didn't like how Maeve treated Jackson like shit after the first few episodes where it seemed like she genuinely was into him as well.

There's no way they can keep pursuing Jackson & Maeve and it be genuine. She winded up alone which is where she should've been. Jackson was a great guy until the end and even showed mercy with what he tried to do for her.

So as far as this show goes it reminded me of an 80s teen rom-com that I used to go see at the show in high school so it was refreshing to see have a little bit of an IR twist. But as far as IR(BM/WW) Friendly it started off like it was that, but that relationship was terrible and this show was more IR(BW/WM) Friendly if you seen the last episode you would know what I mean. But it just goes to show all the more reason why we should be more aware of supporting roles played by black men in IR relationships because they could really fuck it up sometimes. This was sour, but as I said at least she winded up with no one. lol.

BTW: I find it ironic that they had her be a feminist. LOL!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. The Dark King

Wow really? I saw it totally differently, I thought there situation was totally high school, they started out as fwb and she was afraid to want more because she thought he was too good for her, something you rarely if ever see with bm/ww ir. I wasn't thrilled with her being damaged until you realize all the kids come from messed up families except for Eric, his father son scenes were actually pretty amazing, I love when they can actually show black men being their for their sons and actually caring about their well being. The IR between Otis and Oli was the last episode it wasn't a competing thing for attention it just turned out that way. I liked the scenes where Jackson did a huge gesture of romance (did the same exact thing in HS and bombed miserably lol), he got to be vulnerable which we never see and dark skin which we also never see (unless its the Uk). Yeah it was very 80s with the soundtrack which I dug especially with the bullying. Didn't like the end with Eric and the bully, that shit was problematic af, I do work with an LGBTQ outreach program near me and that is the worst message to send out to young people. It is not ok normalize being with someone who clearly abuses you and would never promote that nonsense if it were a hetero couple. All and all I would see a second season.

18. darkcurry

When you start to follow their relationship and the things she was doing when it came to Otis from episode 6 to 8 like smelling Otis' shirt, How the way she looked at Otis during that speech he gave to the suicidal kid, Spending more time with him, She was nonchalant with Jackson pretty much shooting him down until he begged, didn't want him touching her, to the end where she let him know she didn't love him. When Otis gave her that trophy she completely forgot all about hurting her ex-boyfriend who she just broke up with the same day and went on and THOUGHT she could try and get with Otis. She was dead wrong there and threw away his shirt like it was nothing. High School or no High School That kid did so much for really the wrong girl imo. If the goal was to prove that she was no good for him then they kind of succeeded with that and others saw it as well. I was finally able to read the hashtag #sexeducation and type in Meave and Jackson in it and you see a lot of people wasn't feeling how she was treating homeboy. But he turned out to be a pretty good kid even with all that was going on with him.

Like I said I would be interested in season 2, but not if they try to go with this Maeve and Jackson love story(or triangle) because then she would only want him because she saw she couldn't have Otis.

People who noticed how she did Jackson would reject that with GOOD reason. Not to mention the abortion she still haven't told him about. Like I said they succeed in proving she was no good for him. I can see him with AMY or LILY'S crazy ass more than I see him with Maeve. lol.

But if they leave that alone it's a pretty good show.

19. The Dark King

I hear you I just took it as she was damaged and looking for a savior type in her life. Otis became that because he could talk to her in way no one else could kind of like a parent. I agree she's totally wrong for Jackson and maybe since I've dated a few broken girls like her I can see it for what it is. She's a broken bird and looking for someone to fix her wing since she never really had parents or anyone else look out for her. As far as the abortion I'm with women on the fact its her body her decision and no one else's business. Why tell him? For what exactly? For a fake emotional tv moment? I think in those circumstances most women keep it to themselves.

20. darkcurry

She maybe broken, but hurting people around her is no excuse. Sure a teenager would learn from things like that, but that's in real life. This is a TV show and at times they are TERRIBLE at having art imitate real life. It's a longshot they have HER on the therapist sofa being as though she is the main female lead. They'll probably dust her off and have Jackson play the fool again or put her in a love triangle with Otis and Jackson. In real life a good guy like Jackson would finally learn his lesson and have too many people on his side trying to get him to drop her and remind him she would only be trying to get with him because she can't have Otis. And best BELIEVE his parents would know about her and tell her about herself. lol.

As far as the abortion thing goes. I agree with some of what you said, but it's also his baby too. A Father has the right to know what you're choosing to do with his child. People always try to marginalize Fathers into these social stereotypes and make it seem like they are worthless in comparance to Mothers. He had the right to know of that decision.