Black While Walking

Discussion in 'Dealing with Prejudice' started by The Dark King, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

It's those neighborhood watch guys you need to be afraid of. Those Zimmermans will shoot you for walking home

2. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

It's ridiculous and ironic but the cops only get reprimanded and you only get justice for an illegal stop if you did do something wrong (I.e. case dismissed etc.).
    It becomes interesting however when they stopped you cause they suspected you for trespassing and decided you didn't do that but frisked you and found the weapon used in a murder down the street. An important decision came out a couple weeks ago where court said cops can't go thru your phone when they arrest you for traffic violation, etc. This was huge for technology privacy generally. See Riley v California

3. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

This chart is fairly accurate, everyone should know the laws where they live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_Identify_statutes

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

By detained I mean five officers surrounded me until they successfully obtained my id took my information and wouldn't let me leave until they ran a check to see if I had warrants during which time they patted me fown for weapons even though the call they got had nothing to do with any weapons or even stolen property.

Guys thanks for the support because this was fucking with my mind big time.
    It's one of those things you take for granted until it happens to you. They can get you for any bogus bs if they want to. They couldn't even tell me what I actually did all they said was they got a call about someone acting suspicious. I still have no clue what that means in the context of a business with no closed sign. If you don't want patrons on the property close the damn gate case closed.

6. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Very sorry this happened to you, babe. Just insane how these days it seems you have to prove your innocence and not the other way around! I would have been shaken up mad too! Good to know you have a place to seek sound advice at least in the interim.

Beat of luck it you that all I sorted out for you :(

7. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member

I won't go too far into detail,but a cop asked me for my ID,I said no and the next thing I know I know I'm in cuffs for 'failure to ID'.

As far as the 'disobeying a lawful order/command',that'not just a military charge. If a police officer tells you to put your hands behind your back and you refuse that's disobeying his/her order or command.

8. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Again, the laws will vary from state to state on whether or not you're required by law to present your ID. In some states, you are not required to present ID or even your name, unless you're being placed under arrest. In other states, you can just give your first name when asked. I suppose in others, you're required to present ID when requested.

Also, I am obviously no lawyer, but I've still never heard of 'disobeying a lawful order / command' used in the context of civilian law. Obstruction of Justice? Interfering with an officer? Sure. Disobeying a lawful order / command is just asinine. What exactly constitutes a 'lawful order'? That seems far too vague to expect reasonable and unbiased enforcement. Today a lawful order can be 'present your ID' and tomorrow 'take two steps to the left'. Goodbye democracy, hello fascism.

PS: I'm not saying you're wrong, I honestly don't know enough about the law. I'm just saying it's a bullshit charge that makes little sense to me.

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Failure to comply has BROAD interpretations state by state per below. Even though I love the law, it can be, and often times is, BS in its application.

"Failure to comply in general means a failure, refusal, or neglect to obey an official order. Failure to comply may be a criminal (punishable by incarceration) or civil offense (punishable by fine), depending on the type of order that was disobeyed."

http://definitions.uslegal.com/f/failure-to-comply/

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

yeah, broad interpretation. "your honor he was reaching for the moon to hit us with it....so we hit him with the baton to protect ourselves" - cops

11. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Funny. I asked one of the cops who detained me if there was anything wrong. He said, "We got a call from some girl about someone prowlin' around her house."
    I said, in my knowing tone, "Ah."
    I was nowhere near a girl's house and if I was, I was riding past houses on my bicycle. Would a person riding on a bicycle spread fear if the rider did nothing but peddle? I don't think so. And there were really no neighborhood watch patrol people around and I was riding on the main street to town that night.

12. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

It's disheartening. I'm so sorry you went thru this. I'd be livid.

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

If I were livid at the time, the cop would've been expecting it and would arrest me in a New York minute. Being calm and cooperative was what I would be known for by the police and sheriff's office. It was a little distressing at first, but in the town of Lake City, FL cops have nothing to do when everything is quiet after dark. They're just bored. These cops knew me so well that they often stopped to see if I was okay because I was walking along the highway and not wearing reflective clothing. It was a legitimate concern and I had to be reminded of that fact at the time. My sister had a rather nasty encounter with the police one night after she was driving home from going to a club. The officer thought that she was drunk and he followed her. Then he called a dozen units to pull her over. She was given the sobriety test and she passed, proving that she wasn't drunk, just tired. She left very pissed off. The cop was probably embarrassed to have caused such a furor. To this day I still cooperate with the police because I'm not going to give them the satisfaction of a little police action where I am concerned.

14. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

G,it goes to show that racism is never going away in our lifetimes. Plus,the Black conservatives are in fantasy land if those cop stops never happen to them. To any Black person: Be calm,cooperative,and don't act up when it comes to the police. A Black policeman's organization had a booklet on it.

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I owe all that to my father. He taught me to respect law enforcement officers among other things(he didn't teach me much, but I learned this from him while watching cops shows like Adam-12, The Rookies, Ironside, and others back in the day). I believe most black or even Latinos are aware of the fear the police generate because they feel targeted when they are around. Some politicians say, " If you don't have a guilty conscience, you have nothing to fear." For some people, there really is nothing to fear. For others, there is something to worry about(like driving without insurance or an expired driver license, mechanical issues like lights or a smoky muffler, etc). I didn't want to give a police officer a reason to use force me at all. It didn't matter what race he or she was. I just submit and de-escalate because they are armed and I am not. The issue with the police is that it is a gang/mob mentality. They have the "Blue Wall Of Silence" like the old mafia's "Omerta." Like the case of Garner who was choked to death during an arrest, you can bet that there will be some cops who will say nothing about the case if they were there. The case is now a homicide according to the ME.

16. MixedCalifornian

MixedCalifornian Active Member

Being questioned by police in my own neighborhood broad daylight at age 14.

17. The Dark King

It's ridiculous. Makes me question even being here anymore. I can't imagine having kids in this country

18. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

I want to clarify that this statement was not intended to be funny at all. Quite the contrary, I was reminding us that this is a mortal issue. Recovering one's ID and preempting suspicion in a potential future burglary investigation is the least of concerns when "black while walking." My statement was sarcastic to drive home a point, but I regret it for its insensitivity and lack of respect. "Black while walking" is a fatal offense, saint louis is further support, but my sarcasm was inappropriate. Please forgive.

19. The Dark King

Thanks for this :freehug:

20. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

I had my face slammed on my first police car at age 12.

While walking home from school with friends, a car full of white guys drove by and yelled something out the window at us. I did not hear what they said, and I don't think my friends did., but of course we responded to them by giving them the finger and cursing at them. The car slammed it's brakes, backed up and pulled up on the curb. 3 white officers got out of the car and threatened us with a 'mob action' charge., or something along those lines.

I'm sure what they yelled at us was 'good luck with your homework' or something along those lines.