Billy Porter wearing a dress to the Oscars. More embarrassing Black male emasculation.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Frederick, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

This brother always does good work. Glad that he did a video on this nonsense.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Good video and I'm at the point where I just want to see every upwardly mobile black man grab three black men who aren't doing well and push them to greatness. Find three dudes who ain't doing much and put them through community college and help them get an in demand skill. If you can't afford that then help them fill out a fafsa pay for their books for the semester something. Because dude was right we are all we have. Our women left us decades ago and everyone uses us as their boogeymen.

3. The Dark King

It would be great not care or worry about what people say in terms of us but being constantly demonized makes it even easier to dehumanize you. If we don't speak up and "complain" who else will for us?
    And sometimes just talking about this shit is cathartic it makes you feel good to know you're not insane that others see what you're seeing.

4. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

That dress would looked better on me.

5. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

LOL. Yeah, I think some dudes are overreacting to the spectacle of a (Black) man wearing a dress.

Believe it or not, Black male masculinity it still celebrated in Hollywood, otherwise actors like Denzel, Samuel Jackson, Michael B. Jordan, etc. wouldn't be household names, and a movie like Black Panther would never get made.

One gay Black man in a dress at the Oscars shouldn't be powerful enough to topple the edifice of Black masculinity.

6. The Dark King

my dude who else is doing this

7. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

The thing is that I actually think Billy did this on purpose and wore that dress to make fun of the entire Oscar phenomena.

8. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Not saying I agree with it, I just don't care enough to take it personally.
    It's not much different to me than when those young rappers were wearing skirts and dresses. They wanted attention, got it, but there's not much else to it for me. Other than they look stupid.

9. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

You know its awards season when these idiots start trending on Twitter because of all of the weirdos squeeing over them.

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 11.07.06 AM.png

10. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Meh, let em cook. I agree, that although it’s their business how they want to dress, the uber-liberal side always wants to act like all black men should dress like that for their entertainment. It’s annoying, but I have no issue letting those brothas do what they do.

11. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

True, those guys were praised for those outfits. But didn't Hollywood and everyone else also spend yesterday praising Kobe Bryant? The public definitely never saw him as anything but unapologetically black and masculine.

AND he was married to a non-black woman. And this is all in spite of the fact that he once caught a case for allegedly raping a white woman.

That goes against this narrative right? School me if I'm wrong.

12. meowkittenmeow

Kobe Bryant is an exception and not the rule. I don’t believe gay or queer men should have to tame themselves to appease homophobes. But equating people’s love for Kobe to the ending of racist views of black masculinity is the equivalent of saying that racism is dead because Obama was elected.

13. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

LOL!!! That isn't even a little bit what I meant or said. By NO means have racist views of black men ended. All I said was that flamboyant gay men aren't the only image of black men celebrated these days.

I think we're on the same team here.

14. meowkittenmeow

Straight black men aren’t really celebrated at the moment. Feared, fetishized, and underrepresented in new series and shows is more the case. The music industry is an exception.

15. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Okay you may be on to something, at least in a global sense (which is your point, I think). Like I've said to several guys here before, I think we're on the same side.

16. meowkittenmeow

Based on that “peeing privilege” post on other thread, I am not so sure, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

You'll be on the same side as me and like it! Lol

18. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

To be fair if you spend enough time on Twitter you'll see that some of the so-called uber-liberals like it with ANY guys dress like this. They were doing the same for harry Styles and that ":shirt" he wore during that Met event a year back.

Must understand that the most crazy folks on twitter happen to be the most vocal. Reylos are a perfect example.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. JamalSpunky

Nope. Wrong on that one. They aren't celebrated enough in music either. I'll have to write about t sometime soon but we are in the nadir.

20. JamalSpunky

Nas X? Whatever. He is what he is and this is the most extravagant thing he has ever worn publicly tat I am aware of. Not a fan but the guy deserves his time in the sun to strut I suppose.

Porter though? Fucking attention whore. He won't let up. His outfits get more desperate every time he shows up at an event.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020