are men attracted to intelligent and successful women? a study answers that question.

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by goodlove, Jan 4, 2016.

1. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

Beautifully stated!

2. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Agreed! The reality is that we all have strengths and weaknesses, and even a well-accomplished person is not going to be good at everything, nor will they know everything. I've known people who may hold a higher degree/credentials, and get cocky toward others who may be less educated/accomplished. Definitely comes down to checking the ego, and mutual respect. I'm all for people being ambitious, but I personally steer away from the whole competition thing. There's just no reason for it, in my opinion.

3. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

That has more to do with attitude than actually feeling threatened.

How is a woman a threat to anything of anybody?

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Competition can be healthy in some respects. But one has to distinguish when the competition ends. Egos have to shut down at some point. People have to understand that every person's life journey is different from everyone else.

5. DudeNY12

Agreed! I should've clarified that I meant competition within a couple in regards to intelligence/educational/career accomplishments, etc. If my g/f is smarter than I am (which i believe she is).. That's great. She holds a master's degree (I have bachelor's), but at this time my salary happens to be higher. I'd never feel a need to compete with her because she's achieved a higher level of education. Likewise, I'm sure she doesn't feel like she has to compete with me to earn a higher salary.

6. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I recall visiting the Russian/Ukrainian women dating sites. A lot of those women are very accomplished in various careers and fields. And yet, they remain feminine. In South and Central America, a Latinas who is an attorney is not exactly like an an attorney here in the USA. An attorney does other services than practice law and going to the court house on a daily basis. Yet, they remain feminine. They, like the Russian and Ukrainian women, are not in competition with men. These individuals do what they do to survive and keep a roof over their heads.

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I like to be challenged intellectually perhaps that's what you are saying as well.

If you get your masters just to prove you can, that would be silly.

8. DudeNY12

Yes, I've heard this too. Cultural??? I guess an argument can be made, but I also personally know plenty of highly accomplished people here who are rather humble. One that comes to mind is a good friend who is a OB/GYN with a very successful practice. Even to the point in which he'll introduce himself by his first name, and not as Dr. so and so.

Agreed. Absolutely nothing wrong that sort of healthy challenge.

9. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Not from my experiences; I prefer blissful ignorance in a relationship. Not everyone will agree with that but that's ok.
    [​IMG]

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I have met instructors in a security guard course that have military, law enforcement(local state and federal),private investigator and EMT/Paramedicsamedic training. Impressive credentials from all of them. I never asked about dating situations, though. Some security guards add EMT/Paramedic training for the event of being in a first responder situation.

11. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Like you I'd like to know what this definition/bar of femininity is?
    Are we all expected to act in a demure manor, wear skirts, pastel colours and yet at the same time be hard nosed go getters.

A lot of these descriptions reminds me of Melanie Griffith in Working girl lol

My opinion is intelligence is relative to the person on the look out for it.
    What someone pins as intelligent is not the same for everyone.

Education gives you an indication of someones abilities in certain areas not the overall intelligence of a person or whether they are a good fit for you.

I've been out with men of varying professions over the years and really only had one that seemed overly concerned with being Top Dog to the point of trying to make you feel inadequate, it was a slowly blossoming condescension plumped up by his self importance as an Ophamologist and that his views on things were more important because of that "supposedly"
    (proud conservative voter also. what was I thinking? :rolleyes:)

But other than him I've not experienced this power struggle in any kind of negative way or any way that it annoyed me in any big way.

My ex husband used to be a bit neg when I had a better paid job than him and he would make sarcastic comments occasionally. Usually when we were with others and discussions were rolling about what you do and so on.
    That was about it though and I put it down to him being a bit of a baby and overly sensitive to others perceptions about who was wearing the trousers.
    He was more accomplished than me educationally, clever man but not overly confident.

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

one of the three is on point. if the three read hat the men are saying im sure it would be said.......

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  13. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

I think we may have a topic..GL can start a new thread...what is femininity in regards to success/intelligence. I am sorry Ches but I don't understand what you are saying either...I think a woman can be successful/intelligent and at the very same time be feminine. I almost wonder if you really mean "traditional" instead?

14. K

K Well-Known Member

I was confused by this as well. I went ahead and started a new thread.

15. K

K Well-Known Member

This conversation reminds me of the idea that women who are intelligent and/or successful must be hardened and tough.....and act almost like a man.

I don't get how that has anything to do with the level of intelligence.

In regards to success - there are many different definitions of success and while I may agree that there are some environments where one has to be shark-like, or maybe more machine-like to succeed, I don't think that's necessarily gender specific. Nor does that necessarily indicate how they are outside of work. Although many may get caught up in that and it may permeate their entire life, but again not something that is gender specific.

It all just seems to be a very narrow view imo.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Get what? You actually didn't explain it all.

It ridiculous that we are even having to define femininity to show it's independent to intelligence and success.

I think so. Back when women were always told be seen, not heard. That they belong in the kitchen/Barefoot and pregnant, that a woman's place is in the home, that men make all the decisions. so many cliches. :neutral:

17. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Hey. What are you trying to say?

Lol

Lol

Lol

18. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I dont understand that you guys dont get what she is saying.

19. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

It's ironic that several men here get it but the women are baffled.

20. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the men know what feminine means:p