Random Conversation 2.0

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Bookworm616, Oct 7, 2011.

1. fly girl

fly girl Well-Known Member

Becca I know I crossed a line with him. I expressed my concerns over his sons sudden display of wealth after the PPP loans went out. I knew to keep my mouth shut, but I didn't.

Oh and yes we are lucky here in the US.

2. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

But you're younger than me! You can't be old because if I'm not then you're not. Unless time moves different in Australia or something lol. It is a strange and wonderful place, after all.

3. beccaomecca

beccaomecca Well-Known Member

Wellllll the perks of having that beautiful dark soft skin means you’ll never age! We look and feel old over here and this harsh sun (you know the one - the Australian sun) it ages us immensely lol that’s why I feel oldddd!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  4. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

No prob, I’ll take your pug, you take my kids. :D

5. Madeleine

I have been to England, Spain, France, Italy, Austria, Greece, Malta, India, US, Nigeria and New Zealand. Grew up in Germany, moved to Switzerland 4.5 years ago.

6. beccaomecca

haha! Done deal! You take my kid too haha! But just know I have no backdrops of mountains and rivers haha.

oh wow you’ve done a great amount of travelling hey and you’re around my age! Amazing! I worry I’m going be way too complacent and be stuck in Australia forever haha.

7. Madeleine

To be fair travelling within Europe is easy and close compared to travelling from Australia. It’s like driving from one state to the other in the US. You should try NZ though, I think they have some cheap offers from Aussie and it’s so beautiful. I went on a school exchange and stayed for 7 months and then another time for 2.5 months. Most of my travelling was pre-kids. We did travel to the US and Nigeria (family) with the kids and went to Italy a couple of times for holiday and we go back to Germany a couple of times a year to see my family (Germany doesn’t count as holiday for me though). Am planning to go there again after Christmas.

8. beccaomecca

You’re right! It’s like the rest of the world is up here and then Australia’s and NZ are miles away - pretty lame lol. I haven’t even been to Tasmania either lol apparently it’s very similar to NZ. And assumably close to the beauty of Switzerland. Oh wow that’s amazing you got to spend so much time in NZ. They just have the coolest accents don’t they!!!

Maybe I should just move to Ireland to be close enough to other decent countries lol Are you married to a Nigerian? How many kids do you have? They must be super adorable!! I wish I had more :p that sounds great! I’d love to see Germany one day. It’s just so expensive travelling anywhere from Australia. Unfortunately including interstate! It’s bonkers. This country is senseless lol

9. Madeleine

Yes, married to a Nigerian. 3 kids. Ireland is beautiful but too much rain;-). At least with your son almost grown up and you are still so young you can start a whole new chapter of your life in a couple of years!

10. beccaomecca

oh my! I bet you have the most adorable kids! How old are your kids? Haha! It’s SO SO weird to think I’m going to have a 17 year old in just 5 months. Life honestly flies by. I still specifically remember his 3rd birthday just like it was yesterday! Lol. Hopefully my new chapter will include living in a different country lol. Are the kids all excited for Christmas? Do you guys go all out with Christmas decorations on houses over there? Even though my child is grown I still enjoy going out to see all of the Christmas lights displays lol

11. Madeleine

They are 9,7 and 3. Right now we are all sick (except hubby) so that is dampening the joy of Christmas a bit, but they are looking forward to it. We do Christmas decorations, but not as elaborate as in the US. We have other Christmas traditions, like an advent wreath, advent calendar and certain cookies and pastries. We also use real spruce trees as Christmas tree. So we don’t set up the tree weeks but only days before Christmas, else it’d have already dried up when Christmas rolls around.

12. beccaomecca

Aww how sweet! Bugger so sorry to hear you guys are sick! Glad hubby is well enough to take care of you guys. I’m sick too! Came down with a viral infection just yesterday and feel absolutely horrible and just to top it off my mum just text me to tell me they thought they were going to lose my Grandad last night and had a priest visit him this morning :’-( so I definitely don’t feel like I can look forward to Christmas now, this has changed the whole trajectory of the end of year.
    It’s neat how different countries have their Christmas traditions :) that’s very insightful xx

13. fly girl

fly girl Well-Known Member

I took a very laissez-faire approach to my families racism early on. I was independent, could live my life as I please, I thought. After my health issues I had to move closer to them to recover. I wish I would have squashed their bigotry hard now. Before I was released to drive I asked for a ride and my dad said, “get you a little n boy to drive you”.

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you can't squash their bigotry. That's something that they themselves have to be willing to squash. My wife has learned that the hard way over the last couple of years with certain members of her family primarily her brother. For decades she had blown off most of his questionable behavior as him being just an entitled asshole, but then the last couple of years started realizing that telling things I had been noticing and pointing out since back when we were dating as well as tell tale things our kids themselves had picked up on about him over the years spending time with him and his family since they were little and told us about were true. That's who & what they have chosen to be while you have chosen to be the opposite of who & what they are. Continue to love your family but don't tolerate or embrace their negativity. If and when you are able to distance yourself again, do so otherwise there's going to be unwanted stress and drama especially now since so many people believe embracing their racism and bigoty as some kind of virtue.

15. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

I'm sorry you're dealing with that from your family. Sadly, there really isn't anything you can do or could have done in the past to change them. Like Ra said, they have to be willing to change before it can happen. They're being who they choose to be, and you're not likely to change bigoted minds that are already made up. I know how hurtful and frustrating it can be, especially when it's coming from people you love. All you can do is live your truth, don't tolerate any mess, and pray that they figure things out and turn from their bigoted ways. Some family you have to love from a distance when their values don't line up with yours.

It took a while, but over time most of my family finally came around and changed their thinking/ways. In the beginning I never thought it would happen, but thankfully it did. They learned and grew and chose to let go of their ignorant and hateful beliefs to become better people. For those who didn't, I keep my distance. Sometimes that's all you can do.

16. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

You are fortunate of not living in the northern part of the country.

17. Soulthinker

Get well soon.

18. Soulthinker

I wonder how some Aussies have the money to travel outside Oz? On my first trip to Europe 32 years ago I saw a Aussie tourist.

19. Madeleine

Northern part of Switzerland? Why, what’s happening there?

20. Soulthinker

My apologies. I thought you had moved to Ireland. Being in one of the cantons near Bern or Zurich is all good.