Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Well the movie is based on the Dahomey tribe whom had a MAJOR role in the Atlantic Slave Trade. There is history of european slave traders marrying Dahomey women because they could not just take slaves contrary to popular belief. Read 'Daughters Of The Slave Trade' or at least research it. So it is plausible for them to add that in there. It went on but probably not in the way the film wants to portray it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I am amazed that you can interpret my response as me coming after you . I voiced some frustration but not any aggression.

And where is this strawman’s argument you keep going for regarding the comparison between the status situation of black men and white women? Where in that article and/or description of the movie did it mention that the story was trying to EQUATE the suffering of one with the other? Its not a contest. A person can be more oppressed than another with the two of them still being victims. People in terrible circumstances can find common ground without making a measurement of whose pain is worse. An extreme weather event hits a village and one man loses his wife while another man loses his entire family. The latter obviously got hit the hardest but that doesn’t mean he can’t relate to the other guy who “only” lost his spouse.

In the times this movie takes place the main advantage white women had over black men was that they were part of white society and the law would protect them more. But they did not run things. They did not make the law. They were essentially property to their husbands and their fathers. Their rights were limited, restricted. As tone deaf as it may seem to us today there was a reason why the white women who started the women’s movement in the early 20th century compared their situation to the slavery of blacks or second, third, fourth class citizenship status of black people. Obviously that was an exaggeration but people who are under better circumstances are often too blind to realize they have it better than others.

That being said not only did white women lack the right to vote or for the most part, own property and keep their inheritance rather than having to give it over to their husbands, not only were they kept from administrative positions in government or not expected to do anything more than raise a family, they were also raped and killed and faced domestic violence at a rate that history books overlook.

So with real scenarios out there, is it too much of a leap that a white woman and a black man in the Old West could see themselves as kindred spirits who suffer from similar slights and societal pressures?

3. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct that that nation was involved with the slave trade. And of course white men mated and married with women of foreign nations all the time. But I am unaware of any record that any of these female warriors mated with white men, the enemy they were eventually sworn to kill. Regardless of that there was no need to go down that road in THIS film. That’s a choice that was made. Lets say someone decided to make a film about the Montgomery Bus Boycott and came up with the idea of including a Romeo and Juliet type of subplot in which the young son of a black pastor has a romance with the white daughter of a rich businessman who owned the buses? Hell, that’s not totally unrealistic and it presents an interesting dynamic. But black audiences would be OUTRAGED. Recall when black people made a stink about the absence of black female characters in that film “Detroit” despite the fact the story stayed true to history by taking place one night in a motel in which black women had the fortune of not being trapped in? Anyway, black folks would be demanding answers for why the filmmakers would include such a bmww romance in this imaginary boycott film I’m suggesting. They would point out how it is distracting from the true intent of the story and that it was a slap in the face for a black male to be pursuing a “whyt” woman during a moment in history in which African Americans were fighting and dying for their freedom. Of course if the subplot had been about a black woman and a white man in this boycott flick those same people wouldn’t say a thing.

4. Jeffrey Tripp

Jeffrey Tripp Well-Known Member

As a black man maybe I'm sensitive and I can understand finding common ground but it all depends on the structure of the story for me. I can't help but think about the indisputable fact that White women have historically aided their White male counterparts in the oppression and subjugation of Black people and that makes things muddy. White women benefit from White supremacy in some way even more than the men and usually at the expense of Black people. I have to always acknowledge and be mindful of that no matter how strong the attraction is.

5. darkcurry

ABSOLUTELY! But we all(at least most of us on here) know why they did it in this film. Just like they didn't want to address the viciousness and cruelty and roles this tribe had in the slave trade. I don't want to get into the politics of hollywood but I wasn't surprised, in fact when the trailer came out I had a gut feeling they were going to throw in some lovin with the white enemy.

6. Summerred

Summerred Well-Known Member

Spoiler from this review Screenshot_20220914-215835.png
    The actor who play Malik, the romantic interest
    Screenshot_20220914-214438.png
    Someone on twitter who watched the movie during the premiere in Canada said that Malik end up helping to kill the other slave trade playing by the white actor.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  7. BabyFatman

BabyFatman Member

New Sadie Sink movie

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. darkcurry

The trend continues.:)

Also I find it interesting that this is Rated R being as though how the trailer played out. It came off as a PG-13 teen drama movie.

9. kalel32688

kalel32688 Member

I watched Come Away with Angelina Jolie and David Oyelowo last night. Good movie. Jolie and Oyelowo played a good IR couple. Plus Oyelowo's character showed a good way, a better way, to discipline children.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. Jeffrey Tripp

There is a movie called Out Of Office that was on Comedy Central starring Milana Vayntrub the girl from the AT&T commercials and she's paired with Jay Pharoah.

• List
  11. Rollx007

Rollx007 Well-Known Member

My girl Jennifer Lawrence ???
    upload_2022-9-17_20-33-48.png upload_2022-9-17_20-33-54.png

But idk if Brian could pull this off if this is a romantic thing.

12. darkcurry

It's not unfortunately they went with the buddy IR for this one.

13. Jeffrey Tripp

Yup and I think that's why Brian got the role. If it was Michael B Jordan they wouldn't just be buddies.

14. BabyFatman

BabyFatman Member

[​IMG]

15. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Where is it streaming? I can't seem to find it.

16. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Here's the trailer for Comedy Central's "Out of Office":

I didn't know Comedy Central put out original movies. I'd assume this would be on Paramount+ streaming service (seeing as Paramount owns Comedy Central) & on the comedy central app/website.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Jeffrey Tripp

I got my own little sites I go to if you catch my drift.

18. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I just churned away from P+, but I'll get back eventually.

Gotcha. Help a brotha out with some info tho! Lol (Private message if need be, pls)

19. Jeffrey Tripp

Try 123movies or Putlockers

• List
  20. kalel32688

kalel32688 Member

Just remembered something: In King of New York (great movie, BTW), Wesley Snipes' character was married to a White woman, and they had at least two children.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List