The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Legacies Season 3 First Look & Trailer

It would make more sense for them to put legacies and Nancy Drew on in the same night since they both are kind of similar in genre.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to it. I was unfamiliar with the Witcher series until I saw it on Netflix. I was pleasantly surprised, and got hooked on online discussion about the similarities between it and the Elric of Melnibone series by Michael Moorcock.

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

You done broke out the true nerd card mentioning the Eternal Champion & his demon sword Stormbringer. These youngins not ready for that.:p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Pictured: Javicia Leslie as the new Batwoman.

[​IMG]

5. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

That one is just for us old folks lol. By the way, do you consider The Witcher to be a manifestation of the Eternal Champion?

6. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

We'll have to wait & see. As you mentioned there are some similarities to Elric, but I don't know if it will play out on that level. It seems to be it's own thing.

7. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

9. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

WW1984? Meh.

I didn’t think the movie was good. The action was great. Except for the wire work. The wire work was just way, way too obvious and unnatural looking.

Nothing really clicked to me. Some it was very corny and the emotional beats fell flat. Maxwell Lord came off like a poor man’s version of Gene Hackman’s Lex Luthor. It had some good concepts which, if there had been a better script, could’ve made this a good movie. But, overall, it was just, “meh.”

I’d give it a 6/10.

BTW, Kristen Wigg was sexy af, though. She got that hot MILF appeal after she starts to change. For whatever reason, funny women don’t register as sexy to me. Because of her comedic talents, I didn’t realize she had “that” in her. She should definitely do more serious roles. She looked believable doing some of those action scenes, too. She could definitely get it.

• List
  10. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

I hear it was low on Action Scenes. Its not doing well Box Office wise in Asia.

11. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

WW1984 was kind of boring to me, the first movie was way better. I get that WB is trying to do their superhero movies semi-independent of each other nowadays, but I think this movie really could have used some more comic book world-building.

12. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Interesting topic but unfortunately I won't be clicking on the video because I chose not to patronize pseudointellectual bigots like Ben Shapiro. People like him always have a "logical" reason to explain their (usually) racist or sexist rants. The funny thing about guys like him is when you breakdown their style of arguments, you quickly see that they have no real interest in logical reasoning because their reasons are almost always strawman fallacies.

With people like him, the question he poses can usually be superseded by a bigger more meta question. Which is, why of all the topics in the world does he so often find topics that give him the opportunity to rail against something that is minority or female-focused? Could it be that he is just another in a growing group of white men who are terrified of their loss of privilege, so they lash out at the things that scare them like a cornered animal?

13. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

Also I am not sold on it being a new phenomena...but also Media Consolidation means Movie Reviews is kinda turning into Videogame Reviews which is to say blank checks for access on blockbusters.

• List
  14. samson1701

A Christmas movie I'd actually watch.
    [​IMG]

15. samson1701

[​IMG]

16. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

What is this?

17. samson1701

Rando pic on FB. Just thought it looked like it'd make a cool movie.

18. darkcurry

Just finished watching WW84 and thought it was pretty good!

They kept the same tone as the last film but obviously just in a different time. I liked that they wrote it to give it the feel of a 80's superhero movie without making it corny as some of them were. lol. The action sequences were imo opinion solid. The car/truck/tank chase sequence was original and near perfect. I liked both fights between WonderWoman and Barbara/The Cheetah. I thought the first one to be better combat wise. The storytelling in the 2nd round was the main attraction.
    Snapshot 3 (12-26-2020 9-36 PM).png Snapshot 5 (12-26-2020 9-38 PM).png

I loved that Patty added another non-political disillusionment arch with the wishes part of the film. Although I didn't completely agree with what Diana was telling Maxwel. lol.
    WW84.png

Kristen Wiig rocked it and even her nerdy "loser" side was attractive. I definitely was feeling her character throughout the film. I loved ALL 3 phases of her character development.
    Snapshot 1 (12-26-2020 9-31 PM).png Snapshot 2 (12-26-2020 9-35 PM).png Snapshot 4 (12-26-2020 9-37 PM).png

There were some things I didn't care too much for. The Steve/Diana love arch revisited was okay. Not necessary to bring him back but it was okay. lol. Her armor in the film was basically useless. Especially since Cheetah pretty much tore into it. I didn't like the remix to the theme song and I don't think they were sure about it either. lol. Because it was featured earlier in the film and then they went back to playing the original WW film theme. It's almost as if they were just trying it out and went back and edited IN the original one. lol. And lastly the attempt at diversity and inclusion in this film felt forced imo. Some of it was cringeworthy.

Other than those things I give it a A-.

19. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I'm glad you liked it, I didn't think it was nearly as good as the first one.

We already did the fish-out of-water thing in the first movie (Gal Gadot did a better job as the person out of place than Chris Pine did) Speaking of Chris Pine's character. The resurrection of Steve Trevor felt really forced like they didn't think the movie could stand without the romance subplot. Also, the way the resurrection was done was kind of gross when you think about it (she had sex with a man who had the spirit of another man forced into his body without consent. In this post #metoo era that was a weird writing decision)

I also didn't like the rehashing of the old tropes of sad desperate people who really aren't that bad being corrupted by power. Can't villains just be evil dickheads anymore?

They kind of wasted Cheetah, this movie series is supposed to be woman-centric, but for the 2nd film in a row, the main villain is a man why couldn't Cheetah be the mastermind (she is supposed to be WW archnemesis after all)

And lastly, how in the hell could a WW1 pilot know how to fly a modern fighter jet? That's like a WW1 field doctor performing a heart transplant.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  20. darkcurry

I agree with those points also other points folks have an issue with including the ones I highlighted at the end of my review. But the things I liked about it was able to outweigh the let downs in the film for me. One of the things I look for is acting and even though
    Cheetah's arch was a let down especially at the end when she resended her wish
    Kristen Wiig made all 3 of her phases memorable and intriguing.