The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. SilverSmith

Featuring an original narrative set in the DC universe, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League takes place in an open-world Metropolis.

The story follows Suicide Squad members Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Captain Boomerang and King Shark who must take on an impossible mission to save Earth and kill The Justice League.

3. SilverSmith

Jim Lee's full art for DC FanDome.

[​IMG]

4. SilverSmith

HBO Max has released a second trailer for Ridley Scott's Sci-Fi drama, Raised by Wolves.
    The series premieres Thursday, September 3rd.

5. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I can't wait for this one!

6. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I'd argue the opposite. DC messed up by trying too hard to differentiate from Marvel.

Marvel spent years making solo films (from Iron Man to Captain America) before the first team up movie (The Avengers). DC made one mediocre Superman flick (Man of Steel) and dived right into the shared universe.

They'd have been better off building exactly like Marvel and establishing multiple characters in solo movies before trying something like Batman v. Superman, or even worse Justice League where they trot out multiple characters for the first time.

Of course their biggest problem BY FAR is that the movies (besides Wonder Woman and maybe Shazam) just aren't very good.

7. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Creative sci-fi stories mixed with a big budget sometimes can be a hit or a miss. But so far in the trailers especially the 2nd one this looks like it could be a BIG hit!

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

One could argue that the reason that the DC movies haven't been that good is due to Warner Brothers trying to compete with the MCU. Both Man of Steel & Batman v Superman are flawed because of Warner Brothers rush to establish a shared cinematic universe. Had they put focus on strictly estalishing a new & solid cinematic version of Superman as well as put out solo films for other DC characters that focused on telling good stories they would have been fine.

Remember that the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie was suppose to be the first official movie for the DC cinematic universe until it tanked. Had they taken their time with that movie & told a good story by establishing who Hal Jordan was then slowly built up the who & why of the Green Lantern Corps in follow up movies, they may have been able to set up the a sharded universe ala Marvel. Just my 2 cents however.

9. darkcurry

I know I'm of the minority with this but I thought they had a pretty good launch with Man of Steel & DoJ: Batman v Superman. With the exception Wonder Woman and Aqua Man they failed when they rushed in with The Justice League movie. Even the pace of the movie felt rushed. I personally though the return of Superman arch in TJL should've been in Man Of Steel 2. They made Steppenwolf a joke and Superman handled him with quite ease. I think they should've gave more background on this scene in DoJ where Lex Luger was giving us a taste of what was coming...
    [​IMG]

Also a Batman movie to introduce another character would've worked as well.

10. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

This is what Warner Brothers/DC should have done IMO :

Established a solid Superman franchise.

Established a solid Wonder Woman franchise.

Introduce & establish various characters/corners of the DC Universe (what they were trying to do with Suicide Squad) and hint at the idea that they are in a shared universe.

Don't do anymore solo Batman movies for a period of time. Only hint at or make references to him existing in other urban crime fighter movies where it would apply to reference him.

Rather than rushing to do a Justice League movie they should have done a DC Trinity movie which brought together their big 3 of Superman, Wonder Woman & finally bring in Batman.

After that they would be free to do whatever they wanted to including setting up & doing a Justice League movie or new solo Batman movies.

11. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I agree, They also should have lightened up their movies, and I mean that literally all that dark angsty crap from Man of Steel shouldn't define the whole cinematic universe. They were doomed the second they decided to make Zack Snyder their version of Kevin Fiege.

I also agree that they are way too dependant on Batman, and I've said it a dozen times an aged Batman in the DCEU was a terrible mistake. I think DC realized it was a mistake which is why they have rebooted Batman again but much younger.

Also, I know certain people complain about the Marvel humor but they have proven time and again that keeping audiences laughing brings butts back to seats. DC could use a few more yuck yucks and a lot less brooding.

12. darkcurry

I like some of those suggestions as well... but at the end of the day what's done is done so it's all about what they can do now to right the ship. We'll see with the Snyder Cut where they go from there. In the mean time I like what they are doing with Wonder Woman and Gunn's Suicide Squad looks promising.

13. SilverSmith

Netflix has dropped the first trailer for their upcoming Dragon's Dogma anime series. Protagonist Ethan seeks to exact revenge on a dragon for destroying his home.

14. SilverSmith

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. SilverSmith

New poster and Behind-the-Scenes Featurette for Mulan

[​IMG]

16. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

DC gives way more leeway to their directors than does Marvel. I believe Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman director) even recently mentioned that's why she chose to do a DC movie instead of a Marvel one. While Snyder is the closest they have to a Kevin Feige, they really would've been better off with their own Kevin Feige. By that I mean they should've hired someone to come up with an overall vision and implement it, instead of letting individual directors make it up as they go.

One reason Feige has been so successful is that he genuinely likes the characters and understands who they are at their core. That way he can simplify and change things without fundamentally changing the characters we know and love.

Superman is the obvious example of DC screwing it up. Once Nolan's Dark Knight series was successful, DC somehow thought it would be a good idea to let Zack Snyder try to turn Superman into Batman. Awful idea. At his core Superman is optimistic and bright. That is not the Superman we get until the third act of Justice League (after 2 full movies of brooding and dark). By then it's way too late and completely unearned.

17. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I agree. The DC 'verse seems rushed, as if they're trying to keep pace with Marvel, rather than develop their own exposition. As a result, their narrative structure always seems sloppy or forced. Dark Knight and Wonder Woman are the best so far. I also liked Man of Steel. The other movies, even where they showed promise (Aquaman), felt like impatient attempts to catch up to the Avengers so they could have a blockbuster at the box office. They aren't awful by any stretch, just less than they could have been.

18. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Excellent points. Another issue is simply that this is what we get when people who don't love comic book characters are in charge of producing comic book movies.

19. SilverSmith

Netflix has released a behind-the-scenes look at The Witcher. Making The Witcher is a half-hour show featuring interviews with the showrunners, cast and crew, as well as footage we haven't seen before.

20. SilverSmith

Fortnite is going full superhero for Chapter 2, Season 4.