The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I wonder if I'm the only one that changed favorites over the years. As a kid I did like superman.

My first favorite was the hulk because he was normal until you pissed him off then he transformed into a straight up beast.
    Later Wolverine became my favorite because of his attitude, natural born badass.

Wasn't till later when Stark became my favorite. We are almost just alike except he is a billionaire. The good whisky, nice clothes, outlook on life, love for tech and cars, some of the style, business sense ect...

Wonder if anyone else changed favorites over the years.

2. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Big props, my dude! I have only one small nuance to add. I think the Kents did play a big role, at least in an Americana type of way (Smallville vs Red Son for example). But yeah, you pretty much nailed it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  3. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Nah I think it's normal to relate to different characters over time. No way you're alone. The difference I see for myself is that my appreciation for my childhood favorites has deepened and evolved over the years. But I definitely added new favorites too. Black Panther and Iron Man weren't on my radar til late high school.

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Except you hate humanity lol. You wouldn't sacrifice it all to defeat Thanos.
    I'm with you mu favorites have changed
    I use to love Batman but he's a pompous rich guy who refuses to work out his issues with his parents deaths so he beats up on poor people while he retreats to his mansion.
    Use to love Superman but another pompous asshole who sits in judgement of people when he never has to deal with things like hunger or sickness. He couldn't possible get what drives us but wants to judge.

I probably like Green Lantern most at this point

5. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Can you point me to examples of this? I haven't had the same experience. Not calling you out, I for real wanna understand.

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Touche. You got me there bro. LOL

The Dark King 1, Beasty 0. Today
    [​IMG]

7. The Dark King

Which part?

8. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Where has he been pompous and judgmental?

9. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I think the Kents played a role in his need to stay in the U.S. and some of his values, but in most continuities, he had to hide his powers. It was his kryptonian family that taught him otherwise. But, yeah, I agree, just a few subtle differences.

10. The Dark King

The Frank Miller Batman series where Batman and Superman fight is a great example. Boy Scout to a fault. Willing to do as Reagan commands even though he was corrupt as they come. He was part of the oppressive status quo

11. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Okay yeah, you're right on with that one. That's actually a Superman story that I cannot stand, pretty much for that very reason. Fortunately, that story is not official cannon despite Snyder's best efforts lol

12. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

John Stewart or Hal Jordan?

13. The Dark King

John Stewart. Hal Jordan has flopped enough

14. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Haha I knew it

Added points for bagging Hawkgirl in the old Justice League cartoon

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

It is and I'm all kinds of 'nope' on it if it gets a series order.

16. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Would it change any minds here if at least one of them started a serious long-term relationship with a black man? Or does everyone here just hate it on bare principle?

17. samson1701

It was good. Very good. They should leave well enough alone.

Watching it taught me four things:

Black men aren't great cops (the cop in the beginning who was shot and killed)

Black men are goofy and will get you killed over technicalities (the cop in the panda mask)

Even heroic, smart and powerful black men are unfaithful and gay. Or, at least unfaithful and bi. (Hooded Justice)

The perfect father and extremely supportive and faithful black husband can, in actually, only be a white man in cosmic powered black face

I was actually looking forward to "Confederate." It could've been sweet if handled right.

18. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

LOL. "Watchmen" sounds as bad as all those Netflix shows that @The Dark King watches.

19. samson1701

No, that's not it for me. Not at all. It's just that the writing and direction on Arrow has gotten so weak. The fight scenes are atrocious. That, and they're falling over themselves making these heroes women. Which would be cool if young, straight, possible heart throb, leading man type black males got a chance at having superhero shows centered on them. That's not happening, here.

With that said, I'd watch if it were a well done show like Seasons One and Two of Arrow and Flash. But, I have no faith that that will be the case.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. The Dark King

It is an agenda my friend. I'm honestly shocked you can't see it