Loving Day Is Almost Here Again

Discussion in 'Welcome Center and Announcements' started by The Dark King, May 18, 2011.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

http://www.lovingday.org/

So it's that time of year again. Loving day is back around. For those of you who might be unfamiliar with Loving Day it's a yearly celebration held around the country in honor of the first Interracial couple to be legally married in the United States. They broke down a lot of barriers so relationships like ours could exist without the constant scrunity that it once recieved. So if any of you are able to participate in any of the celebrations by you that would be great. I'm also asking that if any of you attend please take lots of pictures and video for the site I've also been working on a documentary about IR dating for the last two years and the material would great appreciated. If any of you are interested in being interviewed about your personal encounters with IR dating that would be greatly appreciated as well. Let me know my email address is drae_diggs@yahoo.com
    If you're interested in promoting the site Webmaster gave the ok on that and I have some t-shirt ideas so feel free to ask about that as well.

[YOUTUBE]L3YffIRVigE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]9JryJDjFINM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

Well if you want to be factual the Lovings were not the first IR to be married in the US. There was many marriages in the 1600's. It was like 1690 when Virgina passed the first law against black and white marriages. All but 9 states followed with laws. They laws in each stated banned whites from marrying blacks, some states baned whites from marrying natives, Indian, and maylay. A few states banned blacks from marrying other races and in AZ multiracial people were banned from marrying anyone. California was the first state to overturn the law in Supreme court. It was a black man and white Mexican lady. B/C hispanics were considered white it was illegal for them to marry. Florida was the first supreme court case that overturned the law for cohabitation of black and white and the lovings overturned the law for the remaining states (mostly south) that still had laws banning marriage.

I not only will be attending a loving day celebration I'm holding one. I can't wait.

[​IMG]

3. swirlman07

swirlman07 Well-Known Member

If you want to be more factual, reports of the marriage suggested that she wasn't treated very lovingly.

4. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

Really. Do you mean by him or by others? I know he died like a year or so after the Supreme court. Do you have a link?

5. swirlman07

swirlman07 Well-Known Member

By him. I remember reading a magazine story about a reporter interviewing them about their marriage. The reporter described their interactions and comments that the husband made to the wife. I remember thinking that he didn't treat her very respectfully, talked down to her. It seems almost like a employer/maid relationship as I recall. That was years ago, but I will try to find a link if I can.

6. The Dark King

People lets remember we're celebrating interracial love here. Lets stay focused

7. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I'm pleased I was able to meet the daughter of the Lovings.

8. The Dark King

Oh wow. Did you actually talk to her or was it a quick meet and greet?

9. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

we have some oher threads on "loving day" where is mikey...lippy needs you to bump something important:mrgreen:

10. The Dark King

Yeah I made that one last year too lol

11. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

so why didn't you just bump your own thread? i thought suprchic also made one;)

12. The Dark King

Now that's a chick I miss. Repping IR love strong. Married with a baby and all that.

13. Soulthinker

I didn't know that yesterday was Loving Day. Hope more is mentioned today.

14. Soulthinker

15. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Now this is worth celebrating! For actual holidays I just celebrate family and/or down time. If it wasn't for that, those days wouldn't have any significance.