Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I think it's sometimes easier to do the right thing when you're not saddled with the fraught personal history. Sometimes people are too close to a situation to see it objectively. Not feeling all of the complex feelings nor inherently grasping the nuance of the situation and all of its players can make the right decision more obvious. Hope that makes sense

2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

You can't generalize white women. Specific white women have been pointed out and specific white women have been praised.

And why put quotations around evolve? People do evolve, change. Very few people stay the same people they were years ago or whatever.

She could've very well changed. We honestly don't know I have never heard of Sandra Bullock being such thing.

But she could have been and CHANGED her life and perspective. Because it happens, people do grow. Humans do make changes in their life. People do that. So it's not out of the realm of possibility. Can't render people foolish if they were right.

Sarah Silverman once dawned blackface and made some HARSH racial jokes about black people and says she has changed and regret all of that. Maybe she changed or maybe she playing to PC culture not to take her down. We don't know but we do know is she said she has grown and changed and that is something proven that human beings can do.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  3. darkcurry

Just seen Bird Box over the weekend and I enjoyed it. I like their other Big Holiday Film last year BRIGHT a little more, but this was really good as well. It is very Hitchcock like.

On the Interracial romance:
    It is slow build up to Mallore and Tom being lovers. So some of you might not like that. Mallore starts off being pregnant by a guy who left her. Sarah Paulson plays her sister who goes to her Doctor visit with her. Soon after their visit that is when the crazy shit started happening of some sort of evolutionary apocalypse of these creatures that were not seen by audiences but once the people in the movie seen the creatures it made them go psychotic as fuck, suicidal and homicidal. Tom helps a pregnant Mallore during the events and they along with other people wind up taking refuge in a Disgruntled Old man's house. They soon let in another pregnant woman. After an incident where they let one of the homicidal infected people in everyone with the exception of those that ran off with a car were all killed or killed themselves including the other pregnant lady. Tom and Mallore became the only two left with two babies to raise over the next five years. That is when the flirting ends and they became a couple with two kids. They fastforward of course five years later so the romance that we see is short, but sweet. While on the run scavaging secluded houses for supplies and food with the kids(sidenote: they had to go outside blindfolded to avoid seeing those creatures.) some of the homicidal people rode up to the house. To avoid them being killed Tom created a diversion for Mallore and the kids to escape while he took out the invaders and unfortunately had to sacrifice himself. If you don't like that just a reminder that it was well written and they did not make his character useless. He was special to Mallore and they displayed it well. So the romance is short and bitter-sweet but very well done.

And there is a short lovemaking scene that wasn't graphic, but romantic.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

"Bird Box" was the #1 trending topic on Twitter for several hours on Friday night-Early Saturday Overnight morning, I guess should check it out tonight.

5. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Lol! I don't know if that was directed at me, but slow builds aren't a problem (at least to me) in movies. Movies only last a couple of hours, not years lol. A movie slow build can be great.

6. darkcurry

Not directed at specifically you there are others like that on this forum, but it was totally non-aggressive. Just letting folks who would want to know and maybe check it out since it is written well. That's what matters to at least me. :)

7. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Appreciate ya. I didn't think it was meant aggressively. Just having fun with it

8. darkcurry

It's Trending number 1 again this morning. Unaware for how long since I was asleep earlier. But that and Sandra's Character Malorie and Tom are in the top trends. People really like this movie. I thought it was real good too. I didn't expect people to be this excited over it. lol.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/BirdBoxNetflix?src=tren

Very few quarrels about the IR love story they built which is even more awesome in terms of progress.
    Sandra Bullock and Trevante Rhoades - Bird Box.png

9. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Encouraging news. I'll have to check it out this week

10. darkcurry

11. Elklodge

Elklodge Well-Known Member

What I find impressive is that black people love Bird Box and seem to throwing Sandra Bullock zero shade. Everyone seems cool with it.

12. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I guess if society is crumbling, who's got time for that skin color BS lol???

13. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Sure. People also spout paranoid, baseless, exaggerated drivel that have no connection to truth and zero evidence to back it up; just because they FEEL that's what going on. The burden of proof fell on those who claimed Bullock was an IR dodger and of course they couldn't deliver such a thing but held on to their suspicions and accusations. Even if Bullock had changed some sort of prejudicial attitude or career protectionism she was holding onto (I doubt it) she at least have the benefit of never being dumb enough to make such a claim publicly in the first place (like that lead chick of Grey's Anatomy somewhat did). But there were a handful of folks here who jumped that gun and, IMO, were dumb enough to charge her with racism. They look even more foolish in retrospect.

14. darkcurry

Everyone who makes assumptions as if it is fact are of course foolish, but all I was saying It can go both ways unless we REALLY know a person. Racism unfortunately is judged by people's feeling and thoughts rather than facts and knowledge about racism. That's why I say I don't see anything she has done even in CODE that would lead people to such accusations. Did they know her personally, do they have her on tape doing things, was that the talk around hollywood? lol. If all they are going by is she never had a black male love interest then they don't know hollywood. lol. Actresses did not have much power for a longtime.

As you and I both pointed out and as actors themselves pointed out they didn't have a lot of power back then and still don't have some now. Even though I do believe in letting a director, producer, ect. do their job on THIER projects. But what is becoming abundantly clear is that a few of these actresses WANTS to have a black male love interest on screen.

15. darkcurry

So really kudos for Sandra Bullock AND Susan Blier because Bird Box is a HUGE hit with one that features a well grounded, handsome strong straight black male as not only Sandra's love interest but he had the kind of character that audiences loved.

16. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

LOL. Go listen to Tariq Nasheed's review of "Bird Box" if you wanna laugh at a hating-ass hotep conspiracy theory review. I pressed play & the 1st thing I hear is calling dude a "Plantation buck".

17. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I just watched Bumblebee. Liked it WAY better than any of the Bay movies. There's a whiff of ir romance, one-sided at least. Do not see this movie for that reason alone.

They actually make the black guy come off as pretty weak. He actually makes an excuse so he can skip the final big battle. I've never seen that from a "good guy" in an action movie. Pathetic.

The object of his affection gives him one kiss on the cheek (which she specifically points out is *only* a kiss on the cheek) and vocally refuses to hold his hand at the end. Pathetic.

I get that they wanted to make a big point about women being heroes in their own right and not needing to be the "prize" at the end of the movie. But it was hard to watch. Truly.

Actually, the real romance was between the girl and the car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Elklodge

Elklodge Well-Known Member

If you want to see Hailee Steinfeld in a much less one-sided IR
    Go see Spiderman Into the Spiderverse one of the best animated films of all time superhero or not and the IR is not one sided and the black kid is not made out to be weak or pathetic by any means. Plus if you go support you help speed up the sequel which will reportedly focus on their romance.

19. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Lol thanks for the tip
    I'm already on that train, homie! I'm going to see Spider-Verse for the second time tomorrow. Excellent movie, even without the Miles/Gwen setup. I may actually buy that one when it hits Blu-ray/streaming

20. darkcurry

That's that feminist spin on things that we have to be aware of when we see black men in movies and TV shows.