The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Dude makes some great points. Netflix overpaid for the Marvel shows when they originally ordered them because Marvel/Disney is a huge brand & Netflix really wanted to establish themselves as network with premium original content. Now that Netflix is an established goto network, it doesn't make sense for them overpay for these Marvel shows especially since some them aren't bringing in new subscribers like that.

Because of Disney's upcoming streaming service, Marvel is limiting the Netflix shows from using more big name Marvel characters.

2. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Wait, hold on.
    Titans is winning over the skeptics. The series is dark, violent and gritty- but that's what the viewers like about it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  3. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

I'd say they're a soft "R." Punisher's body count alone makes that show an "R" at least

4. RicardoCooper

I watched the pilot, it was trash

5. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

You know, that's precisely what I expected you to say. [​IMG]

6. ColiBreh1

I'm still watching through the 2000's "Teen Titans" animated series & that a higher priority for me. I have no idea when I'll take the time to watch "Titans".

EDIT:

I just saw on Wikipedia, that "Titans" is also a Greg Berlanti-produced show (like the DC shows on The CW) & the episodes are being released weekly instead of all at once like the Netflix & Amazon Prime Video does. I might check this out than.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  7. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

LOL. I'll give you this one.

I think you see so many Black male actors phased out of movie roles they had in the 1980s and '90s is because many of the top decision makers in Hollywood are Black women, not Black men.

When White men totally dominated production studios, they understood the value of strong Black male characters, to a degree.

A lot of these Black women really don't. It'll come back around though.

Movies like MIB are really 'guy' movies, and substituting a BW for the BM character doesn't really translate to more ticket sales.

I'm curious though why there aren't more BM greenlighting movies in H'wood.

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Because in our community we cower in front our women for the most part. A lot of dudes come from single parent homes where their mothers and grandmothers raised them so they are very comfortable with and expect to be directed by women. That's why you see so many black men cow tow to black women you rarely see black men criticize or say anything negative about black women in public, they're always queens to be exalted even though they are vastly responsible for nearly all the child neglect and abuse that goes on in the black community but that's a different conversation. Couple that with lack of fathers in the home, black men do not know how to have solidarity and brotherhood amongst each other. Every other group of men have a boy's club (for better or worst) that looks out for the members of that brotherhood we on the other hand have the special Negro crabs in the barrel mindset where there can only be one who makes it and its gonna be. Black women at least do the sisterhood queens help queens thing. So that's why you'll see a steaming pile of shit like Wrinkle of Time produced by a black woman written by a black woman and have black women as the leads without a single black man in sight including the leads father brother and love interest. It was considered a love letter to little black girls. Even black panther that was written and directed by a black man had black male leads was for "black people". We supposedly get Moonlight which was a movie about LGBT people and all kinds of trauma. Our decision makers are usually gay black men who worship black women and have unresolved issues with black men who bullied them or were absent when they were growing up. I could go on and on but its clear why black aren't getting true leads

9. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

That black women made about themselves.

10. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Sure did. The only black male that got credit was the one they wanted to hook up with

11. RicardoCooper

You're better off sticking with the old school Teen Titans cartoon, trust me on this

12. RicardoCooper

[​IMG]

13. RicardoCooper

Y'all better kill the social commentary before Ra starts crying again about y'all being off-topic

14. ColiBreh1

Soooooo..........Is Starfire gonna be a love interest for Dick Grayson/Robin on "Titans" like she is in the 2000's animated series & the direct-to-Blu-ray/DVD DC animated films or nah?

15. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

How about faux IR negroes on this site keep my name out of their posts and stop worrying about what I say or do? Especially if all you do on this site is bitch and complain about the various ways other black folks treat your special snowflakey black ass.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

My main gripe about Black Panther. He could not have been the hero he was if it weren't for Shuri. Fuck that! Tony Stark made all of his gear. But, BP is dependent on his little sister for his tech. Black men getting the short end again. In media, we never really had a "golden age" when we were our own, self made, super men. And, I'm not talking those bullshit hood movies, either. I've always hated them.

17. RicardoCooper

Yes, it fits The Agenda

18. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

To be fair, in the Teen Titans/Titans comics, they are "that" couple and have been for decades. Think Scott and Jean in the X-men.

19. RicardoCooper

I realize that (I've got the New Teen Titans run in my collection). But it just so happens that Starfire being black in the TV show dovetails right into the post-"Scandal" agenda of white man/black female love interest

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

With him supposely being one of the 8 smartest people in the MCU, I thought it was weird that they had him depending on his sister like that.

Definitely my biggest gripe. It's like they don't allow you a legit opportunity to like him as much as Stark.