The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Problem is some ya'll discuss the exact same shit in MULTIPLE THREADS.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

The problem presents itself in different ways in different threads. Seriously as a sci fi comic fan you don't see it. You don't see how they write and portray black men? You think any of us like it, we like that even in an area never occupied by black women we have to take a backseat because they're being pandered to? You think any of us want to see superheroes that no one actually roots for?
    Sorry it bothers you that we talk about it. How would you like us to proceed?

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Dude, when does talking about shit and not actively doing anything fix any problems?

Too many people on this site live by the Goodlove/Bliss doctrine. Talk & tell everyone how & why shit should be but don't actually live that way.

Ya'll feel free to talk about whatever, but if ya'll already having the same discussions on certain topics in various other threads (especially when the same handful of people are literally repeating the same talking points over & over) don't migrate that shit to other threads where other people may not want to engage.

And "NO" I ain't putting muthfukkas on Ignore when they decide they want to hijack a thread to talk about shit they are already talking about in other threads.

4. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I think it’s a way to vent. And I avoid shows sometimes when they take an annoying turn. Which is why I asked about black Lightning. But, I do understand it can get annoying when you are on here for entertainment purposes.

5. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

No one is hijacking the thread. We were just renting it for a few hours.

6. JamalSpunky

LOL. I don't even recall that conversation. I guess it ain't that serious.

That's because the same shit follows us wherever we go. We as individuals here don't get to choose how we are treated or how are images are presented. And, no, you can't escape from it in your nerdville haven. I got my copy of EW today and it focuses on the upcoming "Fantastic Beasts" in which Zoe Kravitz's character is the former lover/fiancee of the lead guy played by Eddie Redmayne. I already knew that though based on a report written last fall. What I didn't know was that Redmayne's brother in the movie also had been pining for the character Kravitz plays as well. WM/BW pairings are now so normalized and accepted that you can have multiple matches of them in mainstream tentpole flicks (such as Spiderman Homecoming). Meanwhile I don't have to be told that the black guy who plays the half brother of Kravitz won't get a love interest or be viewed as a romantic option by any of the multiple white female characters in the film. Ooooops. There I go again regurgitating the same talking points that you would prefer to not besmirch your precious thread. My sincere apologies. Nonetheless its kind of hard to avoid these issues considering that nerd shit is taking up more and more space in our entertainment chambers and has proven to be just as inflexible in terms of presenting black men as leads who are allowed to woo (or be wooed) by a broad range of women.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  7. JamalSpunky

If you have a thread on sports and guys complain about the same bad officiating again and again is your response to it going to be "well, why don't you stop complaining and go out there and do something about it?". Unless you are a moron the answer to that would be no. There are some scenarios you can't "change" unless you have a rare seat at an exclusive table, whether it be an exec of an NBA/NFL front office or a producer in Hollywood with enough juice to get a bunch of films made. Fix the problem, you say? Individuals have a better chance at doing that in politics than they do in the entertainment industry. In politics you can vote, campaign, volunteer. If you are lucky maybe a politician or an adviser will hear and listen to your specific complaints. When it comes to Hollywood you can refuse to support certain TV shows and refuse to give certain movies a dime. But there is no easy way to voice your complaints to the people in charge. Hollywood doesn't necessarily care about hearing of the particular complaints of fans anyway. Those folks are more interested in studying the data and coming up with their own conclusions.

That being said maybe there are other means such as a hashtag slogan campaign (#OscarSoWhite) or some way in which a studio can seek to hire more people like us but the former requires a lot of luck to catch on and the latter requires insiders who can set things in motion.

My one way of practicing what I preach is by not supporting certain shows and movies that I find objectionable. But I am still allowed to vent about them.

8. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

That's the black woman's dream scenario, where they don't have to actually compete with other races of women for black men

9. The Dark King

They don't WANT black men they SETTLE for black men. People don't constantly drag the image of someone they want through the mud they uplift and exalt it. It finally clicked for me this summer after the royal wedding. I have never in all my life seen black women uplift and support a union so publicly like they did Megan Merkle's. Women in general really made a big deal out of Kate and William but generally black women weren't talking about it on social media. Then I tried to remember a time when they did that when the couple was black. Even for their goddess Beyonce no one cared like that in fact there was more buzz for Serena and her white man. So it became clear they don't want us they compete with us for visibility with white folk. They constantly bemoan black men being with white women because supposedly white women have always been an agent of white supremacy and destruction of "our" people. They never not once keep that same energy when a black woman marries a white man, suddenly "our struggle" together is non existent and white supremacy is some how a thing of the past when it applies to their unions. They like every other group use hatred of black men to move closer to white men, they could care less about being with us.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. RicardoCooper

Holy wow. I'm shocked reading this from you, so on point. Prince Harry & Meghan must have been a hell of a wake-up call for you

Welcome to the dark side, young Skywalker

▒▒▒▒▒▒

11. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Zendaya and Tom Holland filming Spider-Man: Far From Home on Friday in New York City.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. The Dark King

Well for Ra's sake I'll keep with the nerd theme of the thread but I've been seeing it A LOT in speculative and science fiction literature. I've heard its been present in romance for awhile but I don't read that genre. I caught an inkling in the Angie Thomas book the Hate You Give which has been turned into movie starring Amandla (always has a white love interest yet supposedly fights for black people) Stenberg. Main character sees her friend get killed by the cops (black guy because the only purpose we serve is our bodies for their activism) yet has a white love interest and a white female enemy. Makes me think huh interesting.
    Then I read Dread Nation which by the description came across as a twist on Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter where the problem is zombies and they train black women to be protectors for white women. Interesting premise thought it might be a Buffy the Vampire type of story. Well to be fair the premise was dope until yet again white love interest black daddy who was a field hand that was never in the picture or had a name.
    Now I'm reading a Blade So Black a twist on Alice in Wonderland where the main girl fights nightmares there to protect people here. Only black man in the entire story is her dead father. White love interest and white crush. Let me also add all of these books were written black women. So its clear to me what their deepest desires, they tolerate us because they aren't number one on white man's list but they don't actually want us they compete with us there's a difference.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  13. RicardoCooper

Ra is king of the Nerdz Lounge, all must kneel. Eyeroll. Fuck that guy

14. SilverSmith

Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson in the latest set photo from the Men in Black spin-off, which Sony has pushed from its original May 2019 release date, to June 14, 2019.

[​IMG]

15. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for laying that all out. I take your point. I just don't see it as dire or adversarial as that. But plenty of dudes here clearly agree with you lol

16. The Dark King

Lmao making my point. Erasure.

17. The Dark King

How do you see it?

18. JamalSpunky

Fuckers are now stealing Miles Morales' costume colors after stealing his storylines, his modern update of school life in a more diverse Brooklyn, his best friend, etc. Another reason why I don't need to support this version of Peter Parker.

19. JamalSpunky

Let me start off with is this thread is indeed meant to be free of certain topics as Ra claimed then I do want to respect that. Perhaps a similar thread can be started in which we can have regular conversations on the the portrayal (or lack of) black men in genre film, TV and novels. Need to come up with a title of some kind. Also perhaps we can come up with a book thread in which we can promote not just books we have gotten around to reading but ones we have come across that have substantial parts for black male characters or have a black male lead. Just a thought.

I've seen the promos for both Dread Nation and Blade So Black. They are written by black women so I wasn't interested in reading them because I know all the wish fulfillment fantasies that go along with their storytelling, the number one being black ladies being desirable to ideal white men. Thanks for confirming why I shouldn't read/support any of these works but I must say I'm surprised you would even bother reading it.

This reminds me of something recent writeup on the Mary Sue site. One of its writers was rushing to the defense of a young female novelist , and if they are rushing to the defense of such an individual you know she’s back, which, sure enough, she was in this case. Seems like this black female novelist had written a YA remake of a classic British novel (I can’t recall which one) and had placed it in a modern setting. However she received a somewhat bad review from a white female critic who took issue with the way the novelist had structured the story and her use of language and boring shit like that. Well, turns out that such criticism, the type you can find all the time, was turned into a racial issue (led in part by the novelist herself) with the author being accused of being some out-of-touch snob who just didn’t get it or had held the novelist to some sort of racist double standard or something along those lines. Now from what I could tell you couldn’t really prove any racial intent of the critic even if you thought her review was a hot pile of garbage. In fact what I detected was that her was an example of people of color (in particular women of color) who thought their work shouldn’t be subjected to the same level of expectations and critique as others. Sort of like that whole blowup that occurred over the negative reviews of Ava DuVernay’s “Wrinkle In Time”. Based on some comments on the Mary Sue site a few other people got that same vibe as well. But it looked as if the opinions of white female critics were being deemed untrustworthy too so long as if they didn’t toe the line and shower black female writers with praise. So then I did a little bit more research into the actual book and learned that in this update of a classic the black female novelist had turned the lead female into a black woman which of course was to be expected. 99.9% of books written by black women tend to be about black women. But I also wasn’t surprised that she didn’t change the race of the men who were her suitors in this modern retelling. She kept them white. Maybe instead of the race-conscious Mary Sue, the site so worried about diversity, should have been less concerned about a critic’s view of this book and instead more interested in wondering why pretty much all the male leads/love interests of YA novels have to be white REGARDLESS of the race of the author who wrote them. Anyway it was another endless example that black women in creative positions will push an agenda that puts black women on a pedestal, continue the elevation of white men as the ideal male, erase white women from the picture if need be and ignore black men in general. Wash, rinse, repeat.

20. SilverSmith

A new image from Hobbs & Shaw features the first look at Idris Elba's villain, the international terrorist Brixton, in the Fast and Furious spin-off. For the uninitiated, Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham are the two title characters, Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw. I might actually like this.

[​IMG]