BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

LOL. I might've forgot to mention, if the character Star was a real person, we'd post about about her in the "Ghetto and Ratchet White Women" thread.

2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Really? That's cool. Let me know how the show turns out.

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I watched The Good Place last night and

They gave Chidi a black love interest.(Who's cute and funny.) And Michael labeled it a disaster so he is now working to get Chidi & Eleanor together. I don't understand why some of these shows do this with the black guy with the black girl to set up an IR relationship knowing damn well you know who is going to be mad about it. The Good News;)(lol) is that The Good Place fans seem to be on board with Chidi and Eleanor ship so maybe just like with Cloak and Dagger they will get shut down.

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

5. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

Excerpt from a recent interview with the Good Place showrunner Mike Schur:

(No spoiler tag needed, this interview was released prior to Season 3 premiere ~ the underlined is my emphasis.)

I think a big element that the fans will want to know about is the state of the romance between Eleanor and Chidi. Is that something that still exists with this version of the characters?

Yeah, I think of that as something that’s just as much part of the show as the afterlife/magic stuff. It’s a core tenet of the show. The two of them have a special relationship, I guess. I don’t know how to describe it, even. It’s kind of like, incredibly complementary friends who provide something for the other one that he or she doesn’t have. And then there’s also an incredibly strong romance. There’s a strong sense that these two are almost fated to be together. There’s also the fact that part of the reason that Michael’s torture arrangement failed is that they always found each other. So we’re not going to abandon that, I can almost guarantee it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. darkcurry

Yeah, but the way they chose to do it is kind of like with New Amsterdam. Setting up a IR romance between a bm and a ww through black women is like poking the bear. lol.

7. ryanpaulstewart

No. Your analysis is superficial.

8. darkcurry

What Analysis? That was an observation. I'm just observing the perceptions that have already manifested.

The PERCEPTION to New Amsterdam's IR pairing these sistas have is that they are taking a shot at black love. They are a little more blunt with it though.

I obviously don't think it's intentional I believe it is unaware of the perception that some of these black women have expressed. I know what they are trying to do and want to do with Eleanor and Chidi and for the show overall. However the perception leaves these sistas blind to that because all they see is that black woman so automatically black love is being "used", "disrespected" in Hollywood. Remember that is the "conspiracy" they see when black men are paired up with white women. They tried the same thing with Cloak and Dagger.

But maybe The Good Place will be able to overcome that. They have a GREAT fanbase for Eleanor and Chidi so possibly they likely will.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  9. darkcurry

@ColiBreh1 Found it. lol.

@Young Herschel posted it.

Fortitude

Now I just need to find both seasons to watch it.

10. ryanpaulstewart

A. Observation is analysis.

B. All of Chidi's past love interests, sans Eleanor, have been BW or Indian-diaspora.

C. The logic of your argument is tenuous at best. New Amsterdam (which I have not seen) uses a BM/WW relationship to discuss the sexual politics of black love - Yawn. The Good Place, though a highly diverse cast, has never tackled the issue of race. - technically, all the characters are dead and live in a fantastical, idealized world.

11. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Somebody hasn't been keeping up with the show LOL

12. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I think she only showed up in the second season. She was the tough master thief, if I remember correctly.

There was one episode where the building was being invaded while she was tanning in her underwear on the roof. She came downstairs and distracted they bad guys in her bra and panties while her crew snuck up on them. First rate television, to be sure lol.

These pics are from that episode.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This clip is from a different episode, but I figured you'd like it anyway.

13. darkcurry

Observation - the action or process of observing something or someone carefully or in order to gain information

Analysis - detailed examination of the elements or structure of something

To analyze is to subject to analysis while observe is to notice or view, especially carefully or with attention to detail.

Also I never once said or alluded to in fact I let you know I knew what they were doing. I watch the show. I'm speaking strictly about the perception of when a black female is involved in any storyline of a show or movie about bm/ww IR that bw have come to their conclusions, conspiracies to be thinking it is subliminal shot at black love. They think the sista is there as a prop. A show don't have to tackle the issues of race for this race obsessed culture as @The Dark King pointed out to perceive it the way they want and guess what the writers are going to do. Sometimes we be right, sometimes we be wrong. But again Im speaking strictly to the perception these black women have when they see a black woman in a love storyline that involves a black man and a white woman. We have spoke on that here before. Especially as I have pointed with those sistas that tried to invoke that perception with Cloak and Dagger but got shut down by Tyrandy shippers.

14. darkcurry

Was watching this movie with Bill Murray in it called Rushmore and spotted Olivia Williams in it and thought she looked familiar.

[​IMG]

She is married and have been married to Rhashan Stone for 15 years with two kids
    [​IMG]

Then I stumbled upon her most recent work and found out that she is on The STARZ Show Counterpart where her love interest is Chiwetel Ejiofor doppelgänger Nicholas Pinnock.
    [​IMG]
    Snapshot 1 (9-29-2018 3-42 PM).png Snapshot 2 (9-29-2018 3-42 PM).png

lol. The things you find when watching old movies.

15. ColiBreh1

I'm 5 minutes into the series premiere of "God Friended Me" that aired last night. I'm shocked they're playing hip-hop music on a CBS show.

16. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on whether they'll hook up the two main characters? I was skeptical (still am), but I do believe they were giving the vibes.

And for some reason, this woman looks way better on CBS than she did on the CW. I thought she was cute on The Flash, but she looked gorgeous to me in that GFM premiere.

17. ColiBreh1

I'm halfway through the episode. The black male lead/Brandon Micheal Hall might have competition with his Indian best friend character, especially looking at the poster for the show. But like you said, the vibes & chemistry between him & his female co-lead are all there.

18. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Let me know what you think about this after you complete the episode lol

19. ColiBreh1

LOL....or maybe not.

20. darkcurry

How's the show? I have been cutting down on my TV shows because of work and personal matters but I like to give things with IR of course a better shot than most.

The ratings are quite good for the season premiere.
    https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/god-friended-me-season-one-ratings/