Coding (C++,C, etc..) and the Various Ways it Can Be Done

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by LA, Jul 6, 2015.

1. LA

LA Well-Known Member

MATLAB user, checking in.

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

You see yourself doing any more C coding in the near future?

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Just signed up for another C programming class that starts this fall. If anyone needs someone to brain storm with I'll be here. Computer science is my minor so I'm in it for the long haul. C++ and java is next.

4. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Anyone take a class in discrete math? Was it significant to your problem solving skills in programming?

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I took it because at one point I wanted an applied math degree to become an actuary. Its far more difficult than calc not sure how it relates to programming though. I've been doing python for fun lately since I plan on either acquiring or heading a venture to build my own blockchain platform. Are you into blockchain?

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Far harder than Calc?? Did you take the Calc that had trigonometry as a prerequisite or did you take the business Calc? Big difference.

I'm not into blockchain yet but it seems inevitable that I will have some part in it considering my skill set.

I like the idea of you building your own blockchain, big ups.

7. The Dark King

Yeah I only went as far as calc 1. It was all pretty much like the math in physics 1 to me nothing too crazy.
    Well I have a new found respect for business owners and VCs. Talent in this arena is scarce and ultimately I wanted to do this with as little partners as possible but the costs are a lot more than anticipated and this market requires a lot of speed since software is so fast paced. Ultimately I want to attack to spaces with blockchain and the type of developers I need won't come cheap.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Hmm. The possibility of us collaborating isn't too far fetched. I don't know any Python yet tho, just C and I'm about to start on Java here in a few weeks, I guess it would depend on your time line.....you never know.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Your post got me doing a bit of research on the perceived difficulty of discrete math. It's about a 60% to 40% percent split. Slightly more people think Cal 1 was harder. Discrete seems to be more about logic and proofs, that probably threw some for a loop, but I'm good with that.

The main thing is that no one thought it was comparable to Cal 2, so it's still on the table. It just wouldn't make sense to take something that heavy when it's only for your minor. Lol

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Loving the class so far. I'm actually taking a version of it that's more applicable to programming. It's called discrete structures. I heard that the discrete math class is actually more difficult, but I wouldn't know. So far the one I'm taking is a breeze, it's been 100 percent logic. It's supposed to get more complicated tho.

11. The Dark King

You make me want to take the class for fun. Sounds like a good mental workout.

12. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I wonder how much it overlaps with the class you had already.

Do you know how to determine if this is a valid argument?

P
    P--->q
    ~q ^ r
    ---------

• • r

Did that on my phone so it doesn't look perfect but it's readable.

13. The Dark King

No this looks more like hs logic

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Hs? but you answered no.

15. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm done with C programming for the foreseeable future.

16. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Is the code missing something??

never seen ----> used in programming unless it was a comment such as % --->

17. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Coding in Matlab would be something like

clc; clear all;
    P = 10;
    r = 21*pi;
    A = P*r^2
    disp('The value for A is %0.2f', A)

18. LA

LA Well-Known Member

I have some experience doing For Loops, While Loops, nested loops but I hate doing them.

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Nah. It's not programming. It's structured logic applicable to programming.

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Are you initializing variables here?