The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I seen her talking about racism on twitter:
    https://twitter.com/julieplec/status/908963830746796033
    https://twitter.com/julieplec/status/838157142053965824

I seen folks call out her racism against the black female character @ColiBreh1 also mentioned
    http://writeturnlove.tumblr.com/post/126073020674/hollywood-racism-julie-plec-and-the-vampire

Then I see a show(that I watch) she produce called The Originals with a pretty cool black male character that is a heartthrob with their female viewers.

So does she only have something against black females or is this getting blown out of context? I don't watch the vampire diaries so I need more. lol. Seriously though.

2. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

BLACK PANTHER Becomes The Third Film In Cinematic History To Cross $700 Million Domestically

[​IMG]

Walt Disney Studios and Marvel Studios have jointly announced that their Ryan Coogler-directed worldwide phenomenon, Black Panther, has topped $700 million at the domestic box office nearly six months after its initial theatrical release.
    It now becomes the third film in cinematic history to reach the milestone, joining Disney/Lucasfilm's Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($936.7M) and 20th Century Fox's Avatar ($760.5 million), not accounting for inflation.

Disney and Marvel gave the film a slight boost over the summer by tweaking its stateside theater count so that it could reach the mark without an official re-release. It's now been out in theaters for twenty-five straight weeks, which is almost unprecedented in today's theatrical climate.

Overall, Black Panther has earned over $1,346.7 billion worldwide ($700M domestic; $646.6M foreign) and it has secured its place as the third-highest grossing film of all-time domestically as well as the ninth-highest grossing film of all-time worldwide, not accounting for inflation.

3. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

So apparently Captain Picard himself Patrick Stewart is coming back to Star Trek in a new series on CBS All Access

I wonder how many of the old TNG gang will be back as well, it's not like they are doing anything.

4. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

SMH & LOL. As soon as I saw the pic & read the bio of the woman behind that Tumblr blog, I already knew she gonna fit under a certain stereotype. Here's a bit info I've told by folks who been on Twitter since the early days (2008-2009), a lot of the black SJWs/Feminists came from Tumblr. They basically migrated from Tumblr to Twitter during Obama's 2nd term. So that you should tell all you need to know about that Tumblr post.

Anyways, I skimmed through that blog write-up & 1 of the things she's whining about Bonnie/Kat Graham's love interests on TVD. Bonnie had at least 2 different significant onscreen love interests on that show. Bonnie's romantic relationships on TVD were way more significant onscreen than either of Marcel or Vincent's romantic relationships on "The Originals". So I don't understand what she's complaining about. The overall jist I got from the skimming that write-up is she's mad that Bonnie wasn't treated like a lead character, even though Bonnie is just a supporting character.

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

My beef is how they called slaves hand maidens how all the white people came from money and the few black characters they had were working class. All the witches who were clearly most powerful always ended up being in service to the vampires. No strength or struggle for power they either lived in fear of the vampires or lived as servants it made no logical sense.
    As far as the Originals Marcel was the only black person who stood up to the white powrr structure that was the Michaelsons one of which they made his daddy. No pride no real power until the absolute end.

6. ColiBreh1

Vincent stood up to Klaus all the time, especially this final season that just ended.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  7. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Who the hell care about this?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  8. The Dark King

Not in the beginning that dude was another pawn like everyone else and they have magic why should they stand up to Klause Klaus should have been kneeling before them

9. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

The CW has released the first trailer for Supergirl Season 4, which reveals the Agent of Liberty as well as Russian Supergirl.

10. darkcurry

Regardless where Im getting at those are two strong black male characters that have been developed on a POPULAR TV show. Especially with Marcel. You should really check out how they did Dolls on Wynonna Earp, how they doing the black male characters on Supergirl, the weak shit they pull on the(now cancelled) show Life Sentence, and some other shows we mentioned for some examples of some weak ass, stereotypical black male characters that they do dirty.

11. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Read the thread title again, hon.lol
    I'm out of my depth too. These dudes take their TV watching VERY seriously.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. The Dark King

True but doesn't mean that the Julie Pec shows ain't trash too

13. The Dark King

Representation matters boo

14. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

I forgot to quote, sorry guys.

15. darkcurry

I like The Originals. Not super excited about it, but I like it.

16. darkcurry

That's subjective analysis. I believe people take politics and Trump too serious when presidents are selected not elected, but Im pretty sure folks will argue that against me as they have and call me a "conspiracy theorist."

Plus it's Art. And art is BOTH objective and subjective in it's representation that @The Dark King was alluding too.

17. ColiBreh1

Than, you might as well get into TVD. The Originals were a big part of seasons 2-4 of TVD.

18. darkcurry

^^ I've seen some of the episodes and the crossovers. I prefer what they are doing on their own with The Originals. But will always be open to checking it out.

19. The Dark King

TVD stop being good after season 4 like most shows

20. ColiBreh1

Yeah, TVD fell the fucc off in season 4. But, I thought Season 5 was a nice bounce back season after a slow start. The final 3 seasons (seasons 6-8) were forgettable.