The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I find it ironic how men literally kept this comic alive for decades were excluded from it. When me and my friends were debating over who would win in a fight Supergirl or Wonder Woman I never saw any women around ready to jump in. Smh

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Really? Lol

Damn!!

Come on Tdk.

Lmao!!!

These guys never know a good thing when they see it.

Look at it this way.......you can hop on the PlayStation for two hours Scot free. Maybe even power the phone off.

Guys these days.........smh lol

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

How many of the women you knew or hung around were that deep into comics though?

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Women-only screenings is an ass-backwards way of empowering female movie fans. What's the point? Are they afraid that men are going to be drinking beer and screaming "shows us your tits" during the show?

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Pick your battles. If it makes them happy and it doesn't cost you a thing...........

Why do you really care what the point is?
    Do you really hold people up to a standard of logic? *tries not to laugh* If you do, I have some news for you.

6. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

This particular situation is insignificant to me. However, it is reflective of the insular mentality that is having a negative effect on gender and racial equality.
    Also, the burden of the question 'why' should be on the screening organizers, not me.

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

This will never be a world of 100 percent logic unless the shot callers have digital or quantum circuits in place of neurons.

First of all who is going to write all of the code? Join me in the C programming thread and let's build it together.

How long do you think you can build on or withstand nothing but logic before becoming bored or completely exhausted?

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

It's ONE screening for a movie about a FEMALE character. And not just any female character, but the most recognized female comic book character. I can understand dudes getting mad if there were multiple "Women Only" screenings in multiple locations, but ONE? Really????

9. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

The number of screenings is irrelevant, one screening or a thousand, the question remains the same. Why do a women-only screening at all?

The beauty of a Wonder Woman movie is the dismantling of gender barriers in superhero films, what purpose does erecting an artificial gender barrier at a movie theater serve?

10. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Dude, seriously? You do understand the history of the all white male dominated comic industry right? So if they do a "Blacks Only" screening of Black Panther (and don't be surprised if someone actually does that) are you going to Vulcan Logic the hell out of that also?

11. The Dark King

I would. It's the same thing that annoyed me about a black Johnny Storm. Do we really need to resort to gimmicks to feel like we won something? Secondly why do we have to spit in the face of everyone who supported and made this thing popular.
    And btw it's not one screening it's in multiple theaters but even if it were just one how does that fix the past?
    This isn't like other gender or racial barriers because like I said earlier the vast majority of women could have not given less fucks about comics even 10 years ago. I spent a lot of time in Dragon's Den and you'd be lucky to see even on girl a month and even then at the time it was more about Sailor Moon.
    Men literally created and kept this character popular why ignore them? I don't get it.

12. The Dark King

You're right but we do still have to call it out when things are bogus

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

You are acting as if you are not going to be able to see the movie at all.

When I was a kid me and my cousin used to complain to my mom because she always let his sister sit in the front while we had to ride in the back.

Until one day we both realized that we were still getting to our destination and his sister had no complaints so.....

Did it really matter?

This gender equality stuff is out of hand these days. Just pay women equally then let them have the things that don't take away from you.

When did we men start complaining about being left out and not feeling special?

Good grief

14. The Dark King

Women do get paid equally though. If they didn't not a single hiring manager would hire a man

15. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Ok good. So let them have the little things that make them feel special as well. It shouldn't really matter to us. We got other things to think about. Some of which may not concern them as much. Therefore it balances out anyway.

16. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Oh for crying out loud! I've made no such implication. I've already stated that this particular situation doesn't matter to me, I'm talking about bigger concepts. (Besides I already bought my tickets to the movie). Is it really that hard to understand that the IDEA of gender (and racial) separation should be questioned? (Yes even if it's just one time)

There are times when it may be necessary to have things separated by race and/or gender, but that should always be only if the situation is warranted. We as a society are supposed to be striving for racial and gender equality. So we should always question why someone finds it necessary to separate us. So that's what I'm doing, I'm questioning why a women-only screening is necessary, and throughout this whole discussion nobody has answered that question yet.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  17. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Dude, Wonder Woman has literally been treated as virtually an "eye candy" character for most of her existence. Read up on the early Wonder Woman stories and the whole bondage and submitting to men theme of the character. Wonder Woman didn't become a relevant character until the late 1960's-early 1970's when one of the writers actually made an attempt to appeal to females (who were never big comic readers until the 90's).

But you're right. White men created and kept Wonder Woman "popular", so let's continue to cater to them and how they feel. They're at the top of the totem pole of society so can't afford to have their asses upset on any level.......

18. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

This whole "discussion" is academic because it won't effect my viewing at all.

19. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

You made the implication when you stated that the number of "Women Only" screenings were irrelevant and that the one screening was putting up barriers. It's a "Comic Book Movie" so how is it putting up barriers? Like Beasty said, it's not like they made it and no men can't see it when in full release.

20. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Did you read the rest of my post? Because it kind of feels like you didn't.