are men attracted to intelligent and successful women? a study answers that question.

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by goodlove, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Apparently, it means something to the men who commented.

It's interesting - I explained this post and the other one to my mom and she understood exactly what the men were looking for.

2. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

Bingo!

Yeah, I have know some men that actually do look for stupid and unsuccessful women. The men weren't very secure though so I'm not surprised at that.

3. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

While I look for traditional qualities such as being attractive, pleasant and such... I'm very much attracted to intelligent women.

Those that I've dated (including my ex-wife) held positions that included, school principal, teacher, attorney, accountant, social worker, and nearly all held advanced degrees. I do understand that you can be quite intelligent without a degree(s), and I've dated at least one in this category.

I'm also one who has never been intimidated by a women who was more successful and/or had a higher salary than mine. I think it's all about being able to find the common ground.

Agreed! Sadly, this does happen.

4. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

Indeed.

5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

When I was single, I only looked for intelligent, articulate, successful women to date. IMO a man would have to be incredibly insecure to not find those traits attractive. I understand the mindset that you dont want to feel like you are competing with your mate, and I agree, first and foremost a relationship should be a TEAM effort where both are supporting and encouraging the other, but I will never understand how intelligence and success in a mate could be considered unattractive if a person is secure in themselves and their own goals/achievements in life.

6. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Agreed!

7. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

Agreed. There is nothing more unattractive to me than a unintelligent woman. Well, maybe an unintelligent woman who is unfeminine.

Or maybe an unintelligent woman who is unfeminine and classifies herself as "independent."

8. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Basically? This. You hit the nail on the head. No matter how smart or attractive she is, I don't want to spend my relationship fighting with someone about who the top dog is supposed to be.

Whenever I hear women say that men don't like them because they're too smart or too successful sounds to me a lot like when men say that they can't get a woman because they're too nice. Much like "nice guy" syndrome 90% of the time intelligence has nothing to do with it, it's just that the person is an absolute asshole and is difficult to be around.

No man has ever left a woman because she had too many degrees, but plenty of men have left women because they didn't treat them well and made them realize that their lives were better off without those women in them.

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Repped.

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Apparently it meant something to you as well, since you were encouraged by their comments.

You still haven't explained to me how the femininity of a woman has anything to do with her intelligence or success in life. Perhaps you can ask your mom since you told us she understands it exactly?

11. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

So you want someone who is "semi-slow" because they're easier to manage?

Interesting.

I would think THAT would get old really quickly.

12. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Wow, that video went off on a serious tangent at the end. LOL.

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Well they did come up with a "reason"...

"Research has found that analytical ability is considered a stereotypically masculine quality, and being competent and competitive are qualities that are particularly important to men, so female intelligence might be threatening for heterosexual men sizing up a prospective partner."

However, since your opinion is that it's also biological, why and what is the wiring or deep primal urge that makes a man want his partner to be less intelligent?

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Beautifully said.

That's how my relationships function. A team effort. Intelligence should never be gender specific in these evolved times. One person will never know everything, so seeking a partner to compliment your own intelligence is prime.

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I love an intelligent woman but I think the type of career their in matters more so than just their intelligence. Anything where social perception effects advancement can make certain women difficult to deal with since they are constantly put into a position to appear as if they have it all. That kind of pressure can extend to a relationship, like someone mentioned earlier that "if I can do it you can do it too" mentality that really has more to do with things need to match up or else it looks funny to everyone else. One advantage men have is who we choose to date doesn't really effect our professional lives as much usually. So it may not be the degrees as much as the type of work they do. Like being a doctor probably has far less social bs and much more to do with success rates. Unlike finance firms in this area where who you're with effects your socializing because that's where a ton of deals happen.
    Mary may not get invited to go to the winter cabin in Killington with her peers if her husband is a school teacher or a cop because he doesn't fit in the reverse never happens (at least not that I've seen)
    So I get why "intelligent" women may come off as tough but I think it's deeper than most realize.

16. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm all for intelligent women. It's important that we can work together and optimize our talents through team work. I'm an analytical/idea person. If she is too we need to be a second set of eyes for one another and be able too give and accept constructive criticism and build collectively during deep thought. If her talents lie elsewhere we need to be able to fully trust the competence of one another and allow for the talented person in that area to have the ultimate responsibility.

17. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Truthfully intelligence is just the root of the tree. I'd say that it's the independence that the intelligence brings that is actually more of an issue.

Despite the fact that we live in 2016, the human brain still runs on prehistoric and tribal 'software'. Men and women still sometimes look at the world through caveman eyes.

Deeply embedded in the male mind is his need to be the leader of his tribe (family) This need can sometimes feel challenged when members of his "tribe" assert their independence. The funny thing is, most of the time men aren't even consciously aware of why they feel the way they do.

18. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Success and intelligence is like beauty, it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

19. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Remember the film Mr. & Mrs. Smith? The scene when they are both in their car and they are leaving the driveway and it becomes a race. Doug Liman, the director said that these two people were Type-A personalities pretty much good at what they do every time. I enjoy the company of an intelligent woman, as long as her intellect isn't used as a weapon against me. Or use her achievements to humiliate me. It is easy for both men and women who are of that caliber to say or do something to demonstrate that they are in control. I would like to be in a relationship where we can be both teachers and students, not adversaries.

20. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

I've explained it twice. Imo, you either get it or you don't.