Random Conversation 2.0

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Bookworm616, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

I haven't gone to any of my reunions. My 5 year reunion, I didn't have a date and most of my friends did so I didn't go. The 10 year reunion, I was married but we had just moved to Spain and we weren't coming back just for that. The 15 year reunion, I really wanted to lose some weight before I went and that didn't happen. And by the 20 year reunion, I was back to square one. I just gave up.

2. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

If she wanted to be racist, she wouldn't have put this much effort into her cosplay. I can understand why people would be upset since people who usually paint their skin another color are trying to be offensive, but I don't think this is the case for this girl. I didn't hear anyone complaining when Dave Chappelle painted his skin white. You can tell by the quality of her cosplay that she tries to be true to the character. This isn't some cheap Naruto costume she bought at the Halloween store. She probably dropped a decent amount of money on the costume or made it herself.

3. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

That's what I think, too. I don't find this racist at all. Something very similar happened to my girlfriend one Halloween. I think people can be a bit too touchy about things like this.

Took me a minute to realize she that it was the same girl in both pics. ...lol Great makeup job.

4. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

She's a professional cosplayer, but a friend of mine posted this on Facebook in a secret group I'm in and there were three people that had a shit fit. They were all black women, by the way, suggesting that it is blackface, when it clearly is not.

She is portraying a character called Garnet on a show called Steven Universe. I'd say....she has done a stunning job.

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The funny thing about the human race is that most people are causing problems 80% or fixing them 10-20%, no one knows how to simply stay out of the way, especially politicians.

For once I would like to see a politician collect his salary and do absolutely nothing, it would be an improvement.

6. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Doesn't take much to set sistas off. Why are you surprised.

7. Morning Star

The ones from this group responded in such a manner, not all of them were like that.

But I am sure if white dude decided to paint his face black to cosplay as Blade, would we respond the same way? Chances are? Most likely.

8. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Well stated.

It look racists to me. A person in blackface is a person in blackface.

9. Morning Star

When I think of blackface, from a historical perspective, it would be something where it's utilized to denigrate, deprave, or exercise hurtful stereotypes, which is the something the cosplayer is not doing at all, especially when she looks like this...

[​IMG]

She is from a cartoon called Steven Universe and basically, she is part of a family of gems. And the reddish due gives off the brown appearance. But, when the character already looks like a 70s blaxploitation character, I think you may want to consult the original creators in which the cosplayer was inspired by.

10. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Morning Star

False equivalency.

12. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Explain how it is false.

13. Morning Star

Wait wait...I take that back.

Now I remember, this is the girl who portrayed a character from Orange is the New Black.

Nothing offensive about it. Halloween bit and people took offense? Now I remember.

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Uuh. Yeah. So she shows up at a party and look like that and u think people are going to think of doing research?

If u have to explain why its not racist...u are screwed.

15. Morning Star

If you're at a cosplay event, chances are, people won't be offended so heavily, espeically since they would be familiar with the show and the characters anyway. If so, one would have to ask "How is this person a racist, when she is already portraying a character that looks like a 70s blaxploitation character anyway?" Blackface is more than just putting on black shoepolish, there's an act that has to follow and I doubt anyone would actually think after the immediate emotional reaction.

16. goodlove

goodlove New Member

At the event maybe u are right but the general public...it wouldnt fly.

17. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

18. Morning Star

Of course, especially when people are quick to react.

19. goodlove

goodlove New Member

She woyld be better off with a mask or any one would.

20. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

That would make the cosplay look like shit by throwing some mask on it.