THE FUCK YOU THREAD

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by z, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Shit wasn't like this in my day

What's makes this generation so special?

2. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Because the old paradigm of "work hard, get a degree, get a good job" is dead and this is the 1st generation to live through it. Corporations have reneged on their part of the bargain by not hiring & students are saddled with debt, so why should kids play by the rules? Especially when there are so many dot com billionaires out there who never finished college

It's the same with college athletes. People now know the billions schools get from TV, merch, ect. and the athletes who make it happen want their fair share more than tuition & room & board

3. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

That's waaaaay overdue

The coaches are getting millions and while tuition and other stuff is nice, I bet it doesn't even make a dent in revenue

As for the other argument, if the idea that working hard and going to college is horseshit because the corporations simply 'aren't hiring,' what's the point of recieiving any education to begin with

Grabbing certifications out of the ass won't guarantee you a job

Nothing will

The only guarantees (as close as you can get) you really have are knowing people and being a part of a networked group

Start telling kids that while you're giving them shiny free tablets

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Or recognize there are services to be done its just not going to be retail concentrated. There are still industries like blue collar jobs that have a strong need and out of fulfilling those needs comes more jobs. Hire a plumber he's going to need a work truck, he's going to need tools, he's going to need that truck and tools serviced. People are getting older and need home health aides, those aides need shoes and work uniforms, they need food and shelter. The shelter they live in might need repairs ie a plumber. Networking is great for paper pushing jobs but skill based jobs require that you know what you're doing and have the experience to back it up

5. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Having a skill + networked > got a skill

I see it all the time just where I work (hospitals are self-sustaining after all - trade worker paradise), where it's normal for family or friends to be hired in hands-on departmemts that require a trade. I've also seen shitty workers with trades risk lives and keep their job because of their connections

Guess I'm biased

6. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

But my point is, say my employer employs a bunch of people at minimum wage. The minimum jumps to what I and a bunch of other people are making and we have a greater skill set. That means one of two things: We are either now being forced to be paid the same wage that others who have fewer skills are being paid, or our employer will now be forced to give us a raise. I deserve to be making more than the minimum, based on my skills and experience. What's the right thing to do in that situation?

7. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Whatever happened to just learning and acquiring skills because you want to

Equal pay for all!

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

9. The Dark King

Whike I agree networking matters having impeccable skill sets matter more. No one cares who your cousin is if you can't properly draw blood. This is no longer the work force where a little charm can keep you in a job you really have to know your shit. Nepotism will always have its place but before that comes into play know your stuff.

10. The Dark King

Well hasn't the trend always been as minimum wage raises so does other pay? And even if you made a dollar more an hour it's better than the current desperation machine we're experiencing. I'm more concerned that everyone makes a living wage not that some make enough to justify managing people. It's a thankless job but in most situations far easier than grunt work. I'd rather boss around the burger flippers than flip them myself.

11. The Dark King

Yeah saw this. It's fucking huge right now I'm personally working on a platform to introduce cryptos into online gaming. How cool would it be if you could compete in games for an actual purse. You and a team compete against other teams for online money that can be used both in games and other places in the digital world. 2015 might be a huge year, it might be my Tesla year lol

12. Archman

Archman Well-Known Member

Your day -- the 80s and 90s -- was perhaps the last true generation with a chance to achieve the American dream young. ...Pell grants and financial aid was plentiful for school, the G.I. bill was attainable, entrepreneurship was still feasible, the government was less in debt and more capable of subsidizing training programs and the populace was more tolerant and willing with donations to assist disadvantage youth. ......But things have changed a great deal for the millennial generation......The fact that you now have 30% of white college graduate young folks having to return home to live with their parents should serve as a litmus test of the overall hardships for today's young people. ....The truth be told, you probably had it better in your day Petty. ...

13. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Well gotdamn

And yes I was poor so I did receive those pell grants and the pity of all my counselors who made sure I applied for them and similar funding

But now you have institutions offering free rides for low income families

It's nice to see that happen

14. Archman

Straight talk from an old black community leader. ......."Young man there is only 3 things out here on these streets: the jail, the hospital and the cemetery. ....Now what do you want to do with your life. ...

15. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Basically

My mom did her best to keep me away from all that

She worked in rough(er) areas where kids were hustling on the streets or one step away from being bullied/forced into that type of lifestyle, by knuckleheads who don't give you a choice

That's about as real as an upbringing as you can get so yeah, excuse me for being happy that cops are around. Bad ones need to go ASAP but the ones who legitimately make a difference are irreplaceable.

Until people start patrolling and defending their own communities anyway

16. Archman

Great personal story, hug that lady tenderly if you still have her around. ...I owe it to my grandmother. ...she took me OUT of a rough Manhattan public school 113 and bust her ass to put me in New Rochelle academy in upstate New York. ...And then, she stayed behind my ass to steadily improve my reading and math skills.....she gave me one hell of an edge for which I could never repay her....that old lady is long gone now but I am living evidence of what comes from conscientious parenting. ....

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  17. The Dark King

Westchester ain't upstate lol

18. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

[​IMG]

TOP COP: OFC. DEAN WALKER

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 a Denver man and his wife called the Denver Police as a last resort for help with their son. Their son has Aspergers, and was growing increasingly upset due to some changes in his environment. The family had just moved to a new apartment, and was short on funds. The father was two days from payday and the family was without food. In comes Denver Police Department District Three, Southeast Denver Officer Dean Walker.

Using his various skills, he calmly talked the frustrated young man down, but he didn’t stop there. Dean recognized how frustrating hunger can make anyone and took the young man to get something to eat. The family was beyond grateful for Dean’s kindness, and calming demeanor. The young man’s father later wrote in to thank Dean. He and his wife are sure that he kept the situation from escalating, and that he turned a bad day for their son, into a great one with a this simple act.

https://www.facebook.com/denverpoli...2779251380/589440094494311/?type=1&permPage=1

:smt023:smt023

19. The Dark King

So funny that you post something like this because I had to go to court tonight for a traffic ticket I got back in the summer. I was a little nervous because the judge was giving out points on everything no negogiations. Then one of the cops recognized me from school back in the day totally took care of the ticket. Hadn't seen me in awhile but always remembered I was a decent guy (his words not mine lol) and got them to dismiss it.

20. Archman

Well from my grandmother's apartment on Anderson Ave in the Bronx, I took the subway to 125th street. ...then caught the Pen Central railroad UP out of the city every morning. ..I caught the Stanford local which stopped at Mt. Vernon, Columbus Avenue, Pelham then New Rochelle. ...You are right, it was not upstate like Albany. ..but it was up enough out of that damn city. ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.