NFL 2014

Discussion in 'Sports' started by glt1980, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

3-0

Barring the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP home-game win, I have never had more fun at a divisional game in my life!!! :smt080 Insane atmosphere! :p

So in love with my Birds right now. <33333333333

Once I come off my cloud 9, then will deal with the realities of the upcoming San Fran game... and our injury/depleted O-line.

2. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

After that Arizona game I wouldn't worry about SF too much. Nick Foles is a damn good QB with a really high ceiling. The Niners' defense won't be able to hold up.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but our inside LB Mychal Kendricks is still out and Fletcher Cox didn't practice today. Our center, Jason Kelce, just had hernia surgery today and will be out for 2 months. He is hugely important to our team being the elite athlete he is. Not sure if you saw the game, but to ward off Maclin's defender, he ran toe-to-toe with Mac on a screen pass, for 50 yards!! His illegal block negated the play, but this man is incredible. So IDK, SF are 1-2, and at home. Hoping for the best outcome, though.

4. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

I love watching Steelers games, so I can drool when they show Mike Tomlin. :smt023

San Fran is on a downward spiral right now. I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

LOL, ok give me some of what you and Since are drinking.

6. Bookworm616

Look at the power rankings. The Eagles are like 4th and the 49ers are like 18th or something.

They're 1-2...no sweat, baby!

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I was reading this fun tidbit... will be interesting to see if it's right

The Microsoft Engine That Nailed The World Cup Is Predicting Every NFL Game — Here Are Its Picks For Week 4

Microsoft's Cortana went 10-6 in its NFL picks in Week 3.

Cortana, the Windows phone virtual assistant that's using a Bing Predicts algorithm to predict every NFL game, is now 29-19 on the year. It's a good record but not a great one.

Las Vegas favorites are 27-21 overall (not against the spread).

Nate Silver's ELO model is now 31-17. It's beating Cortana after correctly picking 12 of 16 Week 3 games.

Cortana uses all the data you'd expect to go into one of these prediction models — home-away effect, historical data, and offensive and defensive advanced stats — but it also uses a public sentiment variable that pulls in Facebook and Twitter data.

Cortana and Vegas differed on two games in Week 2, and each won one of them. Cortana wrongly picked the Browns to beat the Ravens. Vegas wrongly had the Bills as the favorite over the Chargers.

Here are Cortana's picks for Week 4 (Vegas betting lines as of Tuesday afternoon are in parentheses):

Here are Cortana's results so far this year:

Week 1 — 10-6
    Week 2 — 9-7
    Week 3 – 10-6
    Total — 29-19

How Cortana makes these picks
    http://www.businessinsider.com/how-bing-predicts-nfl-games-2014-9

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

NFL players express concern over battery life of new tablet playbooks

- Ben Rohrbach, Shutdown Corner

When broadcasters kept referring to the Microsoft Suface tablets used on NFL sidelines as iPads in Week 1, the technology company that paid $400 million to become "the official sideline technology sponsor of the NFL" expressed some concern.

But two weeks later players are turning the table(t) on Microsoft.

In the first year of the league's official switch from paper playbooks to tablets, a number of players expressed displeasure with the switch for one simple reason — battery life — in a Wall Street Journal article about the struggles some veterans over the age of 30 are experiencing with the new technology.

Here's a smattering of the criticism levied toward tablets in the piece.

Houston Texans safety Danieal Manning, 32: "I open it, I'm ready to go and then ... the battery is at 33%. ... "I (thought), 'Man, I've got a little battery!' I'm trying to jam as much in as I can. I'm drawing plays down and I'm doing it as fast as I can."

Cincinnati Bengals offensive lineman Andrew Whitworth, 31: "This (tablet) would work a lot better for me if it was actually able to turn on. I show up every day and it is totally dead. As (scatterbrained) as I am, this is really, really bad."

Oakland Raiders offensive lineman Tony Bergstrom, 28: "The old playbooks were as big as a family bible and you had to carry them around, so these new ones are great. But it does get scary when you see '2%.'"

Not all of their ire should be focused on Microsoft, though. First, while coaches and players are required to use Surface tablets on the sidelines every Sunday, teams can choose to use alternative technology in locker rooms, team meetings and in the comfort of their homes throughout the week.

And second: Charge your tablets, fellas.

Of course, that solution sounds easier than it is, apparently. Even when players show up to work with a fully charged battery, it doesn't always last for a day's worth of game-planning meetings, and the scarcity of outlets to charge enough tablets for a 53-man roster only exacerbates the problem.

"The time it takes to charge them up is a lot, because the thing is, we're using them to watch film and you drain the battery in no time," Whitworth added. "You use it up so fast you need to remember to go leave it (at the charging station). You are coming and going and if you don't remember, you are in big trouble."

Then again, NFL teams could probably afford to install a few more charging stations in meeting rooms, and the benefits of going digital often outweigh the detriments — watching game film from a Starbucks or receiving a coach's game plan adjustment while shopping for groceries, as I assume all players do.

Still, Microsoft may have been better off letting broadcasters refer to the tablets as iPads, after all.

-------------

How about back-up chargers for the ones that die.

9. Athena

Athena New Member

oooh girl, I can see why!!

:smt007:smt007:smt007

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Crazy Divisional game with the Skins and Gnats last night. Interceptions dominated. Loving the standings today.

11. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Exactly. So far their offense has not shown up for the second half of games this season. The year is still early and they can turn things around but without some serious changes, I don't see that happening.

My favorite FB status update about the game last night: "Kirk is looking more like a stepchild than a Cousin." Yeah, they're horrible this year lol.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Haha, love it. :cool:
    I heard a sports radio update say a local dc reporter was reporting that NY got wind of the Redskins plays coming out of the half...hmmmmm...it would explain the 3 ints in the 3rd and why the Giants DB's were running like WR's...they knew the playcalls.
    But hey, let them try to pull that stunt when we face them...Chip will knock them off the o'l block. (play on pun intended :p )

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Really? @ the puzzay 49er fans....pulling the fire alarm at 1am at the Birds hotel?! #Angrybirdsgonnasmackyouaroundnowlol

14. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member

Puzzay :smt043

Raiders getting that ass humiliated

15. Bookworm616

That's BS. I honestly hope the NFL comes out against behavior like this. This needs to be nipped in the bud. That's not right.

On a side note, fuck the Bears. :smt067

16. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Numbers is cruisin for a bruisin lol. Careful when that doorbell rings! :cool:

17. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member

Mmmmm ... dont threaten me with a good time

18. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Fuck the Eagles

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

It's something no self-respecting Eagles fan wouldn't try, lol (j/k).
    I do know that Romo or Eli never order/eat out when in town for a game :cool: :smt004

Fuck da Stizzurp :butthead:

20. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

I put money in the Eagles and they let me down!!! Fuck!!!!