I Believe That...

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by southfloridagirl, May 10, 2014.

1. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Wrong on both, Buddhism and Taoism. How do they 'not' require faith?

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

They require understanding no dogma of should or shouldn't trying to gain favor with the creator but living harmoniously within the universe living in the now.

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Can you recommend some books on Buddhism. I am not as knowledgeable about it as I would like to be.

4. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

;)

5. The Dark King

Eight mindful steps to happiness its a great start. If want anymore recommendations I've got quite a few. You might also want to take a look or a listen to The Power of Now by Eckart Tollie it's great bridge into wakeful thinking and harmonious being. The audiobook is on youtube I think.

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Went to buddist service about three times and have no idea what I did with the literature. ( This was some years ago). What I gathered from it was the stages of life, chanting, meditation etc. Just don't think I have a complete grasp of the subject. I am looking for anything that really teaches what the religion is about. Not looking for something like TD Jakes in Christianity. Ie. I know more about Christianity than the people I have talked with that actually follow the religion. Hoping to begin that path of understanding that in Buddhism.

7. The Dark King

It's a great path and if you ever want to talk about it let me know fam. I wouldn't call myself a Buddahist but I am a student if that makes sense.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I am trying to practice my religion of learning, by inquiring on some of the things that pique my curiosity. Maybe I will catch you in chat sometime.

9. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I don't believe in anything, but I am eager to see what will be revealed about the nature of reality in the future (if anything). I find the whole issue fascinating.

10. The Dark King

What do you mean you don't believe in anything? You believe in life and balance right?

11. orejon4

I mean like larger metaphysical stuff that I haven't seen any evidence of. I believe in life because I'm living, but larger spiritual things, no. Balance is a good question. I don't know. I know that most organisms have some sort of equilibrium state that they should exist in, but I don't think there is a spiritual content to that state.

12. The Dark King

Well what do you consider spiritual? The soul, conscience, life essence?
    I agree it is all confusing and at times misleading but I do believe balance exists. We inherently know when things are out of balance but the great thing about being human is we are fantastic fucking liars. We lie to ourselves all day even when something is evidently wrong.

13. orejon4

I consider all of these to be spiritual. You're totally right about balance in the sense of people knowing the earth is out of balance but lying to ourselves, I just don't think there's any spirit or consciousness to that balance. Although the most plausible spirituality I've ever heard is the Force. Makes me want to be a Jedi Knight (well, apart from all that poppycock about midi-chlorians).

14. The Dark King

How dare you bring up that disaster better known as episode 1 sir lol
    I believe the universe is alive and conscious, I won't go into certain things about plant life on the forum but next time we're in Skype remind me. There is a lot of fascinating studies on the consciousness of the universe. Does it point to deity? Doubtful, but I won't be one to brush it aside. I use to say immortality is bullshit but there are living things on this planet than can essentially live forever if not killed by trauma.

15. orejon4

We'll take this to Skype, lol.

16. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Indeed we do lie to ourselves every day because money gets in the way of everything.

But you know who doesn't lie to herself on a daily basis? Mother Nature. There may be inbalance now, but Mother Nature always finds a way to bring balance back.

And you know how that's going to happen? One or more viruses.

Damn. I want to know now! Can't you start a new thread or something, TDK? LOL.

17. The Dark King

The viruses will only touch the poor unfortunately.

18. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Not when it first hits. Viruses don't care how rich or poor you are. Sure, quarantine measures will likely work better for the more wealthy types, but by the time those measures are fully in effect, the virus will have hit any number of people regardless of socioeconomic status.

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member