WW/BM in advertisements

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by xoxo, Feb 4, 2011.

1. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Man up son

2. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Love it! Great post, Thump! :smt023

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Lol I deserve that

4. xoxo

xoxo Well-Known Member

That has to be the IR commercial of the year.

5. Elklodge

Elklodge Well-Known Member

Awesome commercial, just awesome

6. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

Wow. A depiction of a healthy, normal relationship with a dark skin brother who can't be confused for anything else.

Freddy's speechless.

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

A modern take on the classic Christmas story The Gift Of The Maji. Well, sort of. The wife did not cut her hair. But in this clip, a child will come into this world. The haters be damned.

8. xoxo

xoxo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Banana Republic

9. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 60 second Call of Duty commercial with the black guy being the lone one of his group of buddies to try to hit on the girl played by Megan Fox (or was it Megan Fox simply playing herself?).

10. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

I was going to post it but it doesn't really show any romance, but I guess it is interesting that they used the sole black kid.

11. JamalSpunky

There is no romance in that Cheerios commercial either if you think about it, just a comedic portrayal of a mixed family. But that represented a big step forward in my opinion.

The Call of Duty fits the the criteria because while there is no official romantic pairing, and it would be difficult to establish romance in a commercial like that, what you do have is gorgeous white female appearing midway through with the black guy being the one to make the move on her. The people behind the commercial could have kept him in the background and had one of his three white friends be the one to approach her. But they had him make the move, a move which indicated he was attracted to her, interested in her. She brushes him off but she does so in the way that the hot lady/ice queen typically does when a guy approaches her during an inconvenient moment. Its the typical standoffish front female characters display during a first encounter. But the way the black guy is smiling as he is dragged away you can interpret that he is willing to try approaching her again the next time he gets the chance. Maybe she will be more receptive, maybe not. But he is going to enjoy trying to break down that wall regardless.

12. xoxo

xoxo Well-Known Member

All we need is a slight implication... :p

13. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

The underlining message in that exchange between the black dude and that white girl is the opposite of what you think.

The Black dude approaches her in a stereotypical "black guy" strut. Instead of smiling or looking at him she shoots something behind him. The only eye contact she gives him is a half second side-eye as he is being dragged away by his friend. In fact as he is being dragged away, the camera cuts to a shot of her shaking her head "no" with a slightly disgusted expression on her face.

The whole exchange is basically the white guy fantasy of a black man hitting on one of "their" women and getting rejected. It's like when all the insecure, racist, trolls, on the internet were giddy when Darnell Docket (Black, NFL Star) got publicly rejected by Kathrine Webb (White, um....pretty person).

14. JamalSpunky

Oh, good grief. I stand by my initial post above for how I interpreted it so I won't waste time writing it again. I have to say though you if we are attack the media when deserved, we also must give them credit for time to time when they do something against the norm. Fox's "character" does not react any differently than any the typical hard-to-get ice queen who in reality is out of the league of the male pursuer. Did you want her to break out in a smile and blush as he approached? He's a video game weekend warrior playing with boyish toys with his buddies. He ain't some Idris Elba type smoothly walking up to her with a glass of martini. We see the gorgeous white chick doing this all the time in movies and TV to white guys who hit on them. Should we only interpret it differently if the guy is black? That would be a double standard.

You see his walk as some sort of coon strut that is supposed to represent his buffoonery. I didn't notice it enough to come away with any negative take on it. You see the scorn in her eyes as being a subtle attempt by the commercial makers as a way to stress how black men can't get with white women. I see it as a the typical hot female brush off and the dude JUST HAPPENS to be black. To me it is a sign of progress that the black guy is the one to step up and introduce himself. He gave it a shot. No shame in that. For an eternity in such a situation they would not even allow the black guy to get one hundred feet within such a chick.To each his own I guess in terms of how one interprets it. But damn sometimes we program ourselves to see things that aren't really there IMO.

15. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I guess the commercial can be interpreted in different ways.

However, you cant disregard the fact that being overly sexual is a stereotype that our society has of black men. So when the only black guy ignores the danger he and his compatriots are in, so he can hit on the white women. Like it or not, but it is playing into a stereotype. And why did the commercial feel the need to make a point of showing the women shaking her head "no" as the brother is pulled away from her?

Racism is not always obvious. The new tool of racial marginalization is subtlety and repetition.

Of course, I could be off base.

16. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I saw it the same way you did, the stereotypical, overtly sexual, licking his lips while checking her out, approach, all the while being clueless to the immediate danger that she of course has to save him from. Instead of being thoughtful, respectful and intelligent enough to be aware of his surroundings as well as the clueless boasting about the encounter, all of this screams buffoon in my book.

[YOUTUBE]1WBHej90LLQ[/YOUTUBE]

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

18. blackbull1970

blackbull1970 Well-Known Member

Saw this pool thing at a local walmart clearance aisle.​

[​IMG]

19. AlmostThere

AlmostThere Active Member

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member