The Doctor Who/Torchwood Thread

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Jul 16, 2011.

1. TreePixie

TreePixie New Member

Nope! I actually watched it with my son, and normally we have very different tastes, but he was cheering as loudly as I was at the end. Russell T Davies is a genius. His mind must be a remarkable place to live.

But I want *more* Torchwood now!!

2. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

They definitely ended everything on making it where viewers would demand more Torchwood. Some very interesting things to come from that "Holy Shit" ending.

3. TreePixie

TreePixie New Member

Oh yeah. So many different and equally compelling routes can be taken from there, with all the characters. My son was stunned that major character was killed, and refuses to believe it's true. "How can they kill off *good* people like that??" I told him he needs to watch the older seasons. RTD isn't afraid to do things other writers won't touch.

I also pointed out that in life, the good guys don't always live. :)

4. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

This is the big difference between Dr. Who and Torchwood. While there are deaths within Dr. Who stories even among some of his past companions, they don’t have the same “real impact” that’s been felt from those that have occurred in Torchwood. Dr. Who can best be regarded as the “all ages” sci-fi adventure series while Torchwood is the “adults only” version story & theme wise.

5. TreePixie

TreePixie New Member

Exactly. It's never as brutal, as out of nowhere on Doctor Who as it is on Torchwood. It is definitely *not* a program for 8 year olds.

6. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

There have only been two deaths that came out of nowhere & shocked me in Dr. Who history: Classic series companion Adric's death & the recent Matt Smith "future" incarnation's death.

7. TreePixie

TreePixie New Member

For the Whovians

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  8. TreePixie

TreePixie New Member

The weeping angel you called ugly? She can't even look at herself in the mirror. See that unemotional Cyberman? He used to be one of us. The Oods that you make fun of? They get treated as slaves everyday. The lady that you called crazy? She knows all of time and space. See the weird man with the bow tie and the fez? He's the loneliest man in the universe.

Repost this if you're against bullying in the Time-Space Continuum.

9. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

BBC America is going to be replaying the entire Torchwood series run.

10. TreePixie

TreePixie New Member

I'm tickled, I watched the first 2 episodes last night - I've only seen it once so I'm pleased - especially since I've now infected friends with Torchwood fever.

I thought tonight's Doctor Who was mediocre at best.

11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Yes it was and I've feel the same way about the last two episodes as well. The only thing that I liked with this episode was the little nod/tie-in to the Tom Baker era Doctor's storyline The Horns of the Nimon at the end.

12. TreePixie

TreePixie New Member

Indeed. I hated Let's Kill Hitler. In the Moffat/Smith era the only two episodes I've loved were Vincent & the Doctor and The Doctor's Wife.

In both cases, at least a part of that was the guest stars

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

My son who is ten, has never really gotten in to Dr. Who until recently and it was because of The Doctor's Wife episode. I don't know what it was about that episode that caught his attention fully for the first time, possibly it being the first and only time the Doctor interacts with the Tardis as one person to another, but now he's hooked. I have have a couple of hardcover books about the original Dr. Who series in our den/library here at home and he has been looking through them and asking me all kinds of questions in regards to anything Dr. Who wise since watching that episode.

14. TreePixie

TreePixie New Member

It was so well written and Suranne Jones was wonderful. I have a few books on the history which were sent to me by a friend - but my favorite Who-related book remains Russell T Davies & Ben Cook's The Writer's Tale, which covers the writing of the fourth season of the rebooted Who and the Specials.

It's cool that your son is getting into it - gives you something else to share :)

15. samwilson75

samwilson75 Active Member

Treading Water

It seems like the Smith stories are at their best during big moments. But I think part of the problem is that this run focus too much attention on Amy & Rory. I know that originally (during the Hartnell era), the show was more about the companions. But that was long ago. Amy & Rory are cool, but the show is supposed to be about the Doctor. The 11th Doctor is hilarious, but I will be glad to see the sequel to "The Lodger". I want to see a weird alien that only looks human, not an over indulgence on an already epic love story. The Doctor needs more development in my opinion.

I also wish he had more of a singular, visable enemy. Someone who could get under the Doctor's skin, and provide a deadly challenge. The 10th Doctor had a great rogue's gallery. He battled new & classic villians. With the 11th Doctor, the rogue's gallery takes a back seat to the Pond-Williams/Song family dynamic.

The recent episodes seem to be treading water until the next big moment.

I also see this theme of the Doctor being a bad influence on his companions. Davros made that plain to the 10th Doctor. Actually, the stories seem to paint the Doctor as perhaps a bad guy. I think the guy is arrogant, a bit crazy, and desensitized to danger, but his hearts are always in the right place.

Sure, each version of the Doctor has his own moral bounderies, especially the 6th & 7th Doctors.

But the main theme as the 2nd Doctor stated to Jaime was the he "has a habit of getting involved."

The finish line is fast approaching. I can't wait how the plotlines will be resolved.

16. samwilson75

samwilson75 Active Member

The Valeyard

With all the underlining themes of the Doctor being a menance, does any one think the Valeyard (the 13th & Final? Doctor) is coming back?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeyard

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  17. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

It's something that has potential to be explored, especially if they ever decide to permanently put the character of the Master out to pasture. Who (no pun intended) better to be the new arch nemesis for the Doctor than his own possible future evil incarnation?

18. TreePixie

TreePixie New Member

Wheee-WHO! I liked that season ender. I didn't think it would be nearly as good as it was. And I still want to be River Song when I grow up, though I'd prefer the 10th to the 11th Doctor to travel with

19. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Ha! I knew those miniature people piloting the robot people suits would play a big role in the finale.

Yes and just who is the Doctor really? Personally I've always had my suspicions that he's of the bloodline of Rassilon the Great, the creator of the whole Time Lord society and he's been running away from having to fufill his role as hereditary leader of the Time Lords. Now he has guilt added to the mix since he feels responsible for the destruction of his race, so he keeps running.

20. 11eleven11

11eleven11 New Member

I loved Tennant a lot, but I also loved Amy and I don't think Amy/Rory could have happened with the tenth doctor. I don't think he could have watched her be with someone else the way the eleventh doctor did, given that he'd already lost Rose too. The tenth doctor would've ended up alone...maybe that's how they end each doctor's term, once they'd be left alone it's time for a new guy.

I want to see someone a bit different for 12. Mean, moody, darker maybe. 9th, 10th and 11th have all been extremely likeable(9th&11th were growers, imho). Especially given that during the 11th doctor's time, he's become a bit more self aware, it seems time for a bit more introspection? I dunno though, camp and hyper seems to be the theme, but I don't think they can take that much further. A non-human companion would be interesting too, but probably less workable.

Admittedly, I also want to see mean and moody for my own personal gratification, but stillllllll. :p

'The God Complex' is my favourite of this series, mainly for this quote:
    "I took you with me because I was vain. Because I wanted to be adored."
    ahh, I died a little inside. If it'd been Tennant delivering those lines, I'd have cried xD