BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I'm still mixed on this version of Mr & Mrs. Smith. Like I pointed out with the casting that they were more likely going to focus on the comedy aspect than the action. But Maya just isn't giving me assassin and lover vibes in these trailers. I'm going to give it a shot because as you pointed out Amazon has done a GREAT job promoting it and trying to sell us on them within the last month.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1753466944324604358

[​IMG]
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/mr_and_mrs_smith_2024

The RT audience score is currently at 60%. I usually trust the audience score over the critics score. But based on my Twitter feed that last month or so, folks don't care for the race-bending of the characters + there was no demand for that '05 "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" film to be remade. So I can see folks giving it a lower RT score for those reasons. But also critics can often be woke idiots who are obsessed with shoving DEI down your throat and will often give bad & medicore films/TV shows higher scores than they deserve just because a film/TV show did that.

So I'm gonna have to watch this show for myself to determine which side's score is more accurate. Whenever a film's score is in the 6.0 - 6.9 range on IMDB or 60% - 69% on RT, I expect to the film to be an enjoyable & entertaining despite the film not being technicallly good. So with this show having a 60% RT audience score & a 90% RT critic score, at the very least I expect the show to be at least entertaining.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  3. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of race-swapping of established characters, but this show isn't a remake of that Brangelina movie. It's a complete reimagining with a different setup and structure, in my opinion they would've been better off changing the name to something else.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  4. darkcurry

Gonna have to check it out tonight. It is release Friday.

5. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

It’s insane to suggest these roles were “race-swapped” Donald Glover was hired for the same reason Brad Pitt was, he’s an A-list celebrity with the charm, charisma and marketability to sell the project. Industry folks seek out creatives like this because they can be positioned to carry the load of marketing it. He isn’t some model/actor hired to reverse the race of the character to exploit some political agenda. Amazon, independent of this project, signed DG to a huge development deal. The original female lead, who is white, is a writer/actor/showrunner type just like DG. Also, being a Jack and Jane Smith, to my understanding, is an espionage designation—not a character. This isn’t an actor of color taking over the white character James Bond.

6. ENKI

ENKI New Member

I'm sorry but I can't stand the term "woke" to the point where I get triggered seeing it. Quick Google definition of Woke: An alert to and concerned about social injustice and discrimination. That should be a good thing right yet the definition keeps getting twisted to the point where I am seeing someone on an interracial forum using it. The irony :rolleyes:.

Like I get it. If a Viking tv series comes out and the cast is full of black characters I get the controversy because black vikings didn't exist but that shouldn't be labelled as woke. It should be called forced pandering or whatever. Nowadays I see the word been thrown around just because a black character is in something. A diverse cast in a modern movie based in a multicultural city is called "woke" and I'm sitting here scratching my head. Interracial couples in a movie is labelled "woke". Gay person existing equals woke and so on. To me it seems like the term woke is MOSTLY used by bigots hiding the fact that they're bigots.

7. darkcurry

actually black vikings did exist. Just not to an extent to where hollywood would depict them. Look up Geirmund Heljarskinn.

I agree with most of what your saying though. It's all politics and these unbearable black people that seems to have a problem with black men. To them. It's all Jermaine's fault. lol.

• List
  8. darkcurry

I saw the first episode and I from my review I got the same thing. This is def not a remake of that Mr. and Mrs Smith film. Not even a backstory of it.

I will try to do a review of it on here. It's been awhile since I did one! lol.

9. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. I think you misunderstood my post, I was responding to what ColiBreh1 posted, he mentioned "race-bending" I said I don't consider it race-swapping because it's a different story structure.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand what you’re saying. I have friends who are working actors and creatives, and for them - what politics calls “race-swapping,” they call getting a job. IPs are the easiest way to get production capital and most IPs are from earlier periods which reflect the racist practices that produced the Black best friend trope and the like. By fighting against colorblind casting (inelegantly called race-swapping), which allows a larger swathe of potential actors to compete for a job, we replicate the disadvantages of the past in the future. No one is interested in Denzel Washington playing president Woodrow Wilson in a film. But fictitious, bullshit made-up characters with silly names and attributes can be opened up to a broader cross section of society.

11. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I still think you misunderstand me a little bit. I don’t have an issue with colorblind casting. What I don’t like is when an established character is race, swapped for social reasons. It feels like a lazy pander. When an establish character is suddenly made black it feels like we are being shortchanged, instead of getting a character designed from the ground up as a black person we are just getting a video game style color swap.

12. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that the Pitt-Jolie film was an original concept. However, a reviewer pointed out that the original Mr. & Mrs. Smith was a '90s CBS series that was axed after airing only nine episodes. I couldn't resist a chuckle, but it's true.

Donald and Maya bring the characters to life in the new Prime Video series, easily overshadowing the 2005 movie.

13. Jeffrey Tripp

Jeffrey Tripp Well-Known Member

I agree the series is definitely better than the movie.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. ColiBreh1

I watched the 1st episode last night & I liked it. But it's definitely a remake & I disagree with your reasoning for saying it isn't. Looking up the definition of "Reimagining" on Wikipedia:

Remakes & Reboots are so normalized in entertainment that it's normal to see reimaginings in them. So I don't understand how this show wouldn't fall under that. I think you said it best in your previous post that they would've been better off changing the name to something else if they didn't want the "Remake" or "Reboot" label.

• List
  15. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

The reason I said that it’s not a remake, is because the basic story structure is different. The hook of the movie was that they were a real married couple. All of the hijinks that ensued were based off them learning the truth about each other’s real jobs as killers working for rival agencies. The TV series ditches all that immediately by having them know everything about their jobs and having the relationship be the fake part. It’s that shifting of the premise that makes me say it’s not a remake but a reimagining. (full disclosure however, I’ve only seen the first episode so far)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  16. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Mr. & Mrs. Smith Among Amazon’s Top 5 New Series Debuts Ever

The eight-episode series debuted on February 2 to become the No. 1 series on Prime Video in more than 130 countries. It is now one of the Top 5 new series debuts ever for Amazon in terms of total viewers in the U.S.

Amazon, as is typical, remains tight-lipped about the exact viewership data. Next month, there will likely be more numbers available via Nielsen’s streaming charts.

It is also noteworthy that Amazon is specifically touting U.S. viewership since that is the audience that Nielsen measures. In the past, the streamer has often opted to promote global viewership, which is much harder to quantify without proprietary data from the company itself.

Because of this, it’s expected that the series will make an appearance on those charts, especially because all eight episodes were released at once, which gives it an advantage in terms of viewing time in those first few weeks (Nielsen reports viewing in total minutes).

Mr. & Mrs. Smith stars Donald Glover and Maya Erskine as two lonely strangers who land jobs working for a mysterious spy agency that offers them a glamorous life of espionage, wealth, world travel, and a dream brownstone in Manhattan. The catch? New identities in an arranged marriage as Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Smith.

Now hitched, John and Jane navigate a high-risk mission every week while also facing a new relationship milestone. Their complex cover story becomes even more complicated when they catch real feelings for each other. What’s riskier: espionage or marriage?

enhanced.watermark.fa47a581-transformed.jpg

Source: Deadline.com

17. ColiBreh1

Anyone else think episode 4 of "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" felt like an episode of "Atlanta"? The whole comedic tone & everything felt like I watching "Atlanta".

18. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

I mean its Donald Glover and he brought over a lot of his behind the camera team from Atlanta for this show.

19. ColiBreh1

Paramount+ cancelled "Wolf Pack" a couple weeks ago, so @qaz1 ended up being right: https://tvline.com/news/wolf-pack-cancelled-season-2-paramount-plus-1234944361

• List
  20. ColiBreh1

Anybody know if that new "Griselda" Netflix show starring Sofia Vergara has an IR 'ship like Griselda did in real life?