Game of Thrones & GOT Spinoffs

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Max Mosley, May 26, 2011.

1. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

To be fair . . . with such inescapable intra-family conflict . . . it could not really be helped. Hopefully next season introduces substantial secondary plots outside of King's Landing and the Crownlands like the main series did. The North has possibilities as does Essos if the showrunners so choose. I suppose it depends on how many seasons HBO actually does . . . five sounds good in theory right?!?

2. Young Herschel

After doing some research on the life of Maegor the Cruel . . . 100% YES!! They should definitely do a spinoff series on his whole life over several seasons! Oh the things that happen!!!

3. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

This seems more focused.

But yeah they could have had a side story about Stark Succession Crisis and Essos Free City Drama.

4. Young Herschel

They have it all in the development phase . . . hopefully. The pre-production for season 2 is currently underway probably. Casting rumors abound online and since we already have been introduced to House Lannister in episode three of season 1. So it stands to reason that House Stark might get introduced as the arch-rival counter balance too. HBO suits would love to galvanize their legions of fans to support "House of the Dragon" would they not?!?

5. Young Herschel

So what has been the best episode of "House of the Dragon" so far in your opinion (not including the most recent episode of course due to spoiler consideration)? I submit that "The Rogue Prince" episode 2 was the best as it so effectively built upon the series premiere.

6. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I finally decided to get into "House of the Dragon" this week because I recently found out it's based on GRRM's 2018 "Fire & Blood" prequel book (I had previously assumed HOD was an original spinoff series that HBO pulled out of their ass) + the show's got good reviews on RT/IMDB & from cultural content youtubers I follow.

I still haven't read "Fire & Blood" yet, but I was already familiar with the storyline of the book. Anyways how many seasons can HBO get out of this shows? I'm about to watch the 3rd episode & watching the promo for the episode, this show is time-jumping between the episodes.

7. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Episode 5. It lays down the foundation for the relationship dynamics that are going to be the heart of the upcoming conflicts.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Young Herschel

?? How did you only recently find out?? This thread provided that information long ago . . . like two years back when HBO ordered the series right after "Blood Moon" was scrapped. Season 5 "Game of Thrones" plants the seed in episode 9 as King Stannis was speaking with Princess Shireen before . . . you know :(. I think five seasons is plausible if they scrap anymore timejumping and just let the plots breathe and marinade. There has been some criticism online that it is all moving much too fast now and how the first two episodes were paced more effectively by comparision. I think you will agree that episode 2 compliments episode 1 as you progress onward thru the mid-season finale and can measure subsequent episodes via continuity and pacing.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  9. ColiBreh1

I was so disappointed with the final season of GoT, like most people were, that I stopped caring about & keeping up with HBO's GoT spinoff plans. I even assumed at 1 point that HBO would end up never putting out any spinoff series because of the negativity towards the GOT final season & people seemed to be lukewarm about potential spinoffs.

Ehhhh... How are they gonna get 5 seasons of HOD when "Fire & Blood" is about the same size as the individual books from the main ASOIAF book series & 1 ASOIAF book typically = 1 GOT season? Not to mention that according to Wikipedia, HOD is based on the 2nd half of "Fire & Blood", not even the whole book.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. Young Herschel

HBO would have to really slow down the frenetic pacing of plot development by expanding the story overall . . . rather than speedjumping thru the King's Landing stuff. S . . . L . . . O . . . W it down and go in-depth on contemporaneous b plots in other regions like the Vale, the North, the Iron Islands, the Westerlands, the Riverlands and the Stormlands because there are soooo many great characters in "Fire & Blood" and some have already been cast for the HBO adaptation. U could take the source material and flesh it out so much!! GRRM says he is determined to finish "Fire & Blood: Vol.2" so trust and believe there is plenty of source material yet to come!! It just depends on how strong the desire is to cover it all by HBO or just truncate it like Dan & Dave rushed the final three seasons of "Game of Thrones".

• List
  11. Young Herschel

^^King Aegon IV aka Aegon the Unworthy had family roots in Essos on his mother's side that I doubt the HBO series will ever get to cover but if U watched "Medici" on Netflix . . . there are phenomenal plotlines and spectabulous characters to cover regarding court politics and the struggle to hold on to power as an exotic new family integrates itself into King's Landing society . . . blueblooded old money don't like them lol but they become serious players in the Great Game (not a spoiler as HotD will not last past five seasons) and they brought an enforcer with them from Essos . . . "Sandoq the Shadow"!!! However, this HBO adaptation will most likely end with the ultimate outcomes of the core cast of season 1 so none of the Rogare family will ever make this show.

• List
  12. ColiBreh1

Do you think HOD should've covered the 1st half of "Fire & Blood"? Reading the summary of F&B on Wikipedia, the 1st half of the book are 4 different main storylines that potentially could each be it's own season.

13. Skaddix

I think they would have taken their time more in House of the Dragon and had parallel plots with the Starks and in the Free Cities going on...if Game of Thrones S8 wasn't trash.

I feel like they are rushing to get to the good part ie the Dance of Dragons. Whereas if S8 wasn't trash they have those parallel plots line and kept the young Rhaenerya and Alicent Actresses for the First Season. Time Jump and do more setup to characterize people like Laenor, Laena, the Strongs, Etc and start the Dance at the end of S2.

14. Young Herschel

I don't think HBO wanted to do Aegon's Conquest whatsoever. According to "The Dragon Demands", it was never one of the five GoT pitches even. They could however do a spin-off on "Maegor the Cruel" and his life from boyhood to death. That would have its own lane lol and be very, very entertaining though quite sad and traumatic too!

• List
  15. Skaddix

Maybe a movie I mean outside the Dorne stuff...Aegon kinda just rolls through with ease. The conquest is basically easy mode.

• List
  16. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I want to see a GOT mini- anthology series about people running into Drogon as he flies around the world.

17. Young Herschel

Do you think an Aegon the Conqueror would be a more entertaining movie or spin-off than Maegor the Cruel?!?

18. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

House of the Dragon is doing a good job of fleshing out the characters personalities & motivations (even with the time jumps) unlike the Fire & Blood novel which is told from a second hand hearsay narrative. Rhaenyra would probably be a decent queen if allowed to take the throne based on how she puts forth solutions to conflicts & issues in the council chamber (both as a teen & recent adult episode) but her own self centered & entitled nature is fucking her over. She knew going into her marriage to Laenor one of her duties was to produce heirs in order to continue the Targaryen dynasty, so she & Laenor obviously not even attempting to produce at least one legitimate heir in order to shore up her claim to the throne is a highlight of how short sighted she is when it comes to personal matters.

19. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

307724457_10222403702544641_4876700258313977498_n.jpg

20. Young Herschel

Twitter has been on fire since yesterday concerning episode 7 of "House of the Dragon" airing tonight at 9 pm Eastern on @HBO and a while later on @HBOMax. I don't want any spoilers so I am staying off YouTube too. Just took the Smithfield Pitmaster Competition Series Extra Tender Extra Meaty Baby Backs out the refridgerator . . . cleaned, dried, oiled then seasoned over 48 hours ago :)!! Still cleaning the grill grates I removed from the Rogue XT 525 and put in the sink to soak in detergent & bleach. Have to get RIGHT for later tonight lol and choose among Killer Hogs BBQ Sauce from Hernando, MS by Malcom Reed or Original Dinosaur BBQ sauce from Syracuse, NY. Might go old school and use Sweet & Spicy BBQ sauce by Sweet Baby Ray's ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022