Game of Thrones & GOT Spinoffs

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Max Mosley, May 26, 2011.

1. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Corlys is that one uncle who married the white woman, but she cool as fuck. You don’t have to make a special plate for her cuz she can eat the hot shit, she know how to play spades and dominoes, she shit talk, and everybody call her Rhae.
    302467319_622896686129626_8169082219614745641_n.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I feel ya, bro. I am definitely one of those black male nerds. And props for not denigrating the sisters while making your point lol

3. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

Lets hope they get laid and I wonder about the parentage...

4. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

FB_IMG_1663607490999.jpg

5. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

They are dragonseeds from Driftmark. Driftmark is an island nearby Dragonstone in Blackwater Bay. Like Dragonstone, Driftmark has a village on it filled with mariners and families of smallfolk.

6. Skaddix

That is not my point at all...the two black males you are talking about are implied to be the kids of two options and I wonder which option they go with.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Young Herschel

Well you got clue last weekend I have to believe when Lord Corlys said "There is no greater pleasure in this world than bedding a woman"

8. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

That is correct. But even though I knew that ahead of time I still couldn't help find it convenient. TPTB wanted this series to have more racial diversity so they decided to make Corlys black. Was that an easier decision to make knowing that Corlys would be a middle-aged man who wouldn't be bedding any young chicks going forward, that his son would be a gay and therefore would also not be a threat to hooking up with any of the (white) young ladies and that his daughter would be straight and can bed white men (which is presumably the more tolerable option)? And without going into spoilers there is the question of the offspring (the grandchildren) and how that conveniently shakes out in terms of race and gender too.

9. Jeffrey Tripp

Jeffrey Tripp Well-Known Member

It's all deliberate and it's everything that's wrong with Hollywood. The good thing is people seem to see the bullshit now.

10. Skaddix

@Jeffrey Tripp

I mean its the Strongs or Velaryons right?

If you make the Strongs Black well the patriatch gives good advice. Sure one of brothers gets to bang a White Chick offscreen (from the leaks I have heard about this episode) and the last remaining Strong is most likely guilty of offing his father and brother. So that aint exactly great Black Male Rep either.

We will see two more young Black Velaryons so lets see if they get to bang some chicks lol.

But you are not liable to get the Black Male Rep you want in a retrofit.

11. JamalSpunky

You have every reason to be frustrated. Honestly not enough of us get frustrated. Now I am not certain that I agree that black gay characters are getting tons of shine. The only advantage they have over straight black men on the screen is that TPTB won't hesitate to pair black gay men with white love interests.

But overall the last couple of years have not been great for black male characters, in particular so far as leading opportunities go. Despite claims to the contrary, black actresses are in a golden age. A good example is the "Foundation" series. The books it is based on had very slight female representation and next to nothing in terms of white characters. But when the showrunner decided to adapt the story for TV, he not only decided to switch up the gender of many of the key male characters (including the lead) but he also decided to make these female characters black. It had nothing to do with black actresses beating out anyone, it was simply a matter of the showrunner making the decision to go down that road. And that's cool; that's his right. Just wish that spirit of generosity was directed at black actors much more. I have been keeping up with the numbers for a long time and just by casting notifications the past few years I could tell that a lot of young black actors were seeing their careers stalled as a result of the opportunities just not coming for them. I could write a brief book about it but I am not about to get into those details in this thread.

Its not trickling down to us (black men) anytime soon and even in moments when it does (like Black Panther 1) black actresses by large are still eating during those circumstances anyway. Meanwhile, just as I predicted a few years back, the great opportunities that are given to non-white actors are more likely to go to Asian actors (Chinese, Korean, Indian, Pakistani, etc) or Latino dudes than black guys.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. JamalSpunky

No argument there. Although I was never expecting that type of Black Male Rep with this show.

13. Skaddix

I would agree with the overall analysis insofar as the shows I watch which is Sci Fi, Fantasy, some Dramas...I don't much watch Comedies. Honestly I say the only edge Black Males have over Black Females is Black Males with various skintones can eat ...whereas Black Females who aren't lightskinned basically have to do all the work for themselves to get a role...ie write and/or produce your own content.

As for an uptick in Black Males...I mean does it feel that there are more Gay Black Dudes around. I suppose so that might be a general uptick in gay characters though so hard to draw any conclusions.

BP is a good example...brought a lot of females in good roles and good Black Male to Black Female balance in Movie One...In Movie 2...Black Males are basically extinct outside some cameos and Mbaku...and all Mbaku is going to do is get brutalized by Namor.

14. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Please remember to use SPOILER TAGS (multiple complaints). Thank you.

• List
  15. samson1701

This is exactly the kind of thing I’m thing I’m talking about. Glad I’m not the only one seeing this trend. I was beginning to wonder if I was just being too sensitive. But, you summed up my feelings about black men in this show perfectly.

I give them a little leeway because I haven’t read the books and I don’t know how things are going to play out. So, I hope they’re laying the groundwork for a dope straight black male character in the future. But, as it stands, I don’t see that materializing.

On a related note, I find myself in a position to publicly write about this subject. But, I’m not sure that I can without risking canceling my writing career before it really gets started. Given the current climate, no one will make any attempt to understand the nuances of this situation. Plus, I’m not trying to get lumped in with right-wing social con-servatives. The thought that my work could be used to bolster their homophobic agenda is something that bothers me quite a bit.

There’s an old saying that goes, “Not all money is good money.” This is shaping up to look like a great example of that saying. …lol

16. Skaddix

I mean depends on if dope includes having sex....they could get sex scenes but I am not sure they will. This show is also far less interested in sexy times.

But as I said you racebend the Velaryons or the Strongs...and well this episode should show what occurs if you bend the Strongs. Do you want a young gay black dude or well Clubfoot?

17. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

The Rise of the Dragon:
    An Illustrated History of the Targaryen Dynasty, Volume One

This lavish visual history—featuring over 180 all-new illustrations—is a stunning introduction to House Targaryen, the iconic family at the heart of HBO’s Game of Thrones prequel series, House of the Dragon.

For hundreds of years, the Targaryens sat on the Iron Throne of Westeros while their dragons ruled the skies. The story of the only family of dragonlords to survive Valyria’s Doom is a tale of twisty politics, alliances, and betrayals, and acts both noble and craven.

The Rise of the Dragon chronicles the creation and rise of Targaryen power in Westeros, covering the history first told in George R. R. Martin’s epic Fire & Blood, from Aegon Targaryen’s conquest of Westeros through to the infamous Dance of the Dragons—the bloody civil war that nearly undid Targaryen rule for good.

[via Penguin Books]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  18. Young Herschel

Let me just say . . . the HBO adaptation of "Fire & Blood" is charting its own course distinct from the books just as the main series did at various junctures so time will tell what's what with these characters. Are you already overlooking someone currently on the series?!?

19. samson1701

The show is reasonably good. Nowhere near as good as GOT. But, worth watching.

What’s dragging this show down is it’s getting to be too much of a soap opera instead of a fantasy drama.

20. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

It absolutely is a soap opera, but it strangely works for me.