Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

You just have to rent it . . . I have already nearly spoiled this movie lol. The trailer told me enough on Amazon to spend a couple quarters on it. The ending of the movie leaves you with enough to make your own projection of where the protagonist was going next in her life romantically.

2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Yeah and even If the movie isn't my cup of tea I would still post it because others could like it. I recommend if you see it post it and let us judge. lol.

3. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

I guess honestly I bought "Where is Good" because I am a dark, demented horror movie enthusiast and I wanted something vastly different in my Amazon movie theater. It's the only Republican Christian movie in there lol.

It really does not fit in with the other movies like Havoc III the unrated version but I do have an affinity for movies that are unique and rare in some significant way. I just started watching it again the other day and well . . . I still like it because it doesn't fit the mold of my movie tastes and that's giving it it's own flavor.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. darkcurry

Redbelt 2008 martial arts film and couple(husband/wife) Mike(Chiwetel Ejiofor) & Sondra(Alice Braga)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

was pretty decent for a standard Martial Arts flick.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

More importantly. this is a David Mamet film.

6. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Just finished "California Love". The film is cringe & heavy-handed AF. This film is much better fit for Lifetime than as a theatrical release that we originally thought it was going to be.

7. darkcurry

Yeah I seen it and I had KIND of the same reaction but this is really out of lifetime's formula. The acting and script is a little better than most lifetime movies. But as I said they got nearly everything right about this true story. That's rare for an adaptation. I gave it a C+.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  8. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Funny enough I saw this movie on Lifetime a few days ago.

9. darkcurry

Brian Tyree Henry and Jennifer Lawrence in Lila Neugebauer’s Causeway.

Coming November 2022.
    [​IMG]

They renamed the movie... again.

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  10. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Finally watching the 2016 film "The Bounce Back" starring Shemar Moore & Nadine Velazquez:

Having rewatched "Hitch" a few months ago & looking at The Bounce Back's trailer, "The Bounce Back" seems like a ripoff of "Hitch" except that Shemar Moore's relationship expert character caters to women while Will Smith's relationship expert character in "Hitch" catered to men.

11. darkcurry

Never even heard of this film. Thanks!

12. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Hate to break it to you guys but from what I am hearing from its world premiere from the festival's there is no romance between them, just friendship..The film hasn't been completely spoiled but there is a huge hint in one review that Jennifer's character is gay and if that is the case I am certain the film will find a black woman for her love interest.

Anyhow this same review ever points out how the movie appears to be steering itself to a romance between Jennifer and Bryan but then sort of "course corrects" itself or something like that.

If I am wrong about this I apologize ahead of time.

But, hey, take comfort in that apparently the writers of The Woman King manage to manufacture a made up romance between one of the black female soldiers and a white dude fighting for the enemy. You know how Hollywood likes its IR in only one form.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. JamalSpunky

Here may be some alternative choices to get somewhat excited for

"Dead For A Dollar" is directed by old-school director Walter Hill who had a history of making movies with better than average black male characters back in the 80s and 90s. The subplot of the Buffalo soldier and the white wife intrigues me as does the fact there is another black male with a major role too. Now I am sure some of you will be triggered by the quick stretch that starts at 1:44 but perhaps we should not jump to conclusions. The film looks a bit too old-timey but it has gotten decent reviews out of the Venice film Festival.

Empire of Light is a major film by a bigtime filmmaker and its clear intent is to win awards. So-so reviews have lesson its chances of doing so unfortunately. There is an IR love story of a sort going on in the film involving a black guy and a white woman. Unfortunately she is MUCH older.

14. darkcurry

Yeah they sold this as a dramatic romance until people actually saw it and from the reviews I read it sounds like a friendship with a gay woman.

15. darkcurry

Olivia Coleman is 48. Sometime a different non "glitzy"(so to speak) IR romance is good. The trailer left me intrigued by their story.

Dead For A Dollar reviews are seem to be describing Rachel Brosnahan and Brandon Scott's character into a black man and woman giving the audience of how they both face discrimination. It seems like a political relationship more so for the film goer.

Empire Of Light has my attention more.

16. Jeffrey Tripp

Jeffrey Tripp Well-Known Member

That description of Dead For A Dollar pisses me off, when it comes to discrimination a White woman is not in the same boat as a Black man and I hope they make that clear in this movie. If they do that I'll just have to see how it plays out maybe they will fall in love or something. I just read a review and it sounds like she might be using him.

I find Empire of Light more intriguing and I have no problem with a young Black man older White woman pairing.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  17. darkcurry

Yeah I don't care how young, hot or famous the actress is in bm/ww relationships the story and their relationship arch are the main components to the formula that will make it worth watching. Now I say this with the knowledge that some people have differences of opinion on how they like a story and relationship arch but regardless they have to be good!

18. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

Well I say the main lady needs to be at least one of those things. But I get your general sentiment.

19. JamalSpunky

We have a movie coming out getting raves that is largely based on true events called "The Woman King" which deals with Africans fighting against European colonizers during the period of the slave trade and the writer and filmmaker had the audacity to throw in some subplot (which is not based on true events) that involves a forbidden romance between one of the African women and a European colonizer. I'm sorry but I am too damn pissed off over THAT nonsense to have any anger to spare for what upsets you about Dead For A Dollar. With all due respect. I just finished watching that Hulu Predator film "Prey" and I couldn't help but notice that even for a work of pure fiction, the people behind that movie had the common courtesy and sensitivity to not have our Native American female lead fall for any of the largely repugnant French settlers who were doing harm to her people. But in a story like The woman King which is about pushing back against European exploitation and is based on real life events, hooking up a black woman with a white guy is still a priority.

In my opinion (and its just an opinion) black men need to prioritize where we direct out anger towards. White guys will overrun the YouTube comments section of a relatively innocent 30 second commercial that has a black man and white woman at the center, making accusations of agendas, agendas and more agendas.

I apologize for going on a tangent. Maybe I'm in a bad mood. But I wish black men would wake up and focus on the limitations being placed upon characters who look like them. And, so, getting back to Dead For A Dollar....yeah, black men had it worse overall than white women. But white women were still nonetheless lacking in rights given to white men. So, yeah, in theory a black male and a white female could share some common ground. Hell, black men got the right to vote in America (though it was later taken away) before white women did.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  20. Jeffrey Tripp

Jeffrey Tripp Well-Known Member

I've heard about that Woman king movie and that's par for the course and pisses me off even more but that don't have a thing to do with what I was upset about when it comes to Dead for a dollar so I don't know why you coming at me. I have the right to be upset and offended if they try to equate the Black man's experience with that of White women. White women have had enough power to play a role in the oppression and subjugation of Black men. Black men haven't had that power over White women or anyone else for that matter. I don't have a problem acknowledging some of the rights that White women lacked but I am not cool with the false equivalency in comparison to what Black men have had and still has to deal with.