Random Political comments...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Just like Trump is actually a millionaire with say 20 million in cash reserves.

2. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Typical right wing projection. The word is QAnon, and it's time that you own your own nutcases in your party. There is no equivalent on the left who have taken over the Democratic party.

3. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Interesting....however, it's also a strawman fallacy. A vasectomy is a proactive medical procedure done to prevent pregnancy. Abortion is a reactive medical procedure done to end a pregnancy.

4. andreboba

They're still both done to ultimately prevent the unwanted birth of a child, both are alternative forms of birth control. It's a thought problem; no man would ever allow a political movement to force them to get a vasectomy in an effort to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

That's how ridiculous it is to take away choice from women by MEN when it comes to abortion.

5. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Yes, but actually no.

I understand what the man is trying to say, He's making the same half-argument a lot of pro-choice people make. He is following the same talking points that have been regurgitated over and over since the 70s. By now pro-choice people have got it down to a science the way they choose to keep steering the argument back to "female body autonomy" and away from the grim physical reality of what abortion entails and the moral ambiguity of drawing an imaginary line in the sand and deciding which side of the line is a human life.

Also if we men really want to be allies for women, we probably should stop silencing the voices of pro-life women by stereotyping pro-lifers as MEN "trying to take away women's choices". Despite what the media wants people to think, the pro-life movement is overflowing with women. Pro-life is a women's issue.

6. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

#HerBodyHerChoice

Whatever that choice may be is up to her and only her. If a man can tell a woman where and how to conceive, then she gets to decide whether or not she wants to keep the child and it's really nobody's business what she ultimately decides to do.

Flat-out.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  7. andreboba

I got it, Thump.

But when 4(?) men and one woman on the SCOTUS are on the verge of ending Roe v Wade, the bottom line issue really does come down to men taking away choice from women about what they want to do with their bodies.
    The issue is about CHOICE, not pro life versus pro abortion.

8. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Pro-Choice, #HerBodyHerChoice, body autonomy, reproductive rights, etc. are all brilliant and damned effective marketing slogans. They are so effective that most people don't even realize that those slogans and hashtags don't actually address the issue at all.

C'mon let's be real for a minute, nobody cares about the personal choices of other people. This shit was never about that. Like I said above, that idea was cooked up in a marketing department somewhere, because they knew, if they can make the opposition look like they are against "choice" or against "women's rights" pro-lifers automatically become the "bad guys". If pro-abortionists debated this issue on what it's literally about, they know their entire (non-choice) argument is an arbitrary line in the sand.

9. andreboba

Except no one is pro-death or pro-abortion. The issue really is about choice for a woman if she has an unwanted pregnancy. I personally would never encourage a woman to get an abortion, but again it's her choice, or should be.

If a woman is considering an abortion, I believe she should make that decision in 8-10 weeks. I am also really in favor of the morning after pill, which ends potential conception hours after unprotected sex.

Look, if this debate was left up to women exclusively, IMO there wouldn't be an issue.
    Let's see where this goes.

Conservatives have been running and winning elections on being anti-abortion for decades. Now the dog has finally caught the car.
    Illegal immigration, guns and being anti-gay/trans doesn't motivate the GOP base the same way abortion rights does.

The GOP made a suicide pact when they decided to marry their conservatism with right wing evangelicals. It's astonishing to see how many 'conservatives' were pro Roe v Wade in the 1970s.
    Even now, almost 70 % of Americans are pro-choice when it comes to abortion.

IMO the right wing SCOTUS is making a cataclysmic mistake.

10. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I had a whole thing ready to reply, but I keep forgetting my self-imposed limit on politics. lol

So I'll end here for now, but I ask that we remember that the "choice" that keeps getting brought up, isn't an abstract concept, it is literally a choice of life or the cessation of life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

20220504_051248.jpg

12. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Is it also a war on women when a man who now, after going through puberty as a man, decides he's a woman and competes in women's sports??

13. Bookworm616

Abortion is a messed up form of birth control. Wow.

14. Bookworm616

This decision by the Supreme Court is just putting the decisions back to the States, where it belongs. That's it.

15. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Athletic competitions where a cis woman might be at a disadvantage, versus a woman being forced to give birth no matter the reason for her pregnancy or the consequences.

Is that really the comparison you want to go with? This isn't even comparing apples to oranges. This is compaing apple seeds to orange groves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Bookworm616

That is also a "war on women". And overturning Roe v Wade only puts the abortion issue onto the states, where it should be.

The sky is not falling, no matter how badly the Dems want it to.

17. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

Wow, I see what you did there. Way to adjust the narrative. Lol

I'm sure if this were 1862 as opposed to the year 2022 you would absolutely be a staunch supporter of "State's Rights" as well. So I'm at all surprised.

18. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Civil War fought because of "State's Rights" according to all of the individuals who fought on (or at least agree with) the losing side of that war? It's fascinating to see how certain segments of the population cling to & seemingly romanticize that particular archaic way of thinking/living.

And keeping in what is suppose to be the theme/purpose of this site, I also find it interesting that individuals who are cool with State's Rights don't think interracial marriages wouldn't be on the list of things to be made illegal in certain states if State's Rights is the way to govern this country. But I digress since interracial marriages/relationships for some folks posting on this site is simply just cover/shits & giggles/internet cosplay at the end of the day.......

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  19. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

"You looney leftist are just fear mongering & being hysterical".

20. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]