BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I assumed the brotha, James (played by Garrick Bernard), on "Single Drunk Female" was just a guest star or minor recurring character when I originally posted that 1st promo, but after looking through Wikipedia, IMDB, & google searching the show; looks like he's part of the regular cast & potentially the main love interest reading this line about his character on justjaredjr.com: "James is a fellow member of AA who Sam shares a surprising connection with."

I'm already familiar with the lead actress, Sofia Black-D'Elia, from her playing the daughter on the now cancelled FOX sitcom "The Mick" & from a couple of CW shows ("Gossip Girl" & "The Messengers"), so I guess I'll jump into the show.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Summerred

Summerred Well-Known Member

I hate the love triangle thing and i knew they would bring back the white guy in the picture, it's so typical. They couldn't even let the IR last for so long before break them.

3. Jeffrey Tripp

Jeffrey Tripp Well-Known Member

They wanted they little "Diversity" points and Sohpia Bush got to show she's woke and then back to regularly scheduled programming.

4. Summerred

Summerred Well-Known Member

My problem with woke culture from celebs it's that this always look performative, i don't forget they are public figure and need good and positive publicity, nobody wanna be cancelled today. If all she need to do to show she is woke is kissing a handsome black man on screen, please, such hard work.
    Even witthout the IR situation here, look like Good Sam is just another regular medical drama, not very special or great and this is the main reason why isn't doing so great with the views. Sophia isn't becoming the Ellen Pompeo from medical dramas if this was her goal.

5. XenNChill

XenNChill New Member

There's always that concern for me with interracial couples on network tv. Steaming service exclusives, I'm less wary (doubly so if the setting and/or characters aren't American). But CBS, FOX, etc? I never trust that a BM/WW relationship can be handled respectfully and cleanly, there's ALWAYS something going on (black man is usually gay, cheating, or dies). I don't expect roses and sunshine constantly but damn. This one hurts though because I can't lie...Sophia Bush is fine as hell lol, I'm down bad right now.

Just going to add Good Sam to the list of beware. It's still early, probably going to get cancelled, so no expectations. But maybe there's a chance it's a temporary little drama relationship flag. I doubt it but hey, a little hope never hurt anyone.

6. ColiBreh1

How do you feel about how basic cable networks & premium cable network handle it?

7. XenNChill

XenNChill New Member

About the same.

There have been some exceptions but most of them do the typical "Tease it but never fully embrace it." Unless I see Kristin Bell or someone like that attached to it, I know not to expect a happy ending for them, if they even get one at all. Cable and premium are still largely at the beck and call of these out of touch advertising and marketing oldheads that have their own views on the matter of BWWM relationships. Only in the last few years have they even embraced the idea of a leading black male that women want to be with beyond mere fetishist bs and stereotypical thug/athlete/rapper roles. I don't even want to get started ranting on this because as a blerd, we are grossly underrepresented in media and when we do get roles, it's the minor support techie stuff and usually it's a black woman with a white male love interest. Even if the character isn't a blerd, they aren't permitted to just be an average Joe/Jamal. It's either the usual typecasting or bad writing that makes the couple fall flat.

I'm rambling, back to the question.

Network and basic television: BMWW usually have zero shot of anything real long term or the show gets canceled right when it looks like the couple could be for real.

Cable and premium cable: A bit more willing to take chances with the freedom they have as far as content ratings but it's rarely ever well written or even a good couple that stands the test of time. Again, there are exceptions but there are far fewer than most would care to admit.

Streaming exclusives: I appreciate Netflix so much. I'm pleased that black men are allowed to be leading men and not typecast into the same damn archetypes and roles. I don't even like anything attached to Shonda Rhimes but I was in the rafters clapping because of Bridgerton's success. One of their most popular titles ever and it's about a black duke with a white girl, getting her pregnant and the world didn't burn down. The Letter for the King (even if that ending had me hella salty, that just felt like a twist for the sake of it and trying to be too clever; "How can we be non cliche?"), that French Christmas movie, Stranger Things, Bird Box (even if it didn't end the way I liked, he was allowed to be soft spoken but strong, something black male leads don't usually get unless they're a dangerous drug dealer), Lupin, and on and on.

Hulu is taking steps so I can't even hate on them but Handmaid's Tale is just a step.

...We don't talk about Prime...that's the cousin at the cookout who showed up even though you didn't invite him. He's harmless but he offers nothing, just sits there talking and smiling and trying to get you to come to his house and watch the game on his new TV with him. He's not a bad person so you can't just tell him to shut up, leave, etc. But he's not your favorite cousin.

Disney+ is a joke and I say that as a former Disney kid. Marvel is saving their asses right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

Yeah the more network/basic cable stuff tends to go two ways. Either its bait and switch where the Black guy loses or they play will they wont they for way too long and the show gets cancelled before anything happens.

I say the advantage Netflix has is more just volume and content diversity though even then the pickings aren't great for us.

Amazon Prime is as you note just an eclectic mix of content.

Disney+ just is never going to give us IR too conservative a company (or family friendly as they say) and they don't give you much romance anyway. Maybe they will start producing more adult fare but that seems awhile off.

9. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

10. Wallace West

Wallace West Member

So I´m seeing Lupin Season 2 finally, and wow, am I the only one who really REALLY dislikes Claire? How can she even try forget about Asane? And, like always, white woman tries forget black man dating a white man...

11. daemonova

daemonova Well-Known Member

12. darkcurry

Another buxom fit blonde involved in a IR storyline on RAW. Third time will be a trend. lol.

13. ColiBreh1

A couple of Sam & James clips from the series premiere of "Single Drink Female":

• List
  14. Wallace West

Wallace West Member

So in Superman and Lois series, Lana Lang is about to divorce white man # 300 cause he cheated her with another woman. On comics, Lana Lang dated Steel John Henry Irons, so... maybe she will date John? Or maybe Lucy Lane, who has dated black men too (on comics dated a journalist, on live action she dated James Olsen)

15. darkcurry

These clips makes this show look a little better than the trailer did. Maybe I'll check out the premiere. Is it something you can get into, @ColiBreh1 ?

16. Rollx007

Rollx007 Well-Known Member

precisely

17. ColiBreh1

Well "Single Drunk Female" is a half-hour sitcom, that airs back-to-back Thursday nights with "Grown-ish", instead of a hour-long Dramedy. So it isn't gonna be as time-consuming as other Freeform shows. The characters are in their late 20's instead of being teens or college undergrad age like the typical Freeform show. I've only watched the first 3 episodes so far, but it seems perfectly fine to quickly binge during the Summer when nothing is on.

• List
  18. daemonova

daemonova Well-Known Member

Kareem had a white girlfriend

19. beeehave

beeehave Active Member

Actually that is the fifth time that a buxom blonde was involved in an IR storyline in WWE. Years ago the WWE made the late wrestler Viscera quite the ladies man. He was involved in storylines with Trish Stratus and Lillian Garcia, as well as hot brunette Candice Michelle. And he locked lips with all three of them. It was quite a sight.

And by the way Trish Stratus locked lips with the Rock.

20. darkcurry

I thought those were more of joke storylines though. I'm talking about an IR.